Who wants hyperlapse in 4k?
854 29 2019-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Udo13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 257188 ft
Germany

With the new function Hyperlapse DJI has created a very good extension for the Pocket.
However, I can not understand why the restriction was made to 1080p.

Or am I alone, who wishes 4k.

2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Udo, you are not alone, I think everyone wants it, but the limitation is on the OP hardware.
2019-5-17
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

I simply would like true hyperlapse, not speeded up video. I can do that in post!
2019-5-17
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

Oh-no Posted at 5-17 04:14
Udo, you are not alone, I think everyone wants it, but the limitation is on the OP hardware.

This is the bit I don't understand. What extra processing does this function involve that prohibits it from recording in 4K? I mean you can record 60fps in 4K but not 6fps?
2019-5-17
Use props
edeone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164685 ft
Germany

4k will be great
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

CemAygun Posted at 5-17 04:25
This is the bit I don't understand. What extra processing does this function involve that prohibits it from recording in 4K? I mean you can record 60fps in 4K but not 6fps?

CemAygun, if the OP only serve 4K 6fs, of course it can possibly work, but there are many settings at the OP, the firmware size is limited, processor power is limited, hardware also limited too.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

In theory, everything is possible.  Think if it is not an electronic device, and back to the old film days, you can use whatever size of the film and crank it at any frame rate. but that machine will be complicate and big, or has many parts with very high flexibility. Of course people will say, computer can do a lot faster and easier, yes, it it correct, then we need a faster and more powerful processor, a bigger battery, and a faster storage media, which hardly can be possible on an OP at this price tag and size.
2019-5-17
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Here comes my vote.
2019-5-17
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

And, if we compare the Osmo Pocket with Osmo Action, same sensor but OA can do more, because it consumes less processing power on the gimbal and tracking.
2019-5-17
Use props
Cool h
lvl.4

Hong Kong

I think the 1080p limitation has something to do with electric stablization, somehow like what OA uses, in this way you have to crop the images which means full 4k resolution is impossible.
2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Udo13. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given us today. Let me please forward this thread/information to the designated DJI department. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-5-17
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

With GoPro Hero 7 Black it is possible in 4K.
2019-5-17
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Record video in 4K, then speed it up in post.  

Voilà - Pocket style 4K hyperlapse
2019-5-17
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Well, osmo action also has a resolution limit for hyperlapse (higher than OP but understandable for the reasons stated above) so there must be something going on,  it cannot be just frame skipping. Frame skipping would not require any power at all. That is why older, under powered cameras could do 4k at lower frame rates (generally 15 fps) at first.
2019-5-17
Use props
The General
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13609 ft
United States

Oh-no Posted at 5-17 04:41
CemAygun, if the OP only serve 4K 6fs, of course it can possibly work, but there are many settings at the OP, the firmware size is limited, processor power is limited, hardware also limited too.

For me, the hard part is trying to understand what possible factors there could be that would make it more of a challenge for software/hardware to shoot 4K at maybe 10 FPS than doing it at 4K 60 FPS like it's already doing. I would have naturally thought that the 4K60 would obviously be harder on software/hardware.

What is so special about a hyperlapse that it would be a harder task to pull off? (P.S. Serious question, as I really find it hard to understand how any mode, especially one that's shooting at such few frames per second, could be more demanding that shooting in 4K60 with the gimbal doing its magic.)
2019-5-17
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

The General Posted at 5-17 20:12
For me, the hard part is trying to understand what possible factors there could be that would make it more of a challenge for software/hardware to shoot 4K at maybe 10 FPS than doing it at 4K 60 FPS like it's already doing. I would have naturally thought that the 4K60 would obviously be harder on software/hardware.

What is so special about a hyperlapse that it would be a harder task to pull off? (P.S. Serious question, as I really find it hard to understand how any mode, especially one that's shooting at such few frames per second, could be more demanding that shooting in 4K60 with the gimbal doing its magic.)

Well there are a number of advanced algorithms which can be utilized that would require serious power  (to get smoother, more fluid hyperlapse) but the problem is I personally cannot tell if there is anything other than frame skipping going on.

The only way to be sure is record 2 samples side by side, one as regular 1080p and one as hyperlapse, then speed up the regular video to match the other's speed and compare the results.

Unfortunately I own only one OP...
2019-5-17
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

From testing the Hyperlapse, what I miss the most is the high bitrate (100mbps).
Hyperlapse is fast moving image and compression with 30~35mbps is just not enough to maintain the crisp phicture.

If not 4K video, I would prefer to save original image to jpeg like timelapse does.
(Or 100mbps 1080p would do fine.)

2019-5-17
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Tide Posted at 5-17 21:15
From testing the Hyperlapse, what I miss the most is the high bitrate (100mbps).
Hyperlapse is fast moving image and compression with 30~35mbps is just not enough to maintain the crisp phicture.

There are no "originals".
2019-5-17
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Udo13 Posted at 5-17 09:37
With GoPro Hero 7 Black it is possible in 4K.

But the GoPro doesn't have a gimbal to process at the same time - surely this must make a difference?
2019-5-17
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Curt1591 Posted at 5-17 23:31
There are no "originals".

Yes I am saying to DJI to bring the option in next update.
2019-5-18
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

Tide Posted at 5-17 21:15

Yes, I agree
2019-5-18
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

CemAygun Posted at 5-17 20:54
Well there are a number of advanced algorithms which can be utilized that would require serious power  (to get smoother, more fluid hyperlapse) but the problem is I personally cannot tell if there is anything other than frame skipping going on.

The only way to be sure is record 2 samples side by side, one as regular 1080p and one as hyperlapse, then speed up the regular video to match the other's speed and compare the results.

CemAygun I have done it, but not in 1080p, in 4k 30fps

Which is better?

2019-5-18
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

Udo13 Posted at 5-18 01:17

Which is better?

Yes here you can see the difference. Booth in 4k Project.

Hyperlapse 400%

4k 200%.jpg
2019-5-18
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Udo13 Posted at 5-18 01:17

Which is better?

Wow such a nice comparison.
In image quality wise, no doubt 4K video is much better.
But Hyperlapse noticeably maintains the camera to the center and has much smoother rotation.
I guess Hyperlapse mode has some better gimbal algorithm.
2019-5-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'm interested that nobody seems concerned about  output frame rate - is 30fps going to give good results on, say, a 50fps timeline?
2019-5-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Udo13, first of all thanks a lot for the effort, very nice comparison... Apart from better centering (unless that is a coincidence of course) I also cannot see any other difference. Does not look like the hyperlapse mode involves some sort of different, CPU heavy processing.
2019-5-18
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

CemAygun Posted at 5-18 02:22
Udo13, first of all thanks a lot for the effort, very nice comparison... Apart from better centering (unless that is a coincidence of course) I also cannot see any other difference. Does not look like the hyperlapse mode involves some sort of different, CPU heavy processing.

I do not recognize the difference either. Normally, the picture would have to be smaller, cropped.Maybe we will get an answer from DJI.
2019-5-18
Use props
Udo13
Second Officer
Germany

fansfe82067d Posted at 5-18 02:15
I'm interested that nobody seems concerned about  output frame rate - is 30fps going to give good results on, say, a 50fps timeline?

In a 50fps Project the video is 20% faster. Is it a Problem for you?
2019-5-18
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Udo13 Posted at 5-18 02:47
In a 50fps Project the video is 20% faster. Is it a Problem for you?

Actually I hadn't thought of it like that.  Very good point.  I guess it's a matter of thinking through the speed settings for hyperlapse in relation to the timeline setting you are going to use.  Still, technically I would have thought it wouldn't be hard for them to provide settings for output fps, found  by swiping from the Hyperlapse option.
2019-5-18
Use props
Madebyvadim
First Officer
Flight distance : 2023002 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Me for sure
2019-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now