Watch this before buying a Rode Wireless Go for your Pocket....
18757 17 2019-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.

Here's a serious issue with the Go that people may want to consider before buying one for their Pocket. Rather than rewrite, here's the video's YouTube description.

BTW. This is a real shame as I've just done some really good stuff with the Go and Pocket before my Go died, I'll upload a couple of the videos anyway soon....

Rode Wireless Go Serious Problem The Internal Microphone Has Stopped Working & is Dead  So a real showstopper with this one. At first the Rode Wireless Go wouldn't switch back to its internal microphone after I'd unplugged any external microphone such as a lavalier or my own self built Nano microphones. Then later on during an afternoon of recording with the Rode Wireless Go and testing it with its own internal mic, a number of lavaliers and using it as a wireless microphone connection for a bunch of my video mics, including the Rode VideoMicro.

The transmitter on the Rode Wireless Go has now stopped seeing its own internal built in microphone.  At this point I can't say for sure that its internal mic is broke or if the Wireless Go's transmitter simply has a fault whereby it won't re-engage, re-connect, switch on or see its own internal microphone. Regardless of whatever this issue is, my Rode Wireless Go will no longer work with its inbuilt mic on the transmitter.  With the first issue of the Go's transmitter not seeing its internal mic after disconnecting or unplugging any other external mic that it had been, such as a lavalier.

The solution was to power cycle, switch off and on, both the transmitter and the receiver. While this solution was obviously less than ideal and a would be quite unacceptable during a busy shooting session, it did however work and bring back the internal mic. I've now power cycled both the units more than 10 times and the internal mic remains dead, or is at least not being activated.

I really hope that these are just simply issues with my particular Rode Wireless Go and are fixable with a replacement and that the issues are not stock issues or manufacturing design problems. However and with that said, If anyone comes across this video and has noticed the same or similar issues, would you please leave a comment.  I've also noticed that the transmitter on the Rode Wireless Go also distorts with lavaliers and external microphones when using a mic that's sensitive or one that has a loud output or when subject to a person with a loud voice, such as myself. This suggests to me that Rode have set the gain on the mic input too high and clips or distorts sometimes. This could be got around if the Go's transmitter has an attenuator or a pad function to stop clipping or distortion at the input stage. As the Go has a fixed input gain, set too high in my opinion, this is also potentially a serious issue. I'll be doing a video soon showing this particular issue.  

There's also another serious problem with the Rode Wireless Go where its radio wireless signal cuts out far too easily. This can happen even at very short distances, such as around 6 feet or about 2 meters, if the person who is wearing the transmitter turns around and block line off site between the transmitter and receiver on the Rode wireless Go. Here is a video showing that exact problem.

2019-5-12
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Oh...... No .....

At youtube, I saw Rode responded to you, hope they will sort out the problem asap and you can get a new, rectified one.

Still nice to see your smile while the Rode GO not working correctly.
2019-5-12
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the info
2019-5-13
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-13 00:08
Thanks for the info

Hi AJ.

You are welcome.

There's also a few other issues with the Go system that would effect Pocket users, I'll post these videos to the forum once I've done them.

On a positive note. For a very limited usage scenario, vlogging, short direct line of sight recording with no obstructions or objects between the user/transmitter and the camera/receiver. It does work very well with the Pocket.

I've done a quick test with one of my Nano 172 mics with the Pocket, it does sound better than the internal on the Go. I'll try and post that video later.

Cheers,
dave.
2019-5-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for posting this informative test video you have created. Great work and thank you for your valued support.
2019-5-13
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 40866 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I don't see anywhere where RODE says anything but thanks for using our products.

Is their someplace they respond with an official something.I received mine on Friday, charged it up, but haven't used it yet. I bought it from the nice folks at BV&H, so I could return it, but I really don't want to. Is this repeatable(without me doing it?)
2019-5-13
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Hi David. I did a brief test. First, I recorded audio with the RODE Go plugged in as it's designed. The sound was fine, but my room acoustics suck. Then I plugged in an Audio Technica ATR 3350 cavalier and it worked just fine. Then I did my live unplug, and lost audio just as you had. I had to cycle the power on the TX. Once again, fine sound from the GO. Lastly, I plugged in the ATR3350 and it needed to be changed again. I didn't cycle, I simply pressed the power button on the TX for an instant and got my sound back.
2019-5-13
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I'm not sure it becomes an issue until you do it as many times as you did it. I'd suggest turning off everything, charging the GO and see what happens. I hope this helps
2019-5-13
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-13 10:58
Hi David. I did a brief test. First, I recorded audio with the RODE Go plugged in as it's designed. The sound was fine, but my room acoustics suck. Then I plugged in an Audio Technica ATR 3350 cavalier and it worked just fine. Then I did my live unplug, and lost audio just as you had. I had to cycle the power on the TX. Once again, fine sound from the GO. Lastly, I plugged in the ATR3350 and it needed to be changed again. I didn't cycle, I simply pressed the power button on the TX for an instant and got my sound back.

Hi.

Thanks for the input.

It seems that this issue does effect a fair amount of the GO's. I've had someone contact me saying that they don't have the problem. So, with some having the problem and others not, it does seem to suggest that there is an issue with certain GO's.

Rode contacted me via YouTube and have asked me to get in touch with their support directly. I'll let you know the results.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-13
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCameraGuy Posted at 5-13 10:59
I'm not sure it becomes an issue until you do it as many times as you did it. I'd suggest turning off everything, charging the GO and see what happens. I hope this helps

Hi.

For a system that's designed to accept external mics, the amount of times you do this should never be a problem. Iv'e had a Sony AX100 for over 5 years and inserted microphones many thousands of times into its 3.5mm mic jack and never had an issue.

Turning everything off etc. and charging doesn't make any difference for mine.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-13
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-13 09:21
Hello and good day Dave. Thank you for posting this informative test video you have created. Great work and thank you for your valued support.

Hi Steve.

You're very welcome buddy.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-13
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-12 22:55
Oh...... No .....

Hi.

I'll let you know how I get on with my contact with Rode.

If I hadn't have been smiling I'd have been crying

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-13
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Could it be you have blown a fuse by changing live inputs multiple times?
2019-5-14
Use props
djiuser_Vpt16VTKaNvY
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you for all your videos and testing Dave, much appreciated!
Just received my Go yesterday, did a quick test with the OP and... had an SD card error afterwards which promoted me to format the card. Everything lost. Didn't test again.

But what I experienced before: Unpacked both of the GO pieces, peeled the screen film off and had half of one of the GOs front "display" separated from the rest of the unit. So basically the "display" part is only stacked and can easily be lifted of the back. Seems like poor quality imho.
2019-5-14
Use props
TheCameraGuy
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_Vpt16VTKaNvY Posted at 5-14 05:15
Thank you for all your videos and testing Dave, much appreciated!
Just received my Go yesterday, did a quick test with the OP and... had an SD card error afterwards which promoted me to format the card. Everything lost. Didn't test again.

I’m a retired Pro video and photographer. I’ve taught photography.

Lesson 1. A memory card is not a storage device. Anytime I shoot anything, testing, a quick shot, anything the first thing I do is remove what I shot, put it on 2 storage d{vices. Then I always FORMAT THE CARD IN CAMERA. You should do this every time you get a new card and after I shoot something.

You also buy the best card you can afford. They don’t sell them at corner stores (counterfeit), or hardware stores or Costco. Buy them from a reputable camera store. Way less chance of a bad card.
2019-5-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

David_Harry Posted at 5-13 13:42
Hi Steve.

You're very welcome buddy.

It is always my pleasure Dave. Have a safe and happy filming always.
2019-5-14
Use props
tomharv
New

United Kingdom

Hi David
I have two sets of the Rode Wireless Go's which I use on a daily basis for live streaming (Using an external Sennheiser headset mic plugged into the TX). The original pair I bought work fine without any problems. The second set has always been slightly dodgy. The power button wouldn't always work to turn off the unit (sometimes it took a few attempts to turn off). The RX when plugged in to charge sometimes would light up to say it is charging and then ten seconds later rather than going to the faded screen, it would turn off and not charge at all. (A couple of pull out and plug back ins solves this)

Finally this morning it has given up and exactly the same problem you have mentioned has occurred. The devices are on and linked but the internal mic is not being recognised. I tried powering off and on and also re-pairing but to no avail. I then plugged in the external headset and took it out again and bingo, it seemed to solve the problem.

What are your thoughts. Do you think it is worth contacting the supplier for a replacement? It bugs me I have two of the same product but both very different quality.

Tom
2020-11-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

tomharv Posted at 11-22 02:24
Hi David
I have two sets of the Rode Wireless Go's which I use on a daily basis for live streaming (Using an external Sennheiser headset mic plugged into the TX). The original pair I bought work fine without any problems. The second set has always been slightly dodgy. The power button wouldn't always work to turn off the unit (sometimes it took a few attempts to turn off). The RX when plugged in to charge sometimes would light up to say it is charging and then ten seconds later rather than going to the faded screen, it would turn off and not charge at all. (A couple of pull out and plug back ins solves this)

Hi.

Dave has not been on this forum for about a year.
I'm not sure if he even looks in any more. You may get a response on his YouTube channel on this subject though.

Ray.
2020-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules