Charging Battery in Portugal
2215 15 2019-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 423497 ft
Portugal

I live in the United States and bought a Mavic 2 Pro in March.  It’s been performing great and I’ve had no issues. I am traveling in Portugal right now and brought my Mavic with me. The power here is 230V 50 Hz so the Mavic power supply should support that but I have not been able to charge the Mavic battery.  When I plug the battery in, the battery lights do not fire up and the battery does not charge. I’ve tried multiple outlets at 2 different hotels.  The battery operates and will power the drone fine. What’s interesting is that the controller will charge through the power supply. I only brought one battery to keep my travel weight down.   Any thoughts or recommendations???? I am thinking there is not much I can do.  It is massively disappointing to bring the Mavic all the way here and not being able to fly.

Thank you.
Randy
2019-5-15
Use props
USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702)
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

You must have a problem with a) the DJI Charger or b). your European plug adapter.  There is no issue likely with the power supply as nearly all chargers step voltage down to 110V.  Having traveled numerous time to europe, I'm confident you have a problem with your eu plug adapters; cheap ones will not fit the double prongs well and you will get no power (also if the spacing on the outlet plugs are too narrow they won't connect to the wall socket well (no power).  Interesting that your controller charges fine.  You might have a problem with your battery contacts OR the contacts on the DJI charger (where the battery connects); verify that no fluff or anything got stuck in their during your travels.  Enjoy Portugal, using your Mavic in the Algarve is great (was JUST there in April ).
2019-5-15
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 5-15 09:22
You must have a problem with a) the DJI Charger or b). your European plug adapter.  There is no issue likely with the power supply as nearly all chargers step voltage down to 110V.  Having traveled numerous time to europe, I'm confident you have a problem with your eu plug adapters; cheap ones will not fit the double prongs well and you will get no power (also if the spacing on the outlet plugs are too narrow they won't connect to the wall socket well (no power).  Interesting that your controller charges fine.  You might have a problem with your battery contacts OR the contacts on the DJI charger (where the battery connects); verify that no fluff or anything got stuck in their during your travels.  Enjoy Portugal, using your Mavic in the Algarve is great (was JUST there in April  ).

I don’t think it’s the adapter in that I am able to charges multiple devices, camera batteries, razor, etc. with no issues.   I’ve also tried a couple of different adapters with both a ground connector and without.  The contacts between the battery and charger are clean.  Wish I could fly in Algarve like you but I’m limited to a battery with 95% charge so I’ve got choose wisely.  

Thank you for your comments.
2019-5-15
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 5-15 09:22
You must have a problem with a) the DJI Charger or b). your European plug adapter.  There is no issue likely with the power supply as nearly all chargers step voltage down to 110V.  Having traveled numerous time to europe, I'm confident you have a problem with your eu plug adapters; cheap ones will not fit the double prongs well and you will get no power (also if the spacing on the outlet plugs are too narrow they won't connect to the wall socket well (no power).  Interesting that your controller charges fine.  You might have a problem with your battery contacts OR the contacts on the DJI charger (where the battery connects); verify that no fluff or anything got stuck in their during your travels.  Enjoy Portugal, using your Mavic in the Algarve is great (was JUST there in April  ).

I don’t think it’s the adapter in that I am able to charges multiple devices, camera batteries, razor, etc. with no issues.   I’ve also tried a couple of different adapters with both a ground connector and without.  The contacts between the battery and charger are clean.  Wish I could fly in Algarve like you but I’m limited to a battery with 95% charge so I’ve got choose wisely.  

2019-5-15
Use props
Second Officer
Canada

Occams Razor Posted at 5-15 10:21

That sucks. It may be your battery but you won't know unless you can check with another battery charger.  I would suggest that you find an electronics store that were you can try their charger in store with your battery.  It's not easy finding such a store in Portugal depending on where you are.  Best chance is at a Lidel (or one of their other large food store chains).  The big ones have an electronics department and likely sell the Mavic; not sure about the Mavic Pro 2 - this may be found in a camera store.  If you can find a store nearby and can test do that. If so and it works then I'd personally BUY a new one there on the spot.  FYI, if you bought your Mavic Pro 2 within that last 90 days there is a 95% chance that your credit card will pay for this purchase under 'purchase protection/damage within 90 days' a very common free insurance coverage.  hope that helps you!
2019-5-15
Use props
Second Officer
Canada

Another thought...I am assuming that your MP2 charger only charges one battery at a time- e.g. not the 'hub charger'. If this is the case it sounds like the cord with the battery plug on the end has a short.  I suggest moving/twisting it in several places to see if you get the current to flow to the battery. if you can find the part of the cord that needs some bend in it for it to work, then you can tape it down in this position until your battery completes it's charge that way.  In the end- don't sweat it, Portugal is beautiful and don't let it bother you (fyi I was there for 2 weeks and could only fly for 2 days b/c of high winds ).  Just make sure next time you travel to bring several batteries!! I always travel with several bats plus even a backup cellphone (no fun wanting to fly when you've also crushed your phone on a trip ).  
2019-5-15
Use props
Second Officer
Canada

Here is the importer/distributor for DJI in Portugal.  Email or call them to find the closest store to where you are staying to get a replacement cord or charger...

www.comercialfoto.pt
2019-5-15
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 5-15 21:22
Here is the importer/distributor for DJI in Portugal.  Email or call them to find the closest store to where you are staying to get a replacement cord or charger...

www.comercialfoto.pt

Thanks for all of the great advice and information. We rented a car and drove down to Salema (near southern tip) and will be at small communities for the next several days. The next time we will be in a bigger city (Porto) will be a couple of days before our trip ends.  I have tried playing with both the big and small cords and nothing works.  I am thinking the transformer is defective but that is just bad luck as I had no way of checking.  I agree that I will have to enjoy the trip knowing that I won’t be able to fly. I do have an ILC and tripod so all is not lost.  I will try to contact that dealer in case I can work something out.

I really appreciate all of your comments.
2019-5-15
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 5-15 21:22

www.comercialfoto.pt

Thanks for all of the great advice and information. We rented a car and drove down to Salema (near southern tip) and will be at small communities for the next several days. The next time we will be in a bigger city (Porto) will be a couple of days before our trip ends.  I have tried playing with both the big and small cords and nothing works.  I am thinking the transformer is defective but that is just bad luck as I had no way of checking.  I agree that I will have to enjoy the trip knowing that I won’t be able to fly. I do have an ILC and tripod so all is not lost.  I will try to contact that dealer in case I can work something out.

2019-5-15
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

The battery has electronics inside that control the charge and also discharge. From what I understand from you post, the battery powered the drone once until it became discharged.
What you failed to mention was the final state of discharge. If the battery became over discharged, it will never recharge.
Have a look at this https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=184083
Also, it is quite possible that the battery electronics have decided to develop a fault. If something can go wrong, it will do it when you can least manage it. Sod's  Law.
2019-5-16
Use props
Second Officer
Canada

Occams Razor Posted at 5-15 23:44

Salema is a great little town, super restaurant on the beach too.  You will love Porto; walking on both sides of the bridge is nice and for sure on TOP of the bridge.  Best place to park is in a parade exactly at the end of the bridge (side where the port houses are).  Enjoy the rest of your trip!
2019-5-16
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-16 00:29
The battery has electronics inside that control the charge and also discharge. From what I understand from you post, the battery powered the drone once until it became discharged.
What you failed to mention was the final state of discharge. If the battery became over discharged, it will never recharge.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have used the battery yet.  It has a little over 90% charge and can still fir up the drone.  I will be flying the Mavic once or possibly twice before I leave Portugal.  
2019-5-19
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

AlansDronePics Posted at 5-16 00:29
The battery has electronics inside that control the charge and also discharge. From what I understand from you post, the battery powered the drone once until it became discharged.

Thanks for the suggestion but I haven’t used the battery yet.  It has a little over 90% charge and can still fir up the drone.  I will be flying the Mavic once or possibly twice before I leave Portugal.  
2019-5-19
Use props
Occams Razor
Second Officer
Portugal

USS Pretty-Bird (NCC-1702) Posted at 5-16 09:50
Salema is a great little town, super restaurant on the beach too.  You will love Porto; walking on both sides of the bridge is nice and for sure on TOP of the bridge.  Best place to park is in a parade exactly at the end of the bridge (side where the port houses are).  Enjoy the rest of your trip!

You are right - Salema was awesome but the wind was very gusty.  Have enjoyed all of the locations.  In Coimbatore now and making our way north.  Nice to hear from someone who has been here.
2019-5-19
Use props
Second Officer
Canada

Occams Razor Posted at 5-19 08:22
You are right - Salema was awesome but the wind was very gusty.  Have enjoyed all of the locations.  In Coimbatore now and making our way north.  Nice to hear from someone who has been here.

Glad to hear!  FYI, you can technically fly in Porto- even though it is within a heliport zone and you don't have to contact ATC if you fly within 75 m of your drone (and also don't exceed 120m).  Problem is there is often a tourist heli that flies down the river and over the main bridge----and this heli was ALWAYS well below 400' making it unsafe IMO to fly at the height I wished. Porto is one place where the view from above would be especially nice; I didn't fly here because of this heli, but also because of the massive bridge/metallic structure and I could not find an open area to calibrate my compass beforehand.  Views were spectacular from any angle nonetheless so no big deal to not fly there.  I trust you made it to Sintra...I had an epic flight around the castle Enjoy the rest of your trip!!
2019-5-23
Use props
cristiano1976pt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322156 ft
  • >>>
Germany

So i don't see such a big Problem. Nearly in every Big City there are WORTEN Stores or FNAC Stores. They all sell DJI Products as well as Accesories. Myself had to buy to years ago new Props for my Mavic Pro because i hit a tree. And last year when i was there you saw everywhere Mavic 2 Pro's in the Stores. So find one and buy a new Battery or try to test it there.
Bild.jpg
2019-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules