Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
S900 vs S1000...thinking redundency
10177 10 2014-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
c.debeer
New

South Africa

Hi Guys,

I undestand that the S900 is the best suited platform for a small camera (GH4 and Nex size in mind) ,but i have read on the forums that a Hex has little chance of survival if a motor fails (although claims to the contary have been made by DJI)

Now my comment for discussion..... If you use a S1000 with a Z15 gimbal and NEX or GH type camera and a 16000mAh battery will you get  more stable flight in windy conditions compared to a S900, slightly more flight time and better chance of survival when a motor dies in mid-air, all else being equal.
You also have the option to increase the flight time by using a 2200mAh batteryand stil have decent manuverability. You cannot practically use a 22000mAh battery on a S900.

Thus although a S1000 is more expensive, it is more versitile and have a better chance of survival a motor or esc failure.

Do you guys agree or do I miss something...
2014-11-11
Use props
Winchester
New

Austria

Hi !

i only can say something to the Lipos:

you must keep in mind, when you use a 22000mAh Lipo vs a 16000mAh Lipo the 22000 is heavier so you have to carry more weight the whole flight. So if for example you fly with 16000 10 Min. maybe you fly with 22000 only 12 Min. because of the more weight you have to carry. the 22000 is more expensive and you only get 2 Min. more flighttime.

i think the S1000 with a lighter camera and a 16000 is a good setup and you get longer flightimes than with a heavier camera.

I had a similar idea - i bought a S900 and want to try first with very light camera ( GoPro), so i will get a long flighttime with 15000 mAh.

it works fine when there is no wind, but my problem in the moment is, that my S900 is very unstable at windy conditions. landing is very tricky - i opend a tread and hope to fix my problem.

kind regards
Mike
2014-11-12
Use props
c.debeer
New

South Africa

Thanx for the reply!  So Mike  what you are saying is that the S1000 is more stable in windy conditions that the s900?
2014-11-17
Use props
shawn
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

We fly a S900 and couldn't be happier with it. We just run two 5,000mah batteries in parallel. For us most flight are about 6 min long then we land it and plan out or next shot so we have no need to be in the air for 16+ minutes per shot. Also we went with two smaller batteries in parallel just in case for some odd reason one of the batteries fails we have a second that will keep kicking. And with the batteries being smaller they are only $50 per 5,000mah battery so we have tons of them and can fly all day long since we can charge a set in 12 min. There is defiantly an advantage of having the s1000 incase you have a motor failure but even with the s900 your supposably able to land with IOC.
2014-11-18
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

shawn@remedyfil Posted at 2014-11-18 22:12
We fly a S900 and couldn't be happier with it. We just run two 5,000mah batteries in parallel. For u ...

In my experience there is no better chance to survive with a motor out in a hexa vs. octo. They're both the same because they spin and need IOC to have any chance. I've experienced this first hand with an octo and it's something that most people seem to sweep under the rug. Bottom line is it's really scary. I reccomend setting up and engaging the IOC on throttle hold so it doesn't stick in place and cause an accident. Then before every flight, make sure it goes rapid green in the direction you want. I'd also practice and practice again with IOC on and full yaw spinning as fast as you can. Then try to get control and land. The octo design spins the same as hexa so you're wasting money to spend more for stability purposes. Thats what I did so I know first hand. This is why I flew X8's. I've lost motors on that and it didn't even make the slightest difference. I fly all S900's now as the flight time is way better and no props in the shots. I'm happy with my decision to go this route but you have to always be prepared which is a bit nerve racking. Hopefully A2 will have an upgrade eliminating any spin but for now its something to be aware and well trained in.
2014-11-23
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is completely untrue on an octo. I have seen first hand a motor out on a few different octo configs. Pilot didn't even notice except sluggish yaw.
If you did have a spin after a motor out on an octo you were overloaded. It's really that simple, even at 70% hover point you wouldn't spin on an octo.
2014-11-23
Use props
mostey
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Blade_Strike Posted at 2014-11-24 03:09
This is completely untrue on an octo. I have seen first hand a motor out on a few different octo con ...

No load except 16000 6s and an empty gh4 mount. It happened twice. I drove down to LA to show my dealer because he didn't believe me and was convinced it wouldn't happen with an Octo. So I let him fly with a motor disconnected. He's a very experienced multi and 900 size hell pilot like myself so I trusted him. It yawed around quickly when airborn and he crashed breaking my skid and some props.
After that it changed his perspective on Octo design. Now he lets customers know to spend more money on a 8 vs. 6 is a waste because they do the same things with a motor out. X8 avoids this 100%. I'm happy with my S900 but I was going to get S1000 until I experience this first hand.
2014-11-23
Use props
Blade_Strike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is redundancy in octo config

As you can see take off can be tricky but once the copter is in the air it's a non-issue. I have seen this in person over and over again. In a true failure the pilot will notice something isn't really right with yaw but still very controllable and will get you home.. Unlike a hex, it will do a more of controlled crash while it spins.
2014-11-24
Use props
DJI-nick
lvl.1

China

Both the hex and the octo have redundency compare to quad. but remember, the bigger THRUST-WEIGHT RATIO you have, the safer you are  when you lose a motor.
2014-12-2
Use props
Irakli
New

Georgia

Winchester Posted at 2014-11-12 00:14
Hi !

i only can say something to the Lipos:

can i use 2 16000 batteries simultaneously?
2017-5-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Irakli Posted at 2017-5-23 02:55
can i use 2 16000 batteries simultaneously?

You may be ok as long as the craft is still balanced and they are the same specs as one another.
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules