Still worth buying the Mavic Air?
6481 28 2019-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Hi everyone, I just sold my Phantom 4 and I would like to buy a Mavic Air fly more combo for it's portability and good reviews.
Is still worth buying a Mavic Air in 2019?
Are you advising me to update the firmware or not? The P4 firmware update wasn't a smooth ride.
2019-5-7
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

You may want to look at this thread https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=186921

Regarding updates, my Mavic air is updated to the  latest version without any issue.
2019-5-7
Use props
gmozo
lvl.4
United States

my opinion is that just buy the latest drone or wait until a new drone but i think that the mavic air is a pretty nice drone, so if you want it, i'll say go for it buddy
2019-5-7
Use props
Cepheroh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1691959 ft

Singapore

Mavic Air is a good choice.
2019-5-7
Use props
fansb1b783dc
lvl.1

United States

My Mavic air was my first drone purchase. I have no regrets. Great flight time, with 3 batteries. Excellent photos & videos. I enjoy the panorama modes and opt to combine them manually to create grander views. Happy Flying!!!
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's still a very relevant and capable drone
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansb1b783dc Posted at 5-8 00:18
My Mavic air was my first drone purchase. I have no regrets. Great flight time, with 3 batteries. Excellent photos & videos. I enjoy the panorama modes and opt to combine them manually to create grander views. Happy Flying!!! [view_image]

Stunning shot
2019-5-8
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good question. Think the answer depends upon how much you are prepared to spend as much as your requirements. There will always be  a newer / better specced product available.  Upgraded to the Air from a Spark. The better image quality and longer flight times have made it a very worthwhile upgrade. If i was a pro photographer, then the Pro with the bigger sensor would have been the one for me. The fly More Combo gives you three batteries and whilst I don't get 21 minutes per battery, a trip out with three flights is usually enough for me for one day. It's portable, lightweight  and a joy to fly. I've upgraded every time there's been an update on both the Spark and Air, with no issues at all. Am on iOS though which I think is a "better" OS.  Purchased a refurbished kit from a UK retailer and saved £200 off the then new price. Good luck whichever you choose.

Southwold

Southwold
2019-5-8
Use props
fansb1b783dc
lvl.1

United States

A J Posted at 5-8 00:22
It's still a very relevant and capable drone

Thank you.
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You're welcome
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-8 00:30
Good question. Think the answer depends upon how much you are prepared to spend as much as your requirements. There will always be  a newer / better specced product available.  Upgraded to the Air from a Spark. The better image quality and longer flight times have made it a very worthwhile upgrade. If i was a pro photographer, then the Pro with the bigger sensor would have been the one for me. The fly More Combo gives you three batteries and whilst I don't get 21 minutes per battery, a trip out with three flights is usually enough for me for one day. It's portable, lightweight  and a joy to fly. I've upgraded every time there's been an update on both the Spark and Air, with no issues at all. Am on iOS though which I think is a "better" OS.  Purchased a refurbished kit from a UK retailer and saved £200 off the then new price. Good luck whichever you choose.

Nice shot Chris
2019-5-8
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-8 00:35
Nice shot Chris

Thank you, my first time out with the Air earlier this year, an easy-peasy HDR. Need to revisit Southwold very early one morning when there's no one around for a sunrise shoot.
2019-5-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ChrisJG Posted at 5-8 00:40
Thank you, my first time out with the Air earlier this year, an easy-peasy HDR. Need to revisit Southwold very early one morning when there's no one around for a sunrise shoot.

Always great when there is nobody to disturb - especially on the first few flights
2019-5-8
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I still use my Mavic Air. It takes great pics and video and is more portable than my other drones (including the Spark because the Spark doesn't fold). I am still disappointed in the range when there's a lot of wifi and electrical interference (like in neighborhoods or cities). And the battery is so-so (better than the Spark but not as good at the Mavic Pro). But when I travel it's the drone I use the most because of it's size. My second LEAST favorite thing about the MA is that it's loud (sounds like angry bees)

I would say buy it, but also knowing drone technology, be prepared for a price reduction within 3 months of your purchase date. Especially on older drones this is kind of expected. The better deal is always found right after you buy it.
2019-5-8
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

If you want the most portable drone get the MA, if you're coming from a P4 you might be disappointed in the flight times and range.

If I was you I'd look at the MP2 and see if it's small enough for you.
2019-5-8
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide the best feedback you may need to decide if you would like to purchase our Mavic Air within this year. Thank you for your continued support.
2019-5-8
Use props
wjkrysak
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2957598 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have enjoyed over 330 flights on my Mavic since purchase last year (02.18) Recently crashed (pilot) error and had it repaired (replaced) Timely repair and return. I like that it is portable, reliable and I have no problems with updates. Good luck with decision.
2019-5-9
Use props
SD_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Got rid of mine, wasn't too thrilled about the wifi connectivity and flight distance capability.
2019-5-9
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks everyone for their input!
2019-5-10
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

really really specifically depends on your dronining needs and desires.   my opinion, since coming from Phantom 4 platform, i suggest Mavic 2 platform.  mavic air is just little too limited, being as stuck on wifi is exceptionally brutal as anything between you and the drone it can lag and drop frames. in fact  i was attempting a POI circle, flying around a tall towering abandoned building, as flew around the building lost signal and ruined the shot had to fly above the building and further away from it..  with occusync that's not really ever been a problem, i can always get the shot from any side..   same story with bridges, flying under bridges with mavic air is so much more riskier than mavic pro or mavic 2, wifi signal drops significantly, and may drop signal under the bridge it and it attempt to RTH and it crash into bridge and fall into water.  

2019-5-10
Use props
Hillsdale.
lvl.2
United States

Here is a short video from my Mavic Air on my second day of flying.
2019-5-12
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

i got mine at costco and immediately took cherish the absolute cinematography coherency resolve surpassing prior costliest models (evolved).
this entity has assured flying captivates your incessive involve. you actually sacrifice yourself to attain cinematography triumph.
now that IS self motivation!
while true the technicalities can ensue frustrate, this forum as well as entity's expertise, do serve well, globally.
people unfamiliar of mavic air who witness the cinematography can not comprehend this technological capability stereotyped as hobbiest toying.
I've not been unfortunate as some who've succumbed incidents damaging their mavic air.
so attentiveness to details involved flying, includes homework (e.g., rewriting knowngood firmware), is par
2019-5-12
Use props
cjr888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 5-10 20:43
really really specifically depends on your dronining needs and desires.   my opinion, since coming from Phantom 4 platform, i suggest Mavic 2 platform.  mavic air is just little too limited, being as stuck on wifi is exceptionally brutal as anything between you and the drone it can lag and drop frames. in fact  i was attempting a POI circle, flying around a tall towering abandoned building, as flew around the building lost signal and ruined the shot had to fly above the building and further away from it..  with occusync that's not really ever been a problem, i can always get the shot from any side..   same story with bridges, flying under bridges with mavic air is so much more riskier than mavic pro or mavic 2, wifi signal drops significantly, and may drop signal under the bridge it and it attempt to RTH and it crash into bridge and fall into water.

regarding the POI circle with Mavic Air - did it couple times (once there was church tower between drone and RC for solid 15 seconds) and video downlink never dropped or freezed. On the other hand - with Spark this happened almost every single time I did it.
2019-5-13
Use props
TBoyAZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31345 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the mavic air and the phantom 4 pro, but i tend to find myself reaching more for the Mavic Air. HOWEVER, if range is what you are wanting to use it for i would recommend staying with the phantom or going Mavic Pro or 2.. For flights within 2 miles it is a great little drone. But what's best of all is that you have gesture control with it. Its really hard to say take this over the Phantom 4, but i would say it makes a great addition to the drone collection, primarily due to portability and just overall fun to fly. In sport mode it gets up and moves pretty good.
2019-5-13
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

cjr888 Posted at 5-13 00:12
regarding the POI circle with Mavic Air - did it couple times (once there was church tower between drone and RC for solid 15 seconds) and video downlink never dropped or freezed. On the other hand - with Spark this happened almost every single time I did it.

depends on on many factors, like angle, distance and materials...    but its an ongoing issue with me on 5.8 or 2.4 Ghz i get alot of chop trying to do POI around solid structures, and if its less RF transparent like indtsureral building or metallic, RIP wifi signal..     
2019-5-13
Use props
cjr888
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3686988 ft
  • >>>
Czechia

HereForTheBeer Posted at 5-13 19:41
depends on on many factors, like angle, distance and materials...    but its an ongoing issue with me on 5.8 or 2.4 Ghz i get alot of chop trying to do POI around solid structures, and if its less RF transparent like indtsureral building or metallic, RIP wifi signal..

I agree that it's strongly individual. All I can say for sure is that MA perform much better than Spark in same situation whether it's thanks to more convenient antennas location or thanks to slightly stronger RC transmission power.
2019-5-13
Use props
NitemareTrainer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11844 ft
United States

I have had my Mavic Air since July 2018 and I love it.  The reason I bought the MA was I had never owned or flown a drone before and I wanted one that was user friendly.  It was very easy to learn to fly and I have flown it a lot since I have had it.  As you can see  it takes great pictures.  However, now that I have some experience under my belt, I am thinking of upgrading to the Mavic Pro 2 Zoom.

2019-5-14
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I still have mine.  When I got the Mavic 2 Pro, I considered selling it.  I've decided to keep it, as it is a very capable drone that can even be used for production level media, given that it has a 3 axis gimbal, with 4K and 1080p resolutions.  That fact that you can literally chuck it in your pocket (which I have done before) is a very valuable feature.
2019-5-14
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Canada

I did get the Mavic Air and I am pleased with the small form factor. I only had 20 min of flying, no complains with the range but I was a bit disappointed by the video lag. I was gently yawing the drone and the video on my Samsung S9 was frozen. I had no idea if the drone is moving or not. Flying on Auto WiFi. Next time I will test the Custom channel.
2019-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules