Causes of the accident of Enrique Iglesias
2566 21 2015-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4957293 ft
Colombia

Since April 14, 2015 with the upgrade 1.2.1.0, the landing gear automatically down when it detecting object 80 cm. Usually Enrique take the drone from forward, but this time, was placed just below the vision positioning device causing the detection of object,  the landing gear down and the propellers were placed below the level of the camera base, where Enrique has taken the drone. He put his right hand on this place and of course he was wounded with propellers. It is a mistake made because before this update the drone always remained with the landing gear up.
Desde el 14 de abril de 2015, con la actualización 1.2.1.0 del firmware de la nave, el tren de aterrizaje automáticamente baja cuando el sistema "vision positioning" detecta objeto a 80 cms. Normalmente en los conciertos como puede verse en los videos, Enrique se coloca delante del dron cuando lo toma de la cámara. Esta vez, se colocó detras, justo debajo del dispositivo de detección por ultrasonido. Cuando su cabeza estaba a menos de 80 cms, fue detectado por el sistema y automáticamente el tren de aterrizaje bajó, haciendo que el plano de giro de las hélices bajara al nivel de la base de la cámara de donde Enrique la tenía tomada con su mano izquierda. Al hacer lo mismo con la mano derecha, obviamente sus dedos fueron heridos por las hélices. Este error fue cometido porque antes de la actualización nombrada, el drone siempre permanecía con el tren de aterrizaje arriba (salvo una orden del piloto) lo cual permitía la manipulación segura de la cámara.

Jorge Hernán López Carvajal
Gerente Viewdrone Colombia
www.viewdrone.co

2015-6-7
Use props
thunderstruck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545043 ft
Switzerland

This feature can be turned off from the App however I agree with you that DJI should have left it off by default when performing the upgrade and left it to the user to switch it on if so desired.
I was also surprised by this change of behavior. As in, "oh it does that now"

Serge
2015-6-7
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, however it still seems like an ill advised stunt. I nearly always hand catch my Phantom, but never dare to try it with the Inspire. It's size and weight, lack of a good hand grip and those scary 12-inch props always deter me from trying.
2015-6-7
Use props
chris
lvl.3
Flight distance : 242247 ft
United States

I strongly believe the whole idea of flying the I1 in a concert setting is very bad judgement by the production company and very dangerous. In the video you see him throw the bird forward towards the audience, putting the crowd in danger as well. If the I1 ended up flying into the audience we would be talking about more sever injury's.
When are some of you out there going to smarten up and use your head. Its stunts like this that will make the FAA create stronger laws for us commercial pilots, while the general public can fly however and when ever they want.

Just plain stupidity!!
2015-6-7
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

The manual is in multiple languages for a reason.  It's called reading it and knowing about adaptive landing gear.
2015-6-7
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

It is very simple to explain the cause of the 'accident' - GROSS STUPIDITY.

Stupidity on the part of the production company to fly a quadcopter (with no redundancy) over crowds of people and total stupidity on the part of Iglesias to attempt a stunt with a 3kg aircraft that had four razor sharp blades spinning at 9,000rpm close to an audience  

There is no other reason.

Still - I guess both parties will be up for the Darwin awards this year!
2015-6-7
Use props
Shadrack
lvl.2

Canada

busclas Posted at 2015-6-8 02:39
The manual is in multiple languages for a reason.  It's called reading it and knowing about adaptive ...

Exactly.  When I bought my car, I read the manual till 3 in the morning.  Most of the people I know have never read the manual for the second most expensive thing they will buy.  
Why would they do it for a flying circular saw?
2015-6-7
Use props
Linolens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501250 ft
Macao

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-6-8 02:15
I strongly believe the whole idea of flying the I1 in a concert setting is very bad judgement by the ...

I echo your words
2015-6-7
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

Who on earth doesn't read the information after an update?
I'd 100% put this down to Not knowing your AC  due to irresponsible people not knowing what there AC does after an upgrade.

Remedy: read the manual and be 100% sure what is in an upgrade.

Bad pilot!!! Spanked bottom
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Mate, I'm not sure what you are trying to prove or support!  There was ample information out, explaining what the firmware upgrade will do, so that there's no surprises.  Trying to support the premise that the change in functionality was somehow the culprit is a red flag in itself!  

Then, we get to the real issue! ...absolute stupidity operating a 'flying circular saw'  (thanks Shadrack
2015-6-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-6-8 18:42
Who on earth doesn't read the information after an update?
I'd 100% put this down to Not knowing you ...

Ditto!  Absolutely agree!
2015-6-8
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I don´t let any one else but me touch my Inspire (even when it is on ground without props mounted) ...
It´s my precious and I will kill you if you lay your hands on it! :@
2015-7-9
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-7-9 17:40
Thanks Gollum - but you won't be able to bite his finger off - the drone's beat you to it

Yea ... I trained it good!
2015-7-9
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-7-9 15:53
Gracias Señor, pero en realidad no fue una problema con el Inspire 1... Enrique no tenia que tocar  ...

Estimada young.selina, no estamos culpando al drone, solo explicando las razones que llevaron al incidente, causado por la imprudencia de Enrique.
2015-7-9
Use props
busclas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 609012 ft
United States

Bottom line, anytime you update anything check your settings to make sure they are not off.
2015-7-10
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

young.selina@ro Posted at 2015-7-10 15:20
Gracias, estoy de acuerdo con el articulo... pero el phrase "Este error fue cometido porque antes  ...

Estoy de acuerdo en la irresponsabilidad e impericia de Enrique...El artículo es el diagnóstico de lo sucedido...
2015-7-11
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

chris@corp-medi Posted at 2015-6-8 02:15
I strongly believe the whole idea of flying the I1 in a concert setting is very bad judgement by the ...

Sorry, I just have to say this.

You cant fix stupid !

The FAA cannot make rules against stupidity.
Rich
2015-7-11
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I think we are all in agreement then, Idiocy! An idiot put his fingers into spinning blades! WTF did you think was going to happen Enrique?  
2015-7-13
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

I was offended by Enrique's manhandling of the gimbal before I got to the part where he cut himself.  He's lucky it didn't fall the other way and hit him in the face!
2015-7-13
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

will@willbarnwe Posted at 2015-7-13 21:11
I was offended by Enrique's manhandling of the gimbal before I got to the part where he cut himself. ...

I agree...
2015-7-16
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

markaguille Posted at 2015-7-13 19:04
I think we are all in agreement then, Idiocy! An idiot put his fingers into spinning blades! WTF did ...

I think so.
2015-7-16
Use props
Jorgehlopezc
lvl.3
Colombia

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-7-12 02:10
Sorry, I just have to say this.

You cant fix stupid !

jajaja I agree with you too.
2015-7-16