Charging Batteries Hot?
3869 23 2019-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amarand
lvl.3
Flight distance : 160531 ft
United States

I've made it one of my goals to fly my Mavic Air every day that I'm able. So far, I haven't missed a day this month.

As I'm flying around mostly in my back and front yard, I've been fiddling more with sport mode, playing with speed (stopping distances, ascent/descent) and also practicing fine control movements in sport.  I'm having fun, playing safe, but I'm also working the batteries maybe a little harder than average?

So my question is this:

Does it matter if I put the DJI battery on the DJI charging hub while it's still warm/hot from flying, or should I wait until it cools down?

I don't know much about Li-Po batteries - I've used every other battery technology for decades.

I know that other battery technologies have "rules" and best practices, and some of them are true, and some of them simply aren't.

These days, we have so much data on the batteries we use, I'm sure folks know a little more about the Li-Po system than we ever knew about previous technology.

Thoughts?

2019-5-13
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should not recharge the batteries until they have cooled down. They won't charge if you attempt to charge them when they are too hot.
2019-5-13
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
United Kingdom

Have a look at this https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=184083
2019-5-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Amarand. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. msinger is correct on post #2. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check how to properly take care of your DJI Drone and your DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=117863 ). I hope this can help you. Thank you.
2019-5-13
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

msinger Posted at 5-13 08:25
You should not recharge the batteries until they have cooled down. They won't charge if you attempt to charge them when they are too hot.

Thank you!
2019-5-13
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-13 08:46
Have a look at this https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=184083

Appreciate the link. Very helpful!
2019-5-13
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-13 09:58
Hello and good day Amarand. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. msinger is correct on post #2. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check how to properly take care of your DJI Drone and your DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=117863 ). I hope this can help you. Thank you.

Lots of good information, thanks!  I do everything on the lists, and my gut feeling told me not to charge when the battery was too warm. I have a non-contact thermometer that I can test the temp with, and only plug it in when it's room temperature. Looks like I can actually put them in even sooner - as long as they are within the specs. Again, thank you!
2019-5-13
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-13 09:58
Hello and good day Amarand. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have shared with us. msinger is correct on post #2. In addition I will be posting a link where in you can check how to properly take care of your DJI Drone and your DJI Intelligent Flight Batteries ( https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=117863 ). I hope this can help you. Thank you.

Lots of good information, thanks!  I do everything on the lists, and my gut feeling told me not to charge when the battery was too warm. I have a non-contact thermometer that I can test the temp with, and only plug it in when it's room temperature. Looks like I can actually put them in even sooner - as long as they are within the specs. Again, thank you!
2019-5-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Amarand Posted at 5-13 13:13
Lots of good information, thanks!  I do everything on the lists, and my gut feeling told me not to charge when the battery was too warm. I have a non-contact thermometer that I can test the temp with, and only plug it in when it's room temperature. Looks like I can actually put them in even sooner - as long as they are within the specs. Again, thank you!

You are very much welcome Amarand. If you have any other inquiries or concern with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-5-13
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

do cars batteries cooldown too from sport mode use? or they are temperature immune for charging?
poster reference frame is fly fly fly fly fly.

car sport mode drvr reference frame is race race race race

do you recommend chilling for such reference frames? the refrigerator is accessible for poster albeit condensation suspense.
2019-5-13
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
United Kingdom

cutis Posted at 5-13 17:50
do cars batteries cooldown too from sport mode use? or they are temperature immune for charging?

A car isn't going to fall out of the sky if the battery fails, is it?
That is why drone batteries need to be treated most carefully, not because they are made differently oo have special chemistry.
2019-5-13
Use props
Boffin
Second Officer
Australia

cutis Posted at 5-13 17:50

Car batteries are lead-acid. Old technology with low energy density but can stand much more abuse than a modern lithium polymer battery. If you fit your drone with lead-acid batteries it would struggle to lift off the ground and if it did, it would fly for maybe one minute - but then you could recharge immediately
2019-5-13
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I leave them to cool out of the bag as soon as I get home then recharge.
2019-5-13
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Boffin Posted at 5-13 23:26
Car batteries are lead-acid. Old technology with low energy density but can stand much more abuse than a modern lithium polymer battery. If you fit your drone with lead-acid batteries it would struggle to lift off the ground and if it did, it would fly for maybe one minute - but then you could recharge immediately
I expected the poster, #13, to be referring to model cars for racing (else why mention sports mode, thought that is odd in itself)  and not motor car lead acid batteries. My mistake perhaps, but the reality seems to be that the drone users who are facing battery troubles or falling drones seem to be unaware of the risks.
I did a detailed report (see above in an earlier post to this thread) about Li-Po battery tech based on manufacturers information, not normally viewed by the public. It shows clearly the limits users should be aware of with this technology and apply it thoughtfully to drone use, because of the critical nature of a flying device dependent on a battery. That is not to say that any other power source is immune from troubles, (added for hair splitters).
2019-5-14
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-14 10:02
I expected the poster to be referring to model cars for racing (else why mention sports mode, thought that is odd in itself)  and not motor car lead acid batteries. My mistake perhaps, but the reality seems to be that the drone users who are facing battery troubles or falling drones seem to be unaware of the risks.
I did a detailed report (see above in an earlier post to this thread) about Li-Po battery tech based on manufacturers information, not normally viewed by the public. It shows clearly the limits users should be aware of with this technology and apply it thoughtfully to drone use, because of the critical nature of a flying device dependent on a battery. That is not to say that any other power source is immune from troubles, (added for hair splitters).

"Sports Mode" is one of the Mavic Air's flight modes, along with P mode, Tripod mode, Cinematic mode. Each have their own different changes to the aircraft's and controller's limits.

Sports Mode disables a lot (all?) of the collision detection systems. It's designed to just fly, and fast if you want it to.

P-Mode enables all the gadgets and slows down the speed of the aircraft considerably. Much safer around sensitive situations like people, but it'll also many times not move in close quarters because of the sensors.

Tripod Mode slows the aircraft WAY down, to 1 or 2 MPH I believe. It doesn't impact the response time of the controls like....

Cinematic Mode, which causes the reaction to controls to be buffered. When you request acceleration in any direction other than ascending or descending, it mellows out the acceleration.

I say all of this because I would imagine the term "Sport Mode" would be fairly well-known in a DJI Mavic discussion group.

Or am I misreading your statement?

Why would I be talking about model cars for racing on a DJI forum? I would imagine that would be an off-topic discussion here.
2019-5-14
Use props
Amarand
lvl.3
United States

Amarand Posted at 5-14 17:19
"Sports Mode" is one of the Mavic Air's flight modes, along with P mode, Tripod mode, Cinematic mode. Each have their own different changes to the aircraft's and controller's limits.

Sports Mode disables a lot (all?) of the collision detection systems. It's designed to just fly, and fast if you want it to.

Also...I mention "Sports Mode" specifically because this mode can be the most taxing on the Mavic Air's batteries. Rapid acceleration is possible in all directions, and the batteries can get very hot, very quickly, and this is made worse by flying in ambient temperatures where air flowing over the craft can't slough away the heat fast enough.
2019-5-14
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Guernsey

Amarand Posted at 5-14 17:19
"Sports Mode" is one of the Mavic Air's flight modes, along with P mode, Tripod mode, Cinematic mode. Each have their own different changes to the aircraft's and controller's limits.

The 'car' reference came from post 13, made by Cutis.
I regret ever mentioning it. The point being that the battery in a drone is a critical component, more so than for non flying devices.
Let that be the end of it.
2019-5-14
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

I contrasted purposefully the human forbearance impracticality "fly fly fly race race race"

the intention is forbearance.

and followed input exclaims an even more critical understanding of consequence, gravity casualty.

i have a workable idea to speed forbearance. waterproof battery then immerse into icewater, wait, remove waterproof membrane, charge the colder battery. if you chill it below dewpoint temperature you invite atmospheric sourced condensation
2019-5-15
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

cutis Posted at 5-15 13:30
I contrasted purposefully the human forbearance impracticality "fly fly fly race race race"

Want to rapidly dissipate batteries heat?  Submerse it in 3M Fluorinert.  
Could even charge battery in 3M Fluorinert.
2019-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No unfortunately it won’t help, Mavic Air batteries are reasonable priced invest in extra batteries .
2019-5-15
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

hallmark, recall dji furnished eol (end of life) for intelligent flight batteries:   200 times charged hot and 300 times charged cold

in reality, nobody recharges while flying. so hedge is citing practicability, have enough readied up for the todays flying
2019-5-15
Use props
Tooter Turtle
Second Officer
United States

msinger Posted at 5-13 08:25

Agree I had this happen also I takes at least half hour to cool down enough to charge again.
2019-5-15
Use props
XplorerDinesh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 170030 ft
India

cutis Posted at 5-15 13:30

I surrender
2019-5-15
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
United States

XplorerDinesh Posted at 5-15 21:47
I surrender

It is true isnt it?
Each and every incident can be attributed to the urge to fly presiding over meticulous prepare and checks prior each flight.
this would also include alterations, mods, intentional tampering and or malpractice as it pertains for safe flights.
this software updating and hardware glitching is already nebulas as it is causing enough headache.
but fact remains other flyers experience none incidents. is it due to their lucky hardware and software? or is it owed to their prudence in flying?
2019-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules