Disabling the Geofence
11789 11 2019-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HRikson
lvl.1

United States

Hello DJI and Company,

I have run into my first situation where I need to disable the Geofence on my RTK Drone.  The area I want to fly in is locked out by the Geofence, however, I can legally fly there as the Class B airspace is from 300' to 7000' AGL, and I will maintain an altitude of 200'.  Now to my problem

It's my understanding that in order to bypass the Geofence you must provide DJI with a FAA Authorization and DJI will then provide you a pass key to be entered into DJI Pro that will temporaily disable the Geofence.  My problem is 2 fold.

First, I don't need an FAA Authorization to fly under 300' in this area.  I can still ask for authorization but the area in question is not in LAANC.  There for authorization my take up to 90 days and is unneccesary.  Second, the much larger problem is DJI Pro will not load or work on the Phantom 4 RTK controller.  There there for is no way possible to unlock the Geofence for the Phantom 4 RTK drone that I know of.

Is DJI working to fix this problem?  Have they already solved it and I am unaware?  Any help would be apreciated.  
2019-5-13
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1709583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the follow for unlocking a class B airspace adjacent to an airport in my area (I do this alongside LAANC but the two aren't related): https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock . Does it not work with RTK Phantoms?
2019-5-13
Use props
HRikson
lvl.1

United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 5-13 04:07
I use the follow for unlocking a class B airspace adjacent to an airport in my area (I do this alongside LAANC but the two aren't related): https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock . Does it not work with RTK Phantoms?

The Pin with the black dot is near where I want to fly.  It's not one of the DJI pinned areas
2019-5-13
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Aside from the geofence issue, it would seem that you do need FAA authorization to fly at that location, according to the FAA's facility maps*:

*Even though the airspace isn't LAANC active, it's showing a max allowable altitude of 0' AGL, which means you'd need to file an airspace waiver/authorization.

The TAC sectional chart. I believe your mission area is Class B at surface:

In this area it looks like there's two overlapping geofences, one for Philadelphia Intl and another for Citizens Bank Park:

You should be able to unlock both, but DJI's geofence map tool is kind of clumsy to click around in.

2019-5-13
Use props
HRikson
lvl.1

United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 5-13 13:16
Aside from the geofence issue, it would seem that you do need FAA authorization to fly at that location, according to the FAA's facility maps*:
[view_image]
*Even though the airspace isn't LAANC active, it's showing a max allowable altitude of 0' AGL, which means you'd need to file an airspace waiver/authorization.

Thanks Michael, I planned on getting FAA authorization either way to play it safe.  You're correct.  I was wrong.  The sectional chart I was looking at did not have that leader pointing to the airspace to the south of where I want to fly, showing  700/030.  So forgetting that, Do you have an RTK drone and have you disabled the Geofence?

This is the problem my coworker ran into

"I ran into two problems:
1.       They wanted my serial number for my controller – I did not have the options to view it in our GS RTK app
2.       They gave me an unlock certificate, but I had no way to retrieve it as the GS RTK app does not have the correct options to do so.

They kept giving me instructions for the DJI GS Pro app which has all the options to get your serial number and to retrieve the certificate."
2019-5-14
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do not have an RTK drone, but does the controller also have GS Pro installed? I wonder if the workflow might be similar to what I have to do with DroneDeploy in geofenced areas:

1. Ready to fly as normal.
2. Open DJI GO (GS Pro in your case).
3. Perform the unlocking steps in GS Pro.
4. Open DroneDeploy (GS RTK in your case) and fly.

When I Google "GS RTK" and "geofence" this thread is the only returned result, so let's keep this conversation going!
2019-5-15
Use props
HRikson
lvl.1

United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 5-15 05:22
I do not have an RTK drone, but does the controller also have GS Pro installed? I wonder if the workflow might be similar to what I have to do with DroneDeploy in geofenced areas:

1. Ready to fly as normal.

No sir, Pro will not load on the RTK controller
2019-5-15
Use props
Michael Kemper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HRikson Posted at 5-15 14:21
No sir, Pro will not load on the RTK controller

Are there any other apps on there like DJI GO 4? I assume the controller is similar to CrystalSky displays but not sure. I saw plenty of references to geofencing in the RTK manual but of course not much on the specifics of unlocking.
2019-5-15
Use props
HRikson
lvl.1

United States

The only other app on it is DJI MG.  Either way, all the instructions to unlock the Geofence tell you to use the pro app, that Ive see.
2019-5-21
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

HRikson Posted at 5-14 13:32
Thanks Michael, I planned on getting FAA authorization either way to play it safe.  You're correct.  I was wrong.  The sectional chart I was looking at did not have that leader pointing to the airspace to the south of where I want to fly, showing  700/030.  So forgetting that, Do you have an RTK drone and have you disabled the Geofence?

This is the problem my coworker ran into

Check page 59 of the DJI RTK Users manual.   I use the web based planned 3 day unlocking for DJI restricted areas and and then transfer the unlocking certificate to the controller. If you are in a "red zone" you will have to upload your "DroneZone Airspace Authorization approval and then DJI will allow unlock.And then you connect the controller to the acft and when they sync the unlocking certificate  becomes available to turn on or activate once you are in the restricted or controlled airspace you requested to fly in.  and you still have to accept complete responsibility a couple more times before it will fly. And yes -if you have the acft connected to the controller you can find the controller serial number which you must have along with a DJI account to access the unlocking capabilities.   
2019-5-21
Use props
MTCWBY
lvl.3

United States

I have a Powerpoint on the unlocking process that we use. Send me a PM if you want to check it out.
2019-5-22
Use props
djiuser_ms1Q3f9asP8i
New

United States

Michael Kemper Posted at 2019-5-13 04:07
Hi, Michael. The best solution to your problem is to sell your DJI communist trash and get a good American made drone that DOES NOT HAVE GEOFENCING!
I am a professional with my Part 107, and several other certs, and do not need some communist company telling where i can and cannot fly, when the FAA says i can.
Their job is NOT to accept my thousands of dollars, then restrict me from legally flying without THEIR permission.
There are TONS of quality American drone companies that have REALLY upped their game.
I hope this helps.
P.S.
     I lost money due to this trash ONE time and it will not happen again.
4-14 18:47
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules