Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Several problems with P3Pro after losing in storm
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
csparks
lvl.1
United States

I was trying to get some shots of an approaching storm, I know risky, but the storm was moving faster and was worse than I thought.  I launched the drone and went up to about 70 feet to see over a forested area.  As soon as I got above the trees 60mph+ winds hit and rain.  I couldn't get the drone to overpower the wind and was trying to land it down wind and by this time out of sight.  It took me 45 minutes to locate it and it still was sending a video signal when I got to it. It was rained on the entire time but not underwater.   I powered it off and dryed it for about 20 hours in front of a fan.  I get no video signal and suspect something burned up on gimbal pitch motor as it got hot and I could smell it.  I also suspect that that may cause the next problem which is when I power down the drone the red light in the button keeps flashing while the green leds go out but the drone is still on.  Not sure where to start on trying to see if I can repair it this time.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

2019-5-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day.  I'm really sorry to know what happened to your previous flight with your DJI phantom 3 Pro. I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav We have the professional team who would do their best to fix and then the corresponding resolution would be provided. Please note that the repair will depend on the warranty period of the said drone; otherwise, valid charges will apply. Thank for your support.
2019-5-19
Use props
csparks
lvl.1
United States

Thanks Stephen, I'm looking to try and diagnose are repair myself. This drone is surely out of warranty as I believe I bought it in 2016.  
2019-5-19
Use props
csparks
lvl.1
United States

I'm on some other non dji forums and getting it narrowed to the gimbal board and or motors.  The motor on the top side of the gimbal gets hot enough to burn my finger in less than 2 minutes and puts off an odor of electrical fire.
2019-5-19
Use props
csparks
lvl.1
United States

I have found a ribbon cable that plugs into the main gimbal board that has burn marks on it.  Not sure if I need to replace the board and or the ribbon cable.
Also, the motor on top of the board is the one that gets really hot and not sure if it is due to the cable and or board or if I need to replace all 3.  
2019-5-20
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
United Kingdom

I have great sympathy for your situation and hope you get it fixed.

Trying to be diplomatic here and not sound smart or rude .... but this is DJI own site and DIY is not really to their liking. As Mod suggested - here the normal response would be to start a 'Ticket' and send it in for DJI to fix. Not cheap I know having had repairs by DJI before. But the knowledge that the P3 came back fully serviced and like new gave me peace of mind.

I still wish you luck though ... but having seen and read so many where replace a part ... then another ... then another ..... these machines are so integrated in the parts ...
2019-5-20
Use props
csparks
lvl.1
United States

solentlife Posted at 5-20 11:06
I have great sympathy for your situation and hope you get it fixed.

Trying to be diplomatic here and not sound smart or rude .... but this is DJI own site and DIY is not really to their liking. As Mod suggested - here the normal response would be to start a 'Ticket' and send it in for DJI to fix. Not cheap I know having had repairs by DJI before. But the knowledge that the P3 came back fully serviced and like new gave me peace of mind.

I understand totally.  I was hoping another person that had gone thru something similar would be able to point me in the right direction.  I have learned from other individuals that it is the yaw motor, I didn't even which motor was on top of the gimbal.  I suspect that I need the yaw motor, entire ribbon cable and the gimbal board.  Looks like I can get the parts for $200 or less and I suspect that sending it in would be a minimum of $500 which the drone is not worth that much.
2019-5-20
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I think your valuation of P3Pro is a bit pessimistic .... they are a popular 2nd user buy and usually command a higher price than $500.

I had my complete gimbal repaired after hitting a tree. The camera broke away and gimbal arm sheered ... motors damaged .... one half of Phantom shell needed replacement ... DJI charged me just over 300 Euros incl. shipping for a complete repair.
2019-5-20
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

csparks Posted at 5-20 07:04
I have found a ribbon cable that plugs into the main gimbal board that has burn marks on it.  Not sure if I need to replace the board and or the ribbon cable.
Also, the motor on top of the board is the one that gets really hot and not sure if it is due to the cable and or board or if I need to replace all 3.  [view_image][view_image]

I would guess if the motor gets that hot that quick, there is a problem with it. Another ribbon cable might not do anything but burn up again due to the overcurrent. Just guessing. Yes, it is hard to diagnose without just replacing parts, but that is your choice. Sure sending it in will cost a few bucks, but might be less for you than trying to chase the problem by replacing components, one after the other. I'm all for trying to fix my own stuff too when I can, but it does sound like you might have more than one thing going on here. Good luck to you.
2019-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules