Serious line of sight issues with Rode Wireless GO
4211 4 2019-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi.
I've posted this for Oh-no. Thanks for your kind comments on the wireless video mic GO video. You need to watch this one in order to get a full overview of the GO. It's great at certain things but absolutely useless and sh*t at others.

Again, recorded on my Sony but would be exactly the same results with the Pocket.

I'd have to say that I couldn't recommend the GO to Pocket users unless they use it in the very limited range that it does work in. For close selfie style vlogging it will work but you could argue that you could just as easily plug a Lavalier in instead, much cheaper and better sounding depending on the lav. Or if the person using the transmitter is in permanent direct line of sight of the receiver, within its range, doesn't have anything crossing the line of sight such as other people, does not turn away and block line of sight.

These issues are less indoors or when surrounded by buildings outside, as there's more chance of the wireless signal being helped by being reflected off walls and other structures in close proximity. But the GO simply can't be relied upon outside of the very conditions it does work in and is nowhere near as good as other larger units, such as the Rode RodeLink, which I use and can confirm is much better.

As far as I'm concerned, Rode have been very disingenuous about the GO as they don't mention in any of their marketing or promotion materials that it has very serious problems at very short distances when line of sight is blocked. You will find others on YouTube who've had this issue but the main people who were given their units for free, all seem to have avoided the bad news elements of the GO so they don't p*ss off Rode and jeopardise future free stuff.

Bottom line. Mine is now broke, something that's happened to others. I'll get it replaced and keep it anyway as I do have one or two shooting scenarios with it and the Pocket, maybe the Action, that fit in to the extremely few uses that the GO is capable of.

Be very careful if you are thinking about buying a Rode Wireless GO for your pocket setup.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-16
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thanks a lot Dave for making this video explaining the GO for me, the GO really sucks at open space.... I am not sure if it is the open space and grass plus trees absorbed some signals or not, could be as you said, inside a walled building will be a bit better .......  

The price tag is a bit too dear vs the performance.... the price is more than half of an OSMO Action ....
2019-5-16
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Rode really makes me excited when they released the WIreless GO, but now ..... its all cooled down .....   How can they built a product worse than a Walkie Talkie .....?
2019-5-16
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-16 01:18
Thanks a lot Dave for making this video explaining the GO for me, the GO really sucks at open space.... I am not sure if it is the open space and grass plus trees absorbed some signals or not, could be as you said, inside a walled building will be a bit better .......  

Hi.

You are very welcome.

Yes, being outside is a double edged sword depending where you are. Trees etc. can absorb, concrete walls can reflect. The worse condition would be a wide open space, but that would be best for line of sight distance.

Unless you make money or work professionally in video/audio, where you could maybe afford the GO for the very few specific things it can do. It is a bad spend and very expensive for what it is.

I couldn't honestly recommend it for those who are in need of a multipurpose wireless set up.

I'll post some videos of the RodeLink, it's better than a Walkie Talkie

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-16
Use props
djiuser_Vpt16VTKaNvY
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you Dave for testing this so thorough. I've been following all your videos in the last time.
Ordered the GO before you released your test videos because I hoped for the volume improvement mentioned in the forum while using it with a lavalier/shotgun and the bad audio adaptor.

You are absolutely right that this is very disappointing giving the high price point. But the Link system is a bit too big and clumsy if you want to use the OP for vlogging.
I'm going to give it a try outside with the new OP firmware update, hopefully the volume will be better...
2019-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules