Mavic 2 pro vs Mavic pro compass
1206 5 2019-5-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Hello, please, could someone tell me if is it true tha Mavic pro has a compass redundant system while Mavic 2 pro has just one compass?

Thank you a lot
2019-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes that’s correct, I suppose the debate would be which system is best.
While redundancy is supposed to be helpful, that didn’t seem to be the case with Mavic Pro, if you look at the history of Mavic Pro and compare it with M2 , there is a notable difference with compass problems with MP , why this was has not been explained, but many originally thought that MP compass system was badly sealed, two compasses never worked in harmony, so if one got interference other one never kicked in, so no redundancy there.

With new M2 compass problems are rare much more so than any other dji craft, my guess is better compass better sealed and a much less complicated system.
I don’t think there is enough room to pack two compasses comfortably into M2 .

I suppose the measure of which system is best is the one with the fewest problems, by a long way .
2019-5-18
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 5-18 11:33
Yes that’s correct, I suppose the debate would be which system is best.
While redundancy is supposed to be helpful, that didn’t seem to be the case with Mavic Pro, if you look at the history of Mavic Pro and compare it with M2 , there is a notable difference with compass problems with MP , why this was has not been explained, but many originally thought that MP compass system was badly sealed, two compasses never worked in harmony, so if one got interference other one never kicked in, so no redundancy there.

makes sense though two upgraded compasses  would be better than one. Isn t it?  Or  this is actually makes no difference?
2019-5-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Francis Posted at 5-18 12:31
makes sense though two upgraded compasses  would be better than one. Isn t it?  Or  this is actually makes no difference?

Yes that should be the way, but it’s my guess and only a guess that Mavic 2 is to small to take two compasses to properly seal them far enough away to insure when one gets magnetic interference the other doesn’t, in larger drones like phantoms inspires they have much more real estate to separate compass so if one gets interference the second one can take over.

Don’t get me wrong redundancy is the bedrock of all avaition, but it useless having redundancy that doesn’t do the job it’s supposed to do .
2019-5-18
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Francis Posted at 5-18 12:31
makes sense though two upgraded compasses  would be better than one. Isn t it?  Or  this is actually makes no difference?

Not really, it depends on a lot of other design choices.

Say you have 2 compasses, they read differently by (for example) 90 degrees.  How does the flight software know which one is right (or are neither correct?)
If one simply fails (no output, error code output etc) its easy to discard a broken sensor.  However, if one misreads its much harder with only 2 systems to determine which one is broken.

Thats why criticial systems generally have at least 3 and use a form of voting logic, using for example the average of the 2 closest systems and ignoring the further one away.  Plus warning if there is too much difference.
So having 2 isn't really redundant in terms of sensors unless it starts using other queues to cross check each of them (which is more processor load etc).

Other physical reasons come into play as well, the mavic is tiny.  It's very hard to put 2 independent compasses in there far enough apart that interference on one isn't going to affect the other one as well.  
2019-5-19
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Brazil

gnirtS Posted at 5-19 01:02
Not really, it depends on a lot of other design choices.

Say you have 2 compasses, they read differently by (for example) 90 degrees.  How does the flight software know which one is right (or are neither correct?)

Very good points. Thank you
2019-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules