Flyaway
923 13 2019-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183396 ft
Australia

Hi everyone, I would love your discerning eye on my Flyaway issue.  I lost my drone while it was in line of sight from me. It was 374 m away from me and 67m high. 88% battery remaining. RTH set and confirmed. GPS connection at all times.
Sudden loss of connectivity and then nothing.

I have been very blessed so far from the support of several people helping me out trying to solve this to have it replaced if possible.

DJI has been very polite and friendly. They have responded that they cannot see any significant issue with the .txt log. However, another individual said that the .DAT contains a number of items that may convince them otherwise. I do not understand the data at all and am reaching out for as much help as possible. Apparently, two other incidents with the same data logs resulted in at least one of them being replaced.

I have added all the files (possibly duplicated a couple) into a google drive and the link to the log viewer of the flight. The last link is the last bit of footage the drone had sent back to the controller.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qMKPWGlvex3sdYBS-UMHr35YyHuzD0L6?usp=sharing

https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/TDI1P7QNOPBROWAD9MZ5/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nin7RY4P6hc&frags=pl%2Cwn
2019-5-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

This seems to be an issue of recent with these Mavic 2 flyaways at close range, my zoom also disappeared last week.
2019-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your phantom help is the log I checked out, and this log shows no anomaly’s, except last line weak signal,

You say you had VLOS of your drone, not stating the obvious, but trying to get things clear, this means you could see your drone, so if this is the case can you say what happened.

On loss of signal drone will behave in 3 possible ways, 1/ RTH 2/ hover until signal is regained or land on low battery 3/ land, so can you give some indication of what occurred .
Also if downlink video feed was lost then craft will do nothing but await your instruction , if none comes it will wait until low battery and then RTH .

Maybe you can fill in the blanks .
2019-5-16
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

I am surprised that it is legal to fly so close from the airport, as you were about 1.7 mile away from the threshold of runway 30.

I still believe that there is something problematic with RTH and the geofencing when close ( or inside ) of a restricted area.
2019-5-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. We're sorry to know about the incident happen to your drone. Thank you for your kind and appreciation to our support team. Our data analysis team are the one who will decide based on their investigation whether it will cover under warranty or there will be some valid charges that may apply. Thank you for your understanding with this matter. Have a bless day!
2019-5-16
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

PS013 Posted at 5-16 07:38
I am surprised that it is legal to fly so close from the airport, as you were about 1.7 mile away from the threshold of runway 30.

I still believe that there is something problematic with RTH and the geofencing when close ( or inside ) of a restricted area.

Bingo!!! I was thinking the same....
2019-5-17
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

I know you can override restrictions by filling out the agreement in the DJI GO 4 app, stating that you assume full responsibility.  In an area near me, there is a recreational area, designated an authorized place to fly your drone by local regulations, though it is about 1.3 miles from an airport.  These are some of the things that point out the fact that local and federal regulations/authorities on drones are not in tandem with each other.
2019-5-17
Use props
djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN
lvl.1
Australia

I checked the warning / restriction layers here before. There two of these.

Warning - Restrictions layer allows flight but requires me to land if I become aware of a manned aircraft. There were no aircraft that I became aware of during this time.

The second warning layer was specific to the training area. This was labeled as a danger layer. Flight remained below 400 ft and in line of sight and there were no aircraft present either at the time of flight. So there was no risk again in the location of the flight.

I am also perplexed with the lack of RTH activation.
2019-5-18
Use props
djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN
lvl.1
Australia

I checked the warning / restriction layers here before. There two of these.

Warning - Restrictions layer allows flight but requires me to land if I become aware of a manned aircraft. There were no aircraft that I became aware of during this time.

The second warning layer was specific to the training area. This was labeled as a danger layer. Flight remained below 400 ft and in line of sight and there were no aircraft present either at the time of flight. So there was no risk again in the location of the flight.

I am also perplexed with the lack of RTH activation.
2019-5-18
Use props
djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN
lvl.1
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 5-16 07:04
Your phantom help is the log I checked out, and this log shows no anomaly’s, except last line weak signal,

You say you had VLOS of your drone, not stating the obvious, but trying to get things clear, this means you could see your drone, so if this is the case can you say what happened.

Yes the drone was in VLOS. When the disconnect occurred I became focussed on attempting to get it connected and to initiate a RTH. My spotter also looked over at the TX and in that short time 10-20 seconds we were not able to see it again visually.

I am troubled by the lack of what I expected of the RTH to do. I expected exactly the same as you have suggested. On loss of signal drone will behave in 3 possible ways, 1/ RTH 2/ hover until signal is regained or land on low battery. As non of these occurred and the message of the DJI controller was flashings CONNECTING... and beeping, I am lead to the assumption that the aircraft either had a flyaway incident or dropped out of the sky.  I am shocked that the log data stream does not contribute any information from the handset itself such as the disconnection of the aircraft but functionality of the controller and therefore, the actions input from the pilot. This could show that the pilot has tried everything possible to regain control and verify the actions between a disconnection regardless of any reconnection from the aircraft.
2019-5-18
Use props
kenk
lvl.3
Canada

djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN Posted at 5-18 13:22
Yes the drone was in VLOS. When the disconnect occurred I became focussed on attempting to get it connected and to initiate a RTH. My spotter also looked over at the TX and in that short time 10-20 seconds we were not able to see it again visually.

I am troubled by the lack of what I expected of the RTH to do. I expected exactly the same as you have suggested. On loss of signal drone will behave in 3 possible ways, 1/ RTH 2/ hover until signal is regained or land on low battery. As non of these occurred and the message of the DJI controller was flashings CONNECTING... and beeping, I am lead to the assumption that the aircraft either had a flyaway incident or dropped out of the sky.  I am shocked that the log data stream does not contribute any information from the handset itself such as the disconnection of the aircraft but functionality of the controller and therefore, the actions input from the pilot. This could show that the pilot has tried everything possible to regain control and verify the actions between a disconnection regardless of any reconnection from the aircraft.

Have you tried posting on MavicPilots forum?
Here's a link to their "lost and found" threads.
https://mavicpilots.com/forums/lost-found-suas.27/
They have a couple of experts that can quite accurately extrapolate a location when connection has been lost.
2019-5-19
Use props
djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN
lvl.1
Australia

kenk Posted at 5-19 07:54
Have you tried posting on MavicPilots forum?
Here's a link to their "lost and found" threads.
https://mavicpilots.com/forums/lost-found-suas.27/

Thank you. I am finding multiple near-identical losses currently.
2019-5-19
Use props
djiuser_FDWoYI7hAhlN
lvl.1
Australia

I just recieved a terrific reply from DIJ.

Dear Luke,

Thanks for your patience.

The unfortunate incident that occurred to your aircraft has been confirmed as a warranty case according to our second data analysis of the .DAT file. If the aircraft couldn't be retrieved, we would like to offer you a 100% off coupon code for Mavic 2 Pro (without the remote controller and battery charger), which can be used on DJI’s online store:

I would like to thank DJI for the willingness to look deeper into the issue that I have expereinced.
2019-5-19
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Fantastic result and good DJI customer service.
2019-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules