2997 29 2019-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

With all the safety concerns out there I would happily pay more to have strobes on my drones.  It would be better if DJI did it so that we can turn them on and off remotely.  If you have your own strobes facing forward they mess up your picture.  I usually Velcro to front and back arms.  You can  see your drone over a mile away in low light and 3000 ft in sunlight.  Planes can see you too.
2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day JJMik. Thank you for reaching out and for the information you have given us today. Let me please forward this thread/information to the designated DJI department. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-5-17
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill Kelso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great idea.
2019-5-17
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27438 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can. There are some aftermarket devices that you can use to add strobes to your drone, Mavic
2019-5-17
Use props
Amershaman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12822 ft
United Kingdom

Z-Zoom Posted at 5-17 15:59
You can. There are some aftermarket devices that you can use to add strobes to your drone, Mavic

True, but don't DJI say that if you fit anything 'non-DJI' to your drone, it invalidates the warrantee?
2019-5-17
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Amershaman Posted at 5-17 21:43
True, but don't DJI say that if you fit anything 'non-DJI' to your drone, it invalidates the warrantee?

Yes. The strobes I use, I can removed them if I flight during the day and secured them during the night or dawn flights.  They can be place on the arms with a elastic band that comes with it. these are no longer than 2.5 inches. I use them all the time and they look great.
2019-5-18
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I use Firehouse Strobes..  don’t waste your money on the ones with mounting clips... they scratch your arms and break..  

The firehouse strobes are amazing.  Great customer service too.  I had an issue with one not charging anymore and After i emailed they responded quick offered to send out  another.

I use Velcro tape rated for two pounds.  You can leave the Velcro on the drone when you fold it up..  I put it on the arms facing forward and the back arm facing backwards.  Usually I just use the back arms because strobes in the front of the drone mess up your pictures.  That’s why I thought it would be something DJI should know about.  Helps with safety but also longer VLOS.

Would be great to have strobes that can be turned off for a picture .
2019-5-19
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JJMik Posted at 5-19 05:12
I use Firehouse Strobes..  don’t waste your money on the ones with mounting clips... they scratch your arms and break..  

The firehouse strobes are amazing.  Great customer service too.  I had an issue with one not charging anymore and After i emailed they responded quick offered to send out  another.

the one I have don't damaged your drone arms. The firehouse you need to tape or add Vlecro and you leave glue if you remove them . I have try all types of strobes. The ones I use don't damage the Drone  you can take them off with out leaving glue or a chunk of Velcro.

But you can buy whatever you want. I like the ones I use
2019-5-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Yes, it would be great if DJI added factory built-in strobes to Drones.  

Along with a Chirper (think smoke detector chirp) that activates upon crash to aid in finding drones.
2019-5-19
Use props
NightThunder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106020 ft
United States

And strobes should be be green on the right, red on the left, and white aft. Standard maritime and aviation navigation lighting. This way you can visually determine the direction of the drone.
2019-5-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

NightThunder Posted at 5-19 11:39
And strobes should be be green on the right, red on the left, and white aft. Standard maritime and aviation navigation lighting. This way you can visually determine the direction of the drone.

Yes!
2019-5-19
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Z-Zoom Posted at 5-19 08:41
the one I have don't damaged your drone arms. The firehouse you need to tape or add Vlecro and you leave glue if you remove them . I have try all types of strobes. The ones I use don't damage the Drone  you can take them off with out leaving glue or a chunk of Velcro.

But you can buy whatever you want. I like the ones I use

cool you mind telling us which ones you use?  The glue from velcro tape come off with hot water. The double sided tape is harder to get off..
2019-5-23
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

JJMik Posted at 5-23 09:48
cool you mind telling us which ones you use?  The glue from velcro tape come off with hot water. The double sided tape is harder to get off..

2019-5-30
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

They comes in Blue, Red, White and if you are luck..I did. You may be able to find green too. On the bottom of the light I place a bit of soft tape. just because. i used these in my pro and   my zoom. Love them
2019-5-30
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

NightThunder Posted at 5-19 11:39
And strobes should be be green on the right, red on the left, and white aft. Standard maritime and aviation navigation lighting. This way you can visually determine the direction of the drone.

Yeah but they have it where green is rear and red is front.
2019-5-30
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Z-Zoom Posted at 5-30 18:24
[view_image][view_image]

[view_image]
Wow, they are big!

I use the tiny ones with Cree LED's. Velcro front and back.

Amazing things, even in day light.

2019-05-31_07-59-28.jpg
2019-5-30
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

*DM* Posted at 5-30 22:56
Wow, they are big!

I use the tiny ones with Cree LED's. Velcro front and back.

I have a bud that he also uses velcor.  But you leave all the nasty stuff on your legs. Glue and hair.  These you can see way up there. removed them during the day, without leaving any glue, and put them any time you want. And they are way cheaper, rechargeable and you have 4 different strobe modes.  they are solid. those that you have don't look finish. You can see the inside, they look home made!

I stay with mine, so far so good !
2019-5-31
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Z-Zoom Posted at 5-31 05:16
I have a bud that he also uses velcor.  But you leave all the nasty stuff on your legs. Glue and hair.  These you can see way up there. removed them during the day, without leaving any glue, and put them any time you want. And they are way cheaper, rechargeable and you have 4 different strobe modes.  they are solid. those that you have don't look finish. You can see the inside, they look home made!

I stay with mine, so far so good !

2019-5-31
Use props
Airheadbit
lvl.3
United States

Mavic 2 has Landing LED's, with software they can become strobes controlled by assinging them to RC buttons/controls. The front RED LED's and rear LED's could also be setup as strobes with software since the Mavic 2 computer controls them. A simple software update, DJI are you there? Currently I can assign the landing LED's to a RC control but it scrolls the ON/OFF/AUTO so you have to keep clicking to turn them off.
2019-5-31
Use props
Billboyheritagesurvey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 5-30 22:56
Wow, they are big!

I use the tiny ones with Cree LED's. Velcro front and back.

I use the Cree Strobons too. I find it all too easy to loose orientation  at around 50m down range so I use a red and green for port & starboard on the aft arms. Rather than get glue on the aircraft I got some custom clips 3d printed:

They are self powered, light and easily removable.
https://flytron.com/led-light-systems/322-strobon-cree-standalone.html

The clips were printed by 3DHubs:
https://www.3dhubs.com/3d-printing/
2019-5-31
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 5-31 07:45
I use the Cree Strobons too. I find it all too easy to loose orenatation at around 50m down range so I use a red and green for Port & starboard on the aft arms. Rather than get glue on the aircraft I got some custom clips 3d printed:
[view_image]
[view_image]
Yup.

Brilliant (literally). Charge fast and seem to last forever.

I have PGY techs foldable extending landing gear permanently attached to the legs so dont want to have any more there but I do like the clips.

As you say, a great navigational help

2019-5-31
Use props
Z-Zoom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Billboyheritagesurvey Posted at 5-31 07:45
I use the Cree Strobons too. I find it all too easy to loose orenatation at around 50m down range so I use a red and green for Port & starboard on the aft arms. Rather than get glue on the aircraft I got some custom clips 3d printed:
[view_image]
[view_image]

They just don't look finish. I don't like the fact that you can see all the inside. and they are to big for the small strobe . The once I have, they have different strobe modes. I guess that's what makes us all different.  
2019-5-31
Use props
jainanshul
New

India

Nice 3D printing
2019-7-29
Use props
aurorawoodco
New

United Kingdom

Wish I'd happened on this a while ago - we now have to take tests but I used to get a lot of my work done through a 3d printing service.  Used to kill me the amount of times I had crashes.
2020-3-2
Use props
James 0522
lvl.4
Flight distance : 191493 ft
United States

Z-Zoom Posted at 2019-5-30 18:30
They comes in Blue, Red, White and if you are luck..I did. You may be able to find green too. On the bottom of the light I place a bit of soft tape. just because. i used these in my pro and   my zoom. Love them [view_image]
[view_image]

I gave these a try. They might work good for bicycles but aren't really bright enough to use as drone strobes.
The Firehouse Arc two's are extremely bright and weigh next to nothing. You can mount them with a bit of Velcro tape, or order holders that slide on the arms of your drone and leave no marks.

Fly often, Fly safe
2020-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2019-5-19 08:45
Yes, it would be great if DJI added factory built-in strobes to Drones.  

Along with a Chirper (think smoke detector chirp) that activates upon crash to aid in finding drones.

Does the Mavic 2 Zoom not support the Find My Drone functionality in Go 4? Allows for enabling flashing lights and chirping, the latter of which helped me find my downed drone in rough ground and high foliage. It does require that you maintain a connection to the drone, or at least have a connection when activated.
2020-3-3
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

*DM* Posted at 2019-5-30 22:56
Wow, they are big!

I use the tiny ones with Cree LED's. Velcro front and back.

I use the same ones they are great apart from in really sunny conditions, an then I have a set of small mirrors velcro to the rear body so if i rotate i can catch a glimpse even into sun just helps if its really bright
2020-3-4
Use props
djiuser_9nw5nFPWeId2
lvl.1

United States

Due to the mini size I must have a lighted point of reference to keep it in my sight.  I have watched hundreds of videos in preparation for buying a drone and lean toward the mini as a beginner, but I am also looking at HS 700D .
2020-7-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think one day when battery life is no longer an issue with consumer drones, more options like strobe lights will be powered by the drone itself.
2020-7-21
Use props
djiuser_9YDUGHlRbIdD
lvl.3
United States

I don't fly at night but I have issues seeing the drone, I found a rechargeable strobe https://amzn.to/2WLdF2a
The Specs:
Visible at 3 miles away- tested for FAA 107.29, and got approved by our agent.
2.5 Watt Cree LEDs- 0.02lbs Super Lightweight, 5 ultra bright LEDs in daytime, night and Twilight flights.
3.6+ hours fly time, charge indicator : Runs for 6+ hours. Rechargeable Lipo battery with indicator and overcharge/discharge protection.
That is a 9 gram device that when mounted under a Mavic 2 Zoom does not block any sensor nor does it impact the video/pictures.

2020-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules