Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hyperlapse Vs Timelapse - The Difference?
25693 26 2019-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
John Walker
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I can't quite get my head around this one.  Genuine question...

How is Hyperlapse any different to using Timelapse when on the move? (Apart from the Object Tracking)
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Kai has a video describing this, hope that helps.

2019-5-17
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft
Cambodia

I would assume that they could technically mean the difference of the camera moving around (hyperlapse) vs the camera staying still (timelapse), but as far as the Osmo Pocket goes, I tried to do a 'hyperlapse' (meaning I was moving around while doing a timelapse) and it just wouldn't work. The gimbal kept moving all over the place and I just couldn't manage to get it to act right. But tried the new 'hyperlapse' mode that the new firmware gave us, and it works like a charm, so I'm guessing the gimbal acts very differently when it knows it will be moving around vs staying still.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

The General Posted at 5-17 00:34
I would assume that they could technically mean the difference of the camera moving around (hyperlapse) vs the camera staying still (timelapse), but as far as the Osmo Pocket goes, I tried to do a 'hyperlapse' (meaning I was moving around while doing a timelapse) and it just wouldn't work. The gimbal kept moving all over the place and I just couldn't manage to get it to act right. But tried the new 'hyperlapse' mode that the new firmware gave us, and it works like a charm, so I'm guessing the gimbal acts very differently when it knows it will be moving around vs staying still.

Yes, thats why some owners of the OP ask for a locked gimbal.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Or, a simply description, timelapse is taking photos in intervals with OP standstill, motionlapse is taking photos in intervals with OP standstill but gimbal pans, hyperlapse is taking photos in intervals with OP walking or moving with you or clamp to something which is moving and target/direction more or less remain unchange.  And those "photos' will linked up to form a video.
2019-5-17
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Oh-no Posted at 5-17 00:46
Or, a simply description, timelapse is taking photos in intervals with OP standstill, motionlapse is taking photos in intervals with OP standstill but gimbal pans, hyperlapse is taking photos in intervals with OP walking or moving with you or clamp to something which is moving and target/direction more or less remain unchange.  And those "photos' will linked up to form a video.

Very well explained
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Udo13 Posted at 5-17 01:00
Very well explained

Thank you, I just tried my best.
2019-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hyperlapse seems to simply set a low frame rate - eg 6fps - and then it writes a different frame rate to the file header, eg 30fps, so that's what it gets played back at, therefore x5 faster.  I get the impression that the gimbal motion may be slower than normal to kind of help smooth things out.

BUT - the value written to the file header seems fixed at 30fps even if your video frame rate is, say, 50fps.  So when editing you may end up with an awkward frame rate conversion.  I would have thought that the frame rate for playback of hyperlapses should be whatever is currently set for normal video - or, that there should be a playback frame rate settable in the hyperlapse settings.  I admit to being a total novice in this area, but IMHO DJI haven't quite got this right, in that respect.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-17 01:20
Hyperlapse seems to simply set a low frame rate - eg 6fps - and then it writes a different frame rate to the file header, eg 30fps, so that's what it gets played back at, therefore x5 faster.  I get the impression that the gimbal motion may be slower than normal to kind of help smooth things out.

BUT - the value written to the file header seems fixed at 30fps even if your video frame rate is, say, 50fps.  So when editing you may end up with an awkward frame rate conversion.  I would have thought that the frame rate for playback of hyperlapses should be whatever is currently set for normal video - or, that there should be a playback frame rate settable in the hyperlapse settings.  I admit to being a total novice in this area, but IMHO DJI haven't quite got this right, in that respect.

Agree, DJI did a good job for amateur, less hassle for them dig into the details. Have fun !
2019-5-17
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

So you guys recon in timelapse mode the gimbal tries to compensate for movement (ruining the shots) as it is meant to stay steady; whereas in "hyperlapse" mode it expects movement and just smooths the motion instead of fighting it...

Still it is strange that there is only 1080p mode...
2019-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

By the way, hyperlapse photography as described in the video above - as compared with hyperlapse video - seems to be another thing altogether.  More akin to stop motion, I'd say.   The hyperlapse in the Osmo is a total doddle.  The hyperlapse photography is painstaking and time consuming.  But with the video version, you can't readily do the stuff in the examples in that YouTube video above, because there's no way of telling when the next frame is going to be taken.
2019-5-17
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-17 01:35
By the way, hyperlapse photography as described in the video above - as compared with hyperlapse video - seems to be another thing altogether.  More akin to stop motion, I'd say.   The hyperlapse in the Osmo is a total doddle.  The hyperlapse photography is painstaking and time consuming.  But with the video version, you can't readily do the stuff in the examples in that YouTube video above, because there's no way of telling when the next frame is going to be taken.

What the Pocket seems to be generation is what I might refer to as a "pseudo" hyperlapse. As pointed out earlier, it simply seems to be taking the video at a slower frame rate, which speeds up when processed in camera.

This is an example of a true hyperlapse I shot using the Osmo Mobile. Not the "stutter" effect, not apparent with the Pocket.

2019-5-17
Use props
Udo13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

Hyperlapse is very good to use.
But I also wish 4k and not just 1080p.

2019-5-17
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

So everybody agrees it is just low frame rate video?
2019-5-17
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh-no Posted at 5-17 00:12
Kai has a video describing this, hope that helps.

https://youtu.be/DcylVx2ex78

Good video!
2019-5-17
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

I'm still a wee bit confused. Haven't we always been able to do a timelapse whilst moving with the Osmo Pocket? I know I've done a number of them.

So, what new features are we getting with the most recent firmware update?
2019-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, but as explained above (I think) the gimbal behaves differently and the  available original frame rates are different.  Much faster in hyperlapse if I'm not mistaken = slower playback.  Try shoooting exactly the same short walk in both modes and I think you'll see the difference.  

As for features, see the several discussions here about the firmware, there are lists there.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-17 01:35

Video is photography with many frames linked together, thats why we have frames per second ..... many frames chained together and our brain will be cheated by the images viewed by our eyes.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Udo13 Posted at 5-17 02:56
Hyperlapse is very good to use.
But I also wish 4k and not just 1080p.

Sooner or later it will come to the market, when sensor and processor getting better.
2019-5-17
Use props
CemAygun
lvl.4
Turkey

Personally, being locked to 1080p and not being able to do long exposures renders the "hyperlapse" feature useless for me... Of course, that is just me...
2019-5-17
Use props
Pics2Flicks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61427 ft
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-17 03:50
Yes, but as explained above (I think) the gimbal behaves differently and the  available original frame rates are different.  Much faster in hyperlapse if I'm not mistaken = slower playback.  Try shoooting exactly the same short walk in both modes and I think you'll see the difference.  

Ah, no, I meant new features as the relate to the Hyperlapse mode.

I'm gonna head out and do a walk and a drive with the Hyperlapse mode, and see if I can decipher the difference betwixt these and the "old" moving timelapse.
2019-5-17
Use props
fansfe82067d
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Oh-no Posted at 5-17 03:53
Video is photography with many frames linked together, thats why we have frames per second ..... many frames chained together and our brain will be cheated by the images viewed by our eyes.

In the video though,  a series of photos is being taken of people posing.  The photo is taken at an arbitrary frame rate - the guy presses the shutter release when the 'actors' are ready.  So that's hyperlapse photography.  What we now have with the Osmo is straightforward video hyperlapse, where the recording frame rate is preset and automatic and continuous.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-17 05:48
In the video though,  a series of photos is being taken of people posing.  The photo is taken at an arbitrary frame rate - the guy presses the shutter release when the 'actors' are ready.  So that's hyperlapse photography.  What we now have with the Osmo is straightforward video hyperlapse, where the recording frame rate is preset and automatic and continuous.

The youtube video is to show the basics of hyperlapse.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-17 05:48

And there is no difference between manual shutter or automatic.
2019-5-17
Use props
Stuge234
lvl.3
India

Hyperlapse is a type of timelapse where you move your camera after short space of time .In General timelapse you tend to put your camera on a tripod and it stays there .
2019-5-17
Use props
djiuser_mqBFp5TcA2Xg
New

Portugal

As I see it, time lapse makes the gimbal point to a fixed point (e g. facing North) while standing still, and even if you walk around, when you turn or change direction the gimbal will turn too in order to face the same position it was originally set to - you will have to turn the gimbal with the joystick in order to change the direction it is facing. In motion lapse the gimbal pans while standing still, as in time lapse. Hyper lapse is the same thing as time lapse but let's you walk around without pointing to a fixed point.
2021-6-13
Use props
Curt1591
Second Officer
Thailand

djiuser_mqBFp5TcA2Xg Posted at 6-13 13:37
As I see it, time lapse makes the gimbal point to a fixed point (e g. facing North) while standing still, and even if you walk around, when you turn or change direction the gimbal will turn too in order to face the same position it was originally set to - you will have to turn the gimbal with the joystick in order to change the direction it is facing. In motion lapse the gimbal pans while standing still, as in time lapse. Hyper lapse is the same thing as time lapse but let's you walk around without pointing to a fixed point.

Here's a video I made showing the different "lapses" using 3 different devices.

2021-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules