Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro Compass, speed and yaw errors - no warranty
1171 8 2019-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
haydenph
lvl.1
Flight distance : 49925 ft
Australia

Hi all,
I changed some settings on my camera today on my Mavic Pro. I also did an update on firmware. I decided to take it outside in my backyard to try them out. Flown around my backyard many times with no issues.
I did a compass calibration like normal (good practice). GPS was all good and away it went. I noticed within 20 or so seconds that the drone was not as responsive as normal... I was busy looking at the picture quality on the app when the drone started to drift... I corrected it first time, and it started drifting again.

I then thought it was really strange so I decided to land it. As I was about to desend (only a few metres off the ground), I got a compass error flash on the screen. The drone then took off in a horizontal direction at high speed and crashed into a neighbours house (wall). Luckily it didn't damage anything or anyone but the drone is a right off.

I contacted DJI support who said their fly away policy is not relevant in this case as it's past the 12 month warranty for fly aways.
This all seems crazy, either the firmware caused the issue, or the hardware and DJI don't want to look into it.

Posting my flight record here for anyone who can make any more sense of what might have gone wrong..
I'm a bit devastated as I'm always super careful about flying and take great care of my drone, so it's sad to see it come to it's end like this, and completely not my fault.

DJIFlightRecord_2019-05-08_[16-35-08].zip

134.41 KB, Down times: 12

2019-5-8
Use props
haydenph
lvl.1
Australia

Of note too, the drone in the flight record says it was not facing my house just before it crashed over the fence... When in fact, and the footage backs me up, the drone was facing my house, so it was 180 degrees out
2019-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It sounds like you picked up interference from somewhere it could be when simply putting drone on the ground, was it-placed on concrete could there have been anything metal in the vicinity or buried under the ground, could you have calibrated wrong highly unlikely but can happen, while you may have taken off many times from the same area it doesn’t necessarily mean there is nothing in your area that will cause magnetic interference, did you get compass error, IMU heading problems etc before crash, if you did I will try to explain below what can happen and how and why it can effect drone later In the flight.

You should also check the values of your compass in a safe place for the craf away from any possible interference, if it shows good values ie small green, it’s most likely what happened is explained below. If it has bad values then compass will need recalibration.

The best way I can explain this is. If you put your Aircraft on the ground in normal circumstances, start it up, then lift it up and turn it 90 degrees to the right both your compass heading and IMU will both move together 90 degrees and no problems.
If you put your Aircraft on the ground and there is magnetic interference only the heading of your compass will change, your aircraft will still take off. But when it clears magnetic interference compass will then move to correct heading which you would think was great. But No, what happens is IMU is then conflicted and confused because of this sudden movement by compass, so you receive IMU exceptional heading warning, your aircraft cannot deal with data conflict so decides to switch to Atti mode dropping gps in favour of compass simply because aircraft can fly without gps but not compass.

While I can’t be certain OP picked up interference from the ground or surrounding area it is the most common cause.
I have seen many cases where people start their aircraft in or on their car in their house and then bring it outside so damage is already done and we will see exact same warnings and and reaction from aircraft.

We all should check our compass when we start our aircraft and maybe more of this could be avoided, you can do this by checking the compass values in your app also check small red triangle in the lower left corner of your telemetry, it should be on the same heading as your aircraft.
2019-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Just to let you know, I couldn’t open your log, but maybe because I’m on an iPad .
2019-5-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you upload the flight log held on your display device, and post the results page link to your post:-

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

There are instructions on the linked page as to find and upload your file on Android & iOS devices.
2019-5-8
Use props
haydenph
lvl.1
Australia

Hi thanks for the replies.

The compass was calibrated just before I took off. Obviously calibration is done while I'm holding it spinning around 360 degrees and this calibrated fine. The drone never switched to ATTI mode during the flight, it stuck on GPS.

Here is the log results -
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/LR99IKHVG22ZG91M2ZQD/

2019-5-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi haydenph, we're sorry to read the crash. Just to verify, the drone was retrieved and there is no obvious damage, right? If yes, you may contact with App and check if there is any error in the App.
Also, may I know how did you contact our support at that time? By phone, email, or online chat? Please kindly provide us with your phone number and email address, we'd like to investigate the exact status, thanks in advance!
2019-5-8
Use props
haydenph
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 5-8 19:04
Hi haydenph, we're sorry to read the crash. Just to verify, the drone was retrieved and there is no obvious damage, right? If yes, you may contact with App and check if there is any error in the App.
Also, may I know how did you contact our support at that time? By phone, email, or online chat? Please kindly provide us with your phone number and email address, we'd like to investigate the exact status, thanks in advance!

Hi DJI Susan,
I'll send you a PM now.

Regards
Hayden
2019-5-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

haydenph Posted at 5-8 20:05
Hi DJI Susan,
I'll send you a PM now.

Well received, your case has been escalated to the management for better assistance, they will review and contact you during the working time soon. Appreciate your support and patience.
2019-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules