Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Zoom H1N / H2 / other recorder with DJI audio adapter
3245 14 2019-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StardustGeass
Second Officer
Germany

Hello everyone,

Since the DJI OP audio is quite bad, is it possible to connect a sound recorder with DJI OP audio adapter?
I saw that some of audio recorder (Zoom H1N for example) have an "external audio out" that is used for monitoring audio. Is it possible to plug that external audio out with DJI audio adapter as its input?

It is just quite a hassle for me to synchronize the audio in post-production if it is possible to just synchronize both in the same time.
2019-5-13
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

It is possible.
2019-5-14
Use props
Udo13
First Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Have you already tried it?
2019-5-14
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Udo13 Posted at 5-14 00:50
Have you already tried it?

Yes and No....  I did tried many times with my Olympus digital recorder which has an earphone output. And tried/tested once at a retail shop the Zoom H1N, after that I did asked Dave about the difference between A-B, X-Y mic configurations.

At the Olympus, the output level of the earphone output can be adjust. The Zoom H1N can adjust the recording input level but I am not sure if it can adjust the earphone output or not due to a very short test at the retail shop.
2019-5-14
Use props
StardustGeass
Second Officer
Indonesia

Oh-no Posted at 5-14 00:59
Yes and No....  I did tried many times with my Olympus digital recorder which has an earphone output. And tried/tested once at a retail shop the Zoom H1N, after that I did asked Dave about the difference between A-B, X-Y mic configurations.

At the Olympus, the output level of the earphone output can be adjust. The Zoom H1N can adjust the recording input level but I am not sure if it can adjust the earphone output or not due to a very short test at the retail shop.

Okay, that's assuring enough

Do you need to do any kind of procedure before?
Or is it simply plug and play (with adjustments later on)?

Also, do you think it is possible to use any audio recorder with earphone output as OP audio input?
2019-5-14
Use props
fansfe82067d
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Any recorder that has a monitoring output for earphones will have a separate volume control that does not affect the mic input - eg the Zoom recorders.
2019-5-14
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

StardustGeass Posted at 5-14 01:48
Okay, that's assuring enough

Do you need to do any kind of procedure before?

Just simple plug and play, adjust the output level (if any) of the recorder to fit your requirement.
2019-5-14
Use props
lummox
Second Officer
United States

The H2N has an Input Monitoring setting that must be set to ‘HOME AND REC’ or ‘ALWAYS ON’ for this to work...
2019-5-14
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day StardustGeass. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for sharing this information. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Zoom H1N will be able to work with the DJI Osmo Pocket, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Osmo Pocket and with the DJI Mimo application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the Zoom H1N when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  In addition just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend using 3rd part devices or accessories when flying or operating your DJI Osmo Pocket for compatibility and reliability purposes. Using 3rd party devices and accessories might cause harm on the DJI Osmo Pocket that may cause damage to the said device and can void the warranty as well. Have a safe and happy filming always. Thank you.
2019-5-14
Use props
StardustGeass
Second Officer
Indonesia

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-14 08:24
Hello and good day StardustGeass. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for sharing this information. Actually, there is a  possibility that the Zoom H1N will be able to work with the DJI Osmo Pocket, however, since it's not yet optimized with the DJI Osmo Pocket and with the DJI Mimo application we cannot guaranteed the stability of the Zoom H1N when in use with the said device and with the said application and if this will work all the time while using the specific device.  In addition just a friendly reminder that we do not recommend using 3rd part devices or accessories when flying or operating your DJI Osmo Pocket for compatibility and reliability purposes. Using 3rd party devices and accessories might cause harm on the said drone that may cause damage to the drone and can void the warranty as well. Have a safe and happy filming always. Thank you.

"Flying" the Osmo Pocket? Are we even in the same thread?

Anyway, unless DJI somehow fixed the microphone input, I think I need 3rd party one since the OP audio is so bad. Also, don't DJI make audio adapter to make this kind of thing works? If it is not intended, why do you even bother making one?
2019-5-14
Use props
darrins
Second Officer
United States

I suggest just biting the bullet and purchasing PluralEyes. I use a Zoom H1N and the audio is great. With PluralEyes I can synchronize perfectly in a matter of seconds in either FCP or PP. Expensive but well worth it IMO.
2019-5-14
Use props
Chief Rodgers
lvl.1
United States

I just purchased a Zoom F1 recorder to enhance my audio capabilities with the OP.  I have the same question with the audio out from the F1.  I'm leary about connecting the audio out to the OP without first adjusting the volume up/down on the F1.   (I would probably forget in the future to perform the output level adjustment before hooking up the OP.  I'm not interested in recording the audio from the Zoom, only the audio marker or test tone from the Zoom (a feature of the Zoom F1, that would be recorded from the audio out jack of the F1 onto the OP, thru the audio adapter) so that I could synch the audio and video in post production.  Another question, is their a single inline mini adapter that would alleviate any potential problems for the approx. 2.62V sitting on the audio input of the OP and requisite safe mic levels?  (i.e. isolation transformer)  
2019-6-28
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Chief Rodgers Posted at 6-28 13:07
I just purchased a Zoom F1 recorder to enhance my audio capabilities with the OP.  I have the same question with the audio out from the F1.  I'm leary about connecting the audio out to the OP without first adjusting the volume up/down on the F1.   (I would probably forget in the future to perform the output level adjustment before hooking up the OP.  I'm not interested in recording the audio from the Zoom, only the audio marker or test tone from the Zoom (a feature of the Zoom F1, that would be recorded from the audio out jack of the F1 onto the OP, thru the audio adapter) so that I could synch the audio and video in post production.  Another question, is their a single inline mini adapter that would alleviate any potential problems for the approx. 2.62V sitting on the audio input of the OP and requisite safe mic levels?  (i.e. isolation transformer)

You could also use a clapper and sync from that. It's actually more accurate with many cameras as you'll find that most cameras have latency with their audio and syncing your external audio to a cue on the camera audio would also result in the external audio suffering the same effective latency if it exists within the camera..

If a clapper or visual/sound cue, clapped hands for instance, isn't possible. You could always just cue to the first peak in the waveforms between the external audio and camera audio. Again though, this could also suffer latency if it's inherent within the camera. Although this option would mean you could just use the internal mics of the camera to pick up the cue.

As for the voltage, don't worry about it. The current is extremely low and won't damage anything. If it were phantom, then that could issues but you'll be safe with what you've described
2019-6-28
Use props
Chief Rodgers
lvl.1
United States

David_Harry Posted at 6-28 18:34
You could also use a clapper and sync from that. It's actually more accurate with many cameras as you'll find that most cameras have latency with their audio and syncing your external audio to a cue on the camera audio would also result in the external audio suffering the same effective latency if it exists within the camera..

If a clapper or visual/sound cue, clapped hands for instance, isn't possible. You could always just cue to the first peak in the waveforms between the external audio and camera audio. Again though, this could also suffer latency if it's inherent within the camera. Although this option would mean you could just use the internal mics of the camera to pick up the cue.

Thanks for your excellent description of what I should be looking out for.  I had a lingering doubt on the delay issue you described.  And with the Zoom F1, it's primary benefit is that the device be placed on the subject being taped; thus having a long tether from the camera to the F1.   A visual/audio clue would be the best option.  Again, thanks for your response.
2019-6-29
Use props
ollebrandt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 137510 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi, I have tested with a couple of Roland CS-10EM Binaural microphones/earphones and added the sound track in post (Running FCP) I started with an H1N, but now I have changed to a Sony ICD-UX560 (basically because it is considerably smaller than the H1N) - one other possibility would to connect the microphones directly to the Osmo Pocket via the extra mic connector - I haven't tried that yet. The sound presence from those binaural mics are soo strong. This is an example: He is using an H1N for capturing and adding the soundtrack in post, it seems. My major concern is always wind and ambience sounds....  
2019-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules