FPS debate
635 7 2019-5-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

so.... in considering what fps rate to shoot at, i believe you must consider what your target project frame rate is and if you wish to slow down your footage too.

However i have a few things i'm not clear about, for example do led monitor / tv's actually have a refresh rate that you need to consider ?  Or is this simply not a factor anymore compared to CRT ?

Then also the actual frame rates, i think i mentioned in another post how my thoughts were to shoot everything in 60fps allowing me to slow down in post to say 30fps or 24 fps ( for that cinematic look ...... only JOKING !!!)

So 60 fps to 30 fps is an even division giving 1/2 speed with no dropped frames. But then 60 > 24 fps or even 50 > 24 fps is not an even number so surely this can only result in dropped frames ?

OR - does the human eye not notice single dropped frames so not an issue ?
2019-5-14
Use props
hedac
lvl.4
Spain

if you are going to do slow motion then you don't need to drop frames from 60 to 24, you just increase the slowness. It is just that is not half speed, but that is not an issue. If you film everything in 60fps, then you can only edit it to 60 or to 30 for best results in real time, or to any fps in slow motion but with different speeds.

2019-5-14
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft
Cambodia

I've decided to go ahead and shoot everything in 50 FPS. I am always on the move, and I like the look of the 50FPS compared to 30FPS, mainly because I'm shooting 'real life' and not any sort of Hollywood stuff, so that 'real' look makes it more immersive and doesn't break anything it would normally break with Hollywood style projects.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I swear I've spent freaking hours and hours trying to figure this out, but will always shooting and exporting in 50FPS just look like crap for my people back home in the US, or have computers and TVs been able to get over this issue?

I would probably prefer to shoot everything in 60FPS, but it seems 50FPS is the fastest shutter speed you can use and still have all the OP's features, like facetrack, activetrack, etc.

So, does it really not matter these days, or is the planet still stuck with having a 50Hz or 60Hz monitor and if the content doesn't match they will see jitters, etc. I was originally planning on just using the OP in 1080, but even on my full HD screen the 4K footage ALWAYS looks amazingly better, so it seems to only make sense to keep it all in 4K.
2019-5-14
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I often use 60 to 24 slowdown.
60 is 2.5 times of 24 and you can lay down frame by frame without worrying too much on frame drop. Also editing program handle the fine adjustment to match the frame. (If you put 50% speed program will adjust to 49.25% something) Cause 24 is already odd one as 23.976 to be exact and you need program's assist anyway.

It becomes problem when you try to convert 30 to 23.976 at same normal speed. Cause there has to be a frame drop. (60 to 30 no problem) Slowdown has no issue like this.

About LCD monitor, there are different panel type like ips, va and tn.
Some have slow pixel refresh rate and will ghosting at 60 fps.
However this days, unless it is really cheap monitor, it is not something to worry about.
2019-5-14
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The General Posted at 5-14 21:05
I've decided to go ahead and shoot everything in 50 FPS. I am always on the move, and I like the look of the 50FPS compared to 30FPS, mainly because I'm shooting 'real life' and not any sort of Hollywood stuff, so that 'real' look makes it more immersive and doesn't break anything it would normally break with Hollywood style projects.

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but I swear I've spent freaking hours and hours trying to figure this out, but will always shooting and exporting in 50FPS just look like crap for my people back home in the US, or have computers and TVs been able to get over this issue?

Glad its not just me then !

Yes I did also consider 50fps as the main frame rate due to the same reason you mentioned with having active track etc ....

I suppose I should stop being lazy and try various frame rates vs different project rates and see how they look on different monitors / tvs etc ....
2019-5-15
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 5-14 21:29
I often use 60 to 24 slowdown.
60 is 2.5 times of 24 and you can lay down frame by frame without worrying too much on frame drop. Also editing program handle the fine adjustment to match the frame. (If you put 50% speed program will adjust to 49.25% something) Cause 24 is already odd one as 23.976 to be exact and you need program's assist anyway.

Tide,  maybe I'm being daft - but why is 2.5 times not a problem, surely 1/2 a frame will be a dropped frame at some point and also regularly ?

I guess also a further question, is it the graphics card or the monitor itself that deals with the fps rate ?

I notice on gaming pc's sometimes they can display fps which seems to vary throughout the play.

In the end this all comes down to I don't want to shoot all my source footage in a format which isn't very transferrable down the line.  but as you say maybe with modern monitors its not an issue.
2019-5-15
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

MKosmo Posted at 5-15 06:59
Tide,  maybe I'm being daft - but why is 2.5 times not a problem, surely 1/2 a frame will be a dropped frame at some point and also regularly ?

I guess also a further question, is it the graphics card or the monitor itself that deals with the fps rate ?

No problem MKosmo,

Frame dropping is not a concern when you make slowmotion video.
Because if you set 60fps source for 50% slowdown to 30 fps  then this 30fps is perfect frame match at 2 times of video length.
It works the same way for slowdown 60fps source for 40% to 24fps then this 24fps is perfect frame match at 2.5 times of video length.
So for 60fps source you can slowdown any % between 0~40%. 24fps timeline will just cut needed frames from it.

The issue is when you want to keep the video length same (in other words same speed) and convert 60fps video to 24 fps. In this case, every 2.5 frame of 60fps becomes 1 frame of 24fps and it is not even out. In the end this cause jitter video footage.

For the PC, frame rate is rendered by graphic card and projected by monitor.
It is just one cycle of process that is not seperated.

Also game has a variable framerate so you need to care about g-sync or free sync support but video is fixed framerate and natively supported by every monitor. You don't need to worry much about monitor or graphic card for video.

In any case, if you shoot 60fps than 30fps timeline fits better for transfer and if your timeline is 24 fps than shooting 48fps is more fit for transfer.
2019-5-16
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 5-16 09:33
No problem MKosmo,

Frame dropping is not a concern when you make slowmotion video.

Tide, thanks very much for the explanation. I think I had gone down the wrong path of understanding with this one ! but don't worry - we are back on track. I think I get it now.

Hedac - thanks also for your explanation.
2019-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules