How do I alert the tower (recreational)?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Hi everyone,

I am part 107 certified, however I occasionally fly under recreational rules when it's just for fun.  It has been a while since I last flew recreationally, and today, when I called the local Class C tower to tell them, as I have done many times before, they informed me that they no longer accept this info via telephone.  I was told that there is a proceedure to do it on-line.  I am completely familiar with getting LAANC authorizations for Part 107 flights but how do I let the tower know when I want to fly for fun?  It was simple to just call them before.  How is it done now?  Any info is appreciated.

--Jim
(Burbank, CA)
2019-5-17
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Towers are no longer taking calls, recreational flyers will soon be able to use the LAANC systems, please look at the FAA web site for the new information and rules  that just came out this week
2019-5-17
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jim. I am sorry for the trouble and thank you for reaching out. I hope that you will get the best recommendation from our valued DJI Co pilot with regards to this matter and who did the said procedure on-line and who contacted the LAANC. Thank you.
2019-5-17
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can access LAANC through AirMap or the other services listed here:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/data_exchange
2019-5-17
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The old 5 mile rule no longer applies.  Depending on the airport and its distance, it's possible you won't have to do anything.  OTOH, the bigger class B airports have an even larger area outside of 5 miles which require authorization.  

This thread will help you catch up:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-189089-1-1.html

Good luck.  
2019-5-18
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

Thanks for the help guys!

--Jim
2019-5-18
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 5-18 02:47
The old 5 mile rule no longer applies.  Depending on the airport and its distance, it's possible you won't have to do anything.  OTOH, the bigger class B airports have an even larger area outside of 5 miles which require authorization.  

This thread will help you catch up:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-189089-1-1.html

I'm confused about this.  Does this apply only to people with a part 107, and recreational flyers are no longer able to fly within 5 miles of an airport at all?
2019-5-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 5-18 08:59
I'm confused about this.  Does this apply only to people with a part 107, and recreational flyers are no longer able to fly within 5 miles of an airport at all?

No.  IMO, it's even easier to fly than it was before.  But it kind of depends on where you are located.  This change does give the FAA more legal leverage in enforcing some of the rules.  

Just click on the link in post #5.

2019-5-18
Use props
fans37fc6a2e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1470968 ft
United States

Currently recreational flyers can not fly in controlled air space unless it is at a community based organization flying facility (AMA etc.)  that has an agreement with the FAA  and there is an attitude limit on each of them depending on where they are located. Latter on they recreational flyers will be able to use LAANCE to get permission to use controlled air space.
2019-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules