Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The truth about the CYNOVA adapter for the DJI Osmo Action
12345Next >
45387 179 2019-5-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Hi.

Here is a video that proves that the combination of the CYNOVA microphone audio USB adapter and the DJI Osmo Action does not record stereo. I've already made a video that clearly shows that the interface does not work correctly and you need to pull out and remove the mic cable or the adapter during a recording and then re-insert during the recording in order to get anything near a useable audio recorded, as per the findings of Matman.

I'd also not realised that this device isn't supported directly by DJI and having been in touch with Bella via the published email, I can say with certainty that the support staff CYNOVA do not know enough technically about the adapter to give proper technical support. Their response when asked if the adapter was stereo was “I think it is ok”. As unsure and as unclear as this response was, it would suggest that they were saying the adapter was stereo, when it clearly is not.

I will be contacting DJI for a refund as I have made a number of videos that clearly prove that the CYNOVA adapter is not fit for purpose.

I will document my communication with DJI with regard my request for a refund and will keep other DJI Osmo Action owners informed via videos.

If you have any interest in this adapter I would strongly suggest you watch this video in its entirety, especially my end summary. During my summary I raise some serious concerns about the company supposedly manufacturing this audio adapter and the fact that the URL used for the support email does not resolve to a website. I raise other serious concerns including the question of ownership and responsibility for this interface, seeing as DJI are clearly the only company selling it. I have seen others advertise the adapter but no one has it in stock and even if they did, who supplied them?

For all intents and purposes the CYNOVA audio adapter is a DJI product and DJI should be directly responsible to their users for technical support for and any refund requests.

Cheers,
Dave.

Hi.This video should give you all the info you need about why you should not buy this adapter.
Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-15
Use props
Ricardo C.
lvl.1

United States

But he wasn't using the official DJI adapter that's available for the Osmo Pocket... Does any USB C to 3.5mm audio adapter work?
2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Hahaha .. that small coffin.....
2019-5-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting video with us. As of the time being, the other accessories that could use in the DJI Osmo Action cam haven't been released in our store and our designated department hasn't cascaded to us if there will an accessory from the Osmo Pocket that can be used with our new product. We would recommend paying attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.
2019-5-15
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is a picture from the above video.

2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

BobWinNV Posted at 5-15 09:35
Here is a picture from the above video.

[view_image]

Yeah ... can get an Apple adapter ... HK$69 in Hongkong .....
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Ricardo C. Posted at 5-15 08:22
But he wasn't using the official DJI adapter that's available for the Osmo Pocket... Does any USB C to 3.5mm audio adapter work?

Hi.

Maybe not great news

Yes, Ricardo I think you are right. After looking at Bob's still, this probably isn't the Pocket adaptor. I thought is was and the cable just had a flush fitting 3.5mm jack.

If the Pocket's adaptor doesn't work with it and a typical phone one does, it would seem very strange and a bit unhelpful that DJI changed the specifications.

ORIGINAL POST

Great news. The Action looks like it's compatible with the Pocket's mic adaptor. In Kai's video you can see it on the end of the mic cable as he plugs it in.
Go to 9:31 in the video.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

May be not so trustworthy ........ at 6:10 to 6:37....

2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-15 11:21
May be not so trustworthy ........ at 6:10 to 6:37....

Hi.

Great spot. Yes, there's no compatible cable other than the DJI one for the Pocket and that one he used in the Pocket video looks like the same he's used in the Action video.

In his Pocket video the example actually sounded like the Pocket's internal mic but in the Action video it definitely changed sound.

So in the Pocket video maybe he does in deed have the only 3rd party cable that works and the external mic did work and just sounded like the internal. Or maybe it didn't work and he genuinely didn't hear that there was no difference and just assumed it work.

And on the Action video maybe it does work as the Pocket and Action are different and the audio interface is different and maybe the Action's interface is compatible with other adaptors. I really hope that is the case because if it isn't and because there definitely was a change in the audio, that would mean he cheated and is full of ....

I really hope he wasn't bull...ing as I do like Kai.

Again though, what a great spot, you must be a detective

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-15
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 5-15 12:24
Hi.

Great spot. Yes, there's no compatible cable other than the DJI one for the Pocket and that one he used in the Pocket video looks like the same he's used in the Action video.

DCRainmaker.com who was the first person that showed using the audio adapter for the OP did a very long review on the Osmo Action today.  Here is one quote from that review.

" USB-C microphone adapter coming soon (existing OSMO Pocket adapter is *not* compatible…I tried)"

Sorry Guys.

Bob
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 5-15 15:29
DCRainmaker.com who was the first person that showed using the audio adapter for the OP did a very long review on the Osmo Action today.  Here is one quote from that review.

" USB-C microphone adapter coming soon (existing OSMO Pocket adapter is *not* compatible…I tried)"

Hi Bob.

Yes, I seen that as well. Although I'm not into bikes and stuff I've got a lot of time for DCRainmaker, I watch his channel as he's great at what he does and doesn't BS.

I really hope Kai wasn't bull...ting in his review that Oh-no pointed out, especially as he must have been given his by DJI.

Or, maybe there is a phone adaptor that does work. Although and just like the Pocket, the external mic function was tied to a DJI adaptor and I have a feeling that the early firmwares didn't support it anyway at that point.

I wish someone from DJI would directly and simply say that it is not possible without a dedicated future  adaptor, or maybe not at all. And also confirm if it was even possible for Kai to have done this.

I hope DJI will be more transparent with the Action and be quick to help us people who actually pay for our DJI products to sort out fact from fiction.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

David_Harry Posted at 5-15 15:46
Hi Bob.

Yes, I seen that as well. Although I'm not into bikes and stuff I've got a lot of time for DCRainmaker, I watch his channel as he's great at what he does and doesn't BS.

Sometimes dji reminds me of the time I got engaged, my future brother in law decided to make a speech, looking directly through me, he proceeded to say , that getting engaged to his sister was like getting a bicycle at Christmas and not being able to ride it until Easter.

It just reminds me of all the waiting ;+).  
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 5-15 08:50
Hi, thanks for sharing this interesting video with us. As of the time being, the other accessories that could use in the DJI Osmo Action cam haven't been released in our store and our designated department hasn't cascaded to us if there will an accessory from the Osmo Pocket that can be used with our new product. We would recommend paying attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for understanding.

Hi Tony.

Thanks for the input.

Would you mind answering a few questions please.

1. Is it in anyway possible right now for anyone to record with an external microphone with the Action?
2. Is the function even active in the software/firmware, regardless of the lack of adaptor.
3. Is it possible to use a 3rd party adaptor/interface such as a phone one.
4. How was Kai able to record from an external mic? Was he given a pre-production official adaptor?

I'm positive that answering these questions will help many people and also stop a lot of conjecture.

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-15
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 5-15 15:55
Sometimes dji reminds me of the time I got engaged, my future brother in law decided to make a speech, looking directly through me, he proceeded to say , that getting engaged to his sister was like getting a bicycle at Christmas and not being able to ride it until Easter.

It just reminds me of all the waiting ;+).

The only thing I'd be prepared to wait for from Christmas to Easter, would be a chocolate egg

Let's hope we're not left waiting too long for info from DJI for the simplest of information requests.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-15
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

David_Harry Posted at 5-15 12:24
Hi.

Hi Dave, no offense to Kai from me, at the OP video (published one day earlier than the OA) he did mentioned that the audio cable is kind of a cheapy one and which look like the same at the OA video, though we heard the sound is difference from each another. Sure we all hope a normal USB-C to 3.5mm cable works for OA.

I am not a detective, but only observing.
2019-5-15
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

I drop by the local DJI store just now and store confirmed me that pocket’s mic adapter will not work with action.

They are not prepared with any accessaries ether. (Not even extra battery.) Following the pocket’s footstep, it might take months to get the mic adapter+shipping.
2019-5-16
Use props
Oh-no
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Tide Posted at 5-16 03:58
I drop by the local DJI store just now and store confirmed me that pocket’s mic adapter will not work with action.

They are not prepared with any accessaries ether. (Not even extra battery.) Following the pocket’s footstep, it might take months to get the mic adapter+shipping.

At Hongkong online store, they list battery at HK$149, Charging kit consist of a stand for 3 batteries charging at same time plus 2 extra batteries at HK$ 539, but NO STOCK ....
2019-5-16
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Tide Posted at 5-16 03:58

Hi.

This is all quite disappointing,

Cheers,
dave.
2019-5-16
Use props
lummox
Second Officer
United States

David_Harry Posted at 5-16 16:28
Hi.

This is all quite disappointing,

...But not surprising in the least...
2019-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm not sure if there is one indeed.
2019-5-17
Use props
Aerial-Pixel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2450935 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are a list of adapters I've tried, non of which work:
DJI Osmo Pocket 3.5mm Adapter
GoPro brand Mic Adapter for the Hero 7
Google Pixel 3 Mic Adapter
Generic unbranded USB-C to 3.5mm adapter with charging port.

I hope this changes soon, the way I use the Osmo Action I need the external Mic... Back to the Hero 7 Black for the meantime.
2019-5-20
Use props
fansd15e5bb3
United States

Aerial-Pixel Posted at 5-20 19:08
Here are a list of adapters I've tried, non of which work:
DJI Osmo Pocket 3.5mm Adapter
GoPro brand Mic Adapter for the Hero 7

keep us posted if you do find something that works
2019-5-21
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Hi.

Rather than the wild goose chase that went on with the Osmo Pocket, where everyone was trying to find an interface that worked. Why don't DJI simply chime in an let people know exactly what's what.

I'll ask the same questions again. If DJI answer these simple questions then it will help everyone on this thread and every Osmo Action owner.

I'd also say that it is very important for DJI to clear up the questions about how Kai was able to connect an external mic, seeing as this is supposedly not possible right now. Don't forget, you sent him the Osmo Action for review and he is showing it working with an external mic, which is something that people watching his video may buy it for and then be stuck as it doesn't work with a mic.

1. Is it in anyway possible right now for anyone to record with an external microphone with the Action?
2. Is the function even active in the software/firmware, regardless of the lack of adaptor.
3. Is it possible to use a 3rd party adaptor/interface such as a phone one.
4. How was Kai able to record from an external mic? Was he given a pre-production official adaptor?

For anyone interested. I've tried using about 6 passive and active USB to 3.5mm TRRS cables. I've also tried 4 USB audio interfaces, none of them have worked. Between everything that I've tried, the standard protocols have been covered.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-22 03:21
Hi.

Rather than the wild goose chase that went on with the Osmo Pocket, where everyone was trying to find an interface that worked. Why don't DJI simply chime in an let people know exactly what's what.

Hi Dave.

Really? Do we have to go through this all over again?
I can just about understand if DJI wants to use their own connector, a bit of a faff that it is, but needing different adaptors for the same manufacturers' products?
That's not protectionism, that's profiteering in a bad way.  Now, if it turns out you can use it underwater, that may be different
2019-5-22
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-22 03:47
Hi Dave.

Really? Do we have to go through this all over again?

Hi Ray.

Underwater with a wind filter

I totally agree with your point that this is way beyond protectionism and is outright profiteering. No one would begrudge DJI for wanting to make their own interface, as long as it's not too expensive. In fact, when a manufacturer makes its own peripherals it can also set and guarantee a standard of quality, which is always good for the customer.

But right off bat, and as you've said, why do the Pocket and Action have different adaptors?? They will both have been in development and pre-production at very similar times and even if they weren't, how hard would it be to make one adhere to the other.

My main concern right now is the fact that DJI aren't doing anything to answer these legitimate concerns and questions by their customers. As much as what I appreciate DJI Tony's input earlier in this thread, it made nothing clear.

In fact and I may have simply missed the point on this one. Within all the marketing and promo for the Action, do DJI actually say anywhere that the Action is external mic capable at all, be it now or in the future? Again I may have missed the point on this one and sorry if I have. But I don't recollect any mention of an audio/mic adaptor for the Action at all. Again, I apologise if this info is readily available and I've missed it.

So the big question from me is. How was Kai able to connect and record with an external mic attached to his Action?

Because product forums only ever attract a very small percentage of those who use any manufacturers product, I'll be extending this question to YouTube in a video later this week. Maybe the question may get answered by an Action user not on this forum, maybe by Kai or maybe by a DJI tec who may not be aware of the questions being asked on this forum.

BTW Ray. I've found more issues with the Action that I'll be making videos about and asking questions. But I've got to say right now that the Action is a keeper. This will be the only video hardware device by any manufacturer that I will have been prepared to wait for updates for. Honestly, the potential for the Action is amazing. For my particular use, it is hands down the best action camera that I've ever owned or used. I had and sent back the GoPro 5, 6 and 7 because of issues that I wasn't prepared to live with or wait to see if FW fixed.

The Action is awesome.

Cheers,
dave.  

2019-5-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-22 05:08
Hi Ray.

Hi Dave.
It's on the Osmo Action Facts page. where it says it can (not will) use an external microphone using a third party adapter.

See here

https://www.dji.com/uk/osmo-action/info#faq
2019-5-22
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-22 05:19
Hi Dave.
It's on the Osmo Action Facts page. where it says it can (not will) use an external microphone using a third party adapter.

Hi Ray.

Thanks for pointing that out.

What's odd though is that it says:

Yes. You can connect Osmo Action with a third-party microphone through the USB-C port by the 3.5mm adapter.

When it says the 3.5mm adaptor, I wonder which one they are talking about as there is no reference to it. While I appreciate that this may be a future one, the advice is write as if referring to a present one.

Is it just me that's confused with what DJI are saying?

Also Ray. As you've already eluded to elsewhere. The audio does indeed sound odd, a bit like aliasing with low bit rates. Strange thing about that is that the bit rate is 192Kb's for two channels. Even half of that for mono would easily be enough for simple mono dialogue.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-22
Use props
BobWinNV
Captain
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 5-22 05:08
Hi Ray.

Dave,
Did you mean to say underwater with a WAVE filter?
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Bob
2019-5-22
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

BobWinNV Posted at 5-22 08:59
Dave,
Did you mean to say underwater with a WAVE filter?
Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Hi Bob.

Now that you've said and it sound better than what I said. Yes, that's exactly what I meant

Cheers,
dave
2019-5-22
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-22 05:37
Hi Ray.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Hi Dave.

Yes, I seem to have misread what it said. So it could mean a new adapter but I agree with you that it sounds like you should be able to do it now.

As for the audio.
The different directions of the mics on both Action and Pocket do not account for the amount of perceived delay as I'm hearing it. I think.
I have a tool for gradually taking bit depth away from a recorded sound and it doesn't sound like that to me but I'm hearing your vids it via the web. How does something sharp like a handclap sound? I wonder if the downward facing mic is picking up reflected sound from the ground. You could try hard and soft floor coverings or long grass and tarmac.
Is the Action also giving an AAC audio track? If so, the bit rate should be more than adequate.
2019-5-22
Use props
justinhammondphoto
United States

I contacted DJI tech support about their FAQ page saying it works with an 3.5mm adapter, and this was the response:

Hello Justin,

Thank you for patiently waiting.

I've already received a response from our Engineers. As instructed:

Osmo Action supports an external microphone and can be connected to a third-party microphone via the 3.5 mm Adapter.

3.5 mm Adapter cannot be used for Osmo Pocket. Currently, this accessory has not been released yet. Please check for updates on our official website.

If you have any questions or other concerns that need to be addressed, please do not hesitate to let me know. I am just an email away to help.

Thank you for choosing DJI and have a wonderful day ahead!
Best Regards,

Alec
DJI Technical Support

2019-5-23
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

justinhammondphoto Posted at 5-23 18:36
I contacted DJI tech support about their FAQ page saying it works with an 3.5mm adapter, and this was the response:

Hello Justin,

Hi Justin.

Thank you very much for that, it's very useful and interesting.

Cheers,
Dave.

To DJI.

So how about that massive thing in the room with the big trunk. Just how did Kai record that Rode VideoMicro with that Osmo Action you gave him for advanced review, when there isn't an audio interface yet available?

Are there 3rd party compatible ones available?

Was this a prototype?

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-23
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-23 20:11
Hi Justin.

Thank you very much for that, it's very useful and interesting.

Hi Dave.
I think more to the point we have two handheld video cameras that need different audio adapters. That's bad enough. I hope in all that's holy they are not the same shape. It's bad enough to carry lots of miniature items around with you that can be easily lost or dropped but the thought of mixing them up will mean I would have to paint one for identification.  Also another product with an unnecessary stick out from body extra.
We will be using chopsticks rather than forks
2019-5-24
Use props
Indio
Captain
Flight distance : 303373 ft
  • >>>
Austria

what?
i have the very expensive DJI audioadapter for my pocket and can't use it on the action?

its time to leave DJI !!!
2019-5-24
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

Indio Posted at 5-24 03:38
what?
i have the very expensive DJI audioadapter for my pocket and can't use it on the action?

Hi Indio.

Yes, that's right, that adaptor, you know, the one you waited months for to be released and was way too expensive. It don't work with the Action.......

I personally don't know about leaving DJI myself just yet, I've only just f***ing joined But people really do need to make their voices count and remind DJI of just who it was who got them to where they are now. Their valuable and loyal customers.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-24
Use props
j_taylor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214354 ft
United Kingdom

To make myself (and any of you lot) feel better, i had a Gopro Hero 7 Black since launch and look at the brick you had to use for proper audio with that:

Cost 50 GBP and to make things worse, i never managed to get hold of one.  Out of stock everywhere.  

Switching over to the Action and still missing the ability to plug in a proper mic keeps me in the same boat.  I just know DJI will release theirs sooner than Gopro ever will, and it will cost less.  
2019-5-24
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

j_taylor Posted at 5-24 04:21
To make myself (and any of you lot) feel better, i had a Gopro Hero 7 Black since launch and look at the brick you had to use for proper audio with that:

[view_image]

Hi.

I have one of these that I bought about 3 months ago with a Ulanzi vlogging case and pistol grip and no GP7 as I sent my GP back because of software issues. I don't even know if I should keep the GP USB audio interface as it doesn't work with anything else and I hope GoPro revert back to an internal mic input when/if they make a GoPro 8.

In all fairness though, the GP audio adaptor is a completely different thing and a lot more professional and better for anyone serious about microphone and audio stuff. When compared to the Pocket's audio interface and its limited functionality the GoPro USB audio interface isn't expensive.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-24
Use props
j_taylor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 214354 ft
United Kingdom

Well I seriously recommend selling it if you dont have the gopro any more.  

Iv seen them go for 90 upwards on ebay as they are so rare.
2019-5-24
Use props
David_Harry
Captain
United Kingdom

j_taylor Posted at 5-24 05:06
Well I seriously recommend selling it if you dont have the gopro any more.  

Iv seen them go for 90 upwards on ebay as they are so rare.

Hi.

Chances are that I will sell it and the other few bits I have as I'm really into the Osmo Action now and don't see myself going back to GoPro any time soon.

There's £1 listing on ebay at the moment until the 27th but I can't stand some of the tools you get on eBay. eBay recently allowed a negative rating on my account from someone who didn't pay for a winning auction because I reported them to eBay for non payment. How does that work

Cheers,
dave.
2019-5-24
Use props
justinhammondphoto
United States

Here's a follow up response after asking what adapter out there actually works since a bunch of people had tested numerous cables with no luck:

Hello Justin,

Thank you for your speedy response and I am here to assist you further.

At this time, we do not released the 3.5 mm adapter that is compatible with DJI Osmo Action yet. This accessory will be released soon. You may try to use third party adapter, however, this is not recommended. We do not have listed external microphones compatible with the Osmo Action as of this moment.

Not to worry, the Osmo Action has two built-in microphones. One is at the top, and the other is on the left side of the camera.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to shoot us an email if there's anything else I can assist you with. We'll be more than happy to help.

Thank you for choosing DJI and have a great day!
Best Regards,

Alec
DJI Technical Support
2019-5-24
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules