Will Google Blocking Huawei stop Mimo updates?
791 21 2019-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

After today's news it would seem that my plans to upgrade my phone later this year may not be a good idea.
Any thoughts?

2019-5-19
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Since DJI is Chinese, it wouldn't surprise me if DJI would develop its software and firmware for whatever OS Huawei may develop.

2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-20 00:39
Since DJI is Chinese, it wouldn't surprise me if DJI would develop its software and firmware for whatever OS Huawei may develop.

No doubt. What annoys me is American statutes affecting people worldwide.
People in other countries are already upset at Google's dominance and an ability to get away from it may well backfire on them if it has to keep to those regulations. I understand the position America and other countries are in regarding intellectual rights and are trying their best to get to what they consider is a level playing field in trade but eventually, things would level out anyway. In the meantime, the average person has to put up with the big boys' arguments and consequences. Also, if this is over Apple's declining sales then I definitely won't bother with Apple products again.
2019-5-20
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Trump's game.

https://sputniknews.com/us/20190 ... strictions-lifting/

Now they start a new game with DJI.

https://sputniknews.com/us/20190 ... nes-customers-data/
2019-5-20
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-20 04:23
People in other countries are already upset at Google's dominance and an ability to get away from it may well backfire on them if it has to keep to those regulations. I understand the position America and other countries are in regarding intellectual rights and are trying their best to get to what they consider is a level playing field in trade but eventually, things would level out anyway. In the meantime, the average person has to put up with the big boys' arguments and consequences. Also, if this is over Apple's declining sales then I definitely won't bother with Apple products again.

Many, if not most countries, have protectionist tariffs in place, in order to encourage consumers to buy domestic. Because the US didn't have these tariffs, it has long been known as the place to buy cheap electronics (mostly Chinese). Now, with US tariffs in place, I won't feel quite so bad having to spend more for products, in Thailand, than I would back in my home country. In Thailand, domestic is always cheaper.

And, as your latest Hauwei story seems to demonstrate, a lot of the posturing is for the purposes of give and take.

2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Android is an open source code which America should have no control over. They can't stop Huawei or anyone else from using it, but by stopping Google from working in advance with any Chinese company effectively stops Google from giving advanced update information for them to work on before the release of an official update to security procedures that may stop Huawei phones from being patched effectively as early as it's rivals.
Google can at present interact with Huawei on existing phones but it will affect any new future phones from 2020 when the one but next version of the Android operating system is due. They will also lose access to Google apps which will be a deal breaker for a lot of people when choosing phones.
It may also affect current apps like Mimo which rely on some of Google's source code for things like updating our Osmo Pockets. Huawei has stated that they have been preparing for something like this for some time and may decide to use their own operating system. My guess will be their own updated version of Andriod, at which point users will no longer be able to use G Mail for instance as well as other Google cloud services and possibly anything developed for the GooglePlay Store.
America already controls most operating systems and now effectively wants control of what started out as being an open source technology by telling its own companies to do what it claims the Chinese do to their companies. I think it's shameful. They are behaving in exactly the same manner they accuse others of doing.

As for the JDI thing, that has been going on even longer than the Huawei argument. Even if this were true they don't see their own program of spy satellites and planes they have used over the last half century as a problem but are now crying because another country has allegedly, supposedly, found an easier method.

I shouldn't moan. The British were worse than both parties of the present when we tried to control an Empire. In the end, we lost, Ha!
Perhaps America is worrying it will go the same way. Maybe that should have listened to Doris Day's advice.
2019-5-20
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-20 16:38
Android is an open source code which America should have no control over. They can't stop Huawei or anyone else from using it, but by stopping Google from working in advance with any Chinese company effectively stops Google from giving advanced update information for them to work on before the release of an official update to security procedures that may stop Huawei phones from being patched effectively as early as it's rivals.
Google can at present interact with Huawei on existing phones but it will affect any new future phones from 2020 when the one but next version of the Android operating system is due. They will also lose access to Google apps which will be a deal breaker for a lot of people when choosing phones.
It may also affect current apps like Mimo which rely on some of Google's source code for things like updating our Osmo Pockets. Huawei has stated that they have been preparing for something like this for some time and may decide to use their own operating system. My guess will be their own updated version of Andriod, at which point users will no longer be able to use G Mail for instance as well as other Google cloud services and possibly anything developed for the GooglePlay Store.

How is the Brexit going? Hard or deal?
2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-20 16:44
How is the Brexit going? Hard or deal?

I think most British people wished that Guy Falks had been successful
2019-5-20
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

Although many  of the new up-and-comers, in US politics, want to have the government in control of just about everything, it will take time to even begin to approach the control the Chinese government has over its corporations and other institutions.

At this point, the Americans have already lost much of its "economic" empire. The steps are now to try to take some back. And, although it could always be a "glitch", the numbers seem to show it's heading in the right direction.

Unfortunately, Huawei has become a bit of a political hostage in the mix. But, given its intrusion into much of the world's infrastructure, I  think serious scrutiny is justified.

From a British perspective: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75hm25
2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-20 16:56
Although many  of the new up-and-comers, in US politics, want to have the government in control of just about everything, it will take time to even begin to approach the control the Chinese government has over its corporations and other institutions.

At this point, the Americans have already lost much of its "economic" empire. The steps are now to try to take some back. And, although it could always be a "glitch", the numbers seem to show it's heading in the right direction.

I don't disagree but we should ask ourselves how we got to this point in the first place and the simple answer is we wanted things cheap instead of supporting home-grown produce from the outset. And that most western companies expect too much profit because 'ours are the best' which is clearly not always the case anymore.  Even when it's true the additional cost of such ownership is often not worth the extra cost.
2019-5-20
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

we spread android mimo app via  dji website, google play, Huawei App Store and other app stores. (  https://www.dji.com/en/mimo )

u can always update mimo app from dji website , no matter what happens to any android App Store
2019-5-20
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

DJI-ytao Posted at 5-20 23:30
we spread android mimo app via  dji website, google play, Huawei App Store and other app stores. (  https://www.dji.com/en/mimo )

u can always update mimo app from dji website , no matter what happens to any android App Store

Thank you for the information Ytao. Much appreciated and relieved.
2019-5-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-20 04:23
People in other countries are already upset at Google's dominance and an ability to get away from it may well backfire on them if it has to keep to those regulations. I understand the position America and other countries are in regarding intellectual rights and are trying their best to get to what they consider is a level playing field in trade but eventually, things would level out anyway. In the meantime, the average person has to put up with the big boys' arguments and consequences. Also, if this is over Apple's declining sales then I definitely won't bother with Apple products again.

Hi Ray.

What annoys me is that complete prick in charge of America, he isn't doing the American people any favours. It'll be interesting to see what he and his mates are getting off the back of this. Don't forget, he's the biggest conflict of interest that the Americans have ever had leading their country. Someone with that amount of conflicting business interest and stupidity shouldn't be allowed to run a car let alone a country.

I don't think this is actually Google turning the screws. There's a 'banned entity' list that soft lad has added Huawei to and I think that Google are just complying, by law. Plus and if I'm not mistaken, Huawei are one of, if not the biggest phone manufacturer in the world. As they use Android, Google will lose revenue if all those Huawei phones can't download payed apps. I could be wrong but I don't think this is good for Google.

I do understand and agree that you need to protect your local economy, especially if it is effecting jobs. But there are a whole bunch of American tech companies that supply Huawei that will see their profits drop as they will no longer be able to supply to them. American job losses are inevitable.

Maybe what soft lad should be doing, as well as our spineless government and others, is to go for all that tax not being payed by the corporates, Google, Amazon, Apple etc. But chances are that they've all got interests in those companies.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is all about America/soft lad and the West bricking themsleves as they fall behind the East. Earlier this year China successfully soft landed a probe on the dark side of the moon, something that no other country has done.

Anyway, I'm off out to play with my Chinese actioncam, not to be mistaken with that cheap Ameraican knock-off by some company, I think they're called Go-Slow

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 5-21 00:22
Hi Ray.

What annoys me is that complete prick in charge of America, he isn't doing the American people any favours. It'll be interesting to see what he and his mates are getting off the back of this. Don't forget, he's the biggest conflict of interest that the Americans have ever had leading their country. Someone with that amount of conflicting business interest and stupidity shouldn't be allowed to run a car let alone a country.

Hi David.
No, you are completely right. I'm sure Google is horrified at this development.
One good thing is America getting serious about space again. Letting private companies try to bring down costs I think is a better way forward than a lumbering government agency. I think this would have happened whoever was currently president because of the events you describe. I know NASA is still a big player but even then they are farming out parts of projects for development.
Huawei is currently the second largest I think, but catching up fast.
My Son's friend went and bought the top Go-Pro two days before the Action Cam came out.
He's probably a bit upset.
2019-5-21
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-20 16:50

+10 for that comment!
2019-5-21
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-20 16:50

Aunt May makes a statement .....on 'new Brexit deal'.  She has a big chain on her neck .......
2019-5-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-20 16:56

Hi Curt.
Yes, I saw this when it was first broadcast. But again I'll repeat, how did we get to this point? And even if we use other tech it is possible to be just as vulnerable.
The program pointed out you need a partner you can trust and doesn't spy on other countries. Who does that leave then?
The problem is every country is afraid of being left behind so is scrambling ahead without fully knowing consequences. Name me one complex bit of kit where the end consumer is not the beta tester. Even cars are going down this route and we do so at our own peril. To single out a country or company when everyone is possibly at it is hypercritical even if justified.
I think Google and Amazon know more about me than Huawei. Maybe not. Does it matter?
However, DJI has stated here that we will always be able to update our devices, so as to the rest of it, my own government has enough data on me to worry about before worrying about if anyone in China knows my favorite restaurant. As for shutting down my autonomous home, I don't have one. Even my TV is dumb and my car has a radio.  :-)
2019-5-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-21 07:32
Aunt May makes a statement .....on 'new Brexit deal'.  She has a big chain on her neck .......

To quote a sage UK Guru, Pete Townsend.
We won't get fooled again.
Except.
We probably will when it turns out that the new boss is the same as the old boss
2019-5-21
Use props
Oh-no
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 5-21 08:11
To quote a sage UK Guru, Pete Townsend.
We won't get fooled again.
Except.

He or she is the servant of the people, not boss.......
2019-5-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Oh-no Posted at 5-21 14:01
He or she is the servant of the people, not boss.......

And yet we are where we are.
2019-5-21
Use props
Curt1591
First Officer
Thailand

"Servant of the People"

The problem is that all the little bosses got a bigger boss
2019-5-21
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Curt1591 Posted at 5-21 16:45
"Servant of the People"

Just wait and see if we all vote for UKIP in the European elections this week.
That will upset both Brussels and major political parties
Well, I can dream.
Personally, I can see no end to this mess and I voted to stay.
David Cameron, as the other idiot Tony Blair, is no longer to be seen after the event of yet another blunder. We in the UK can laugh at America but are no better in the long term.
Both I fear have happened because of the ever greater divide between the have, and have nots.
It is not something that will be corrected by trade wars or any other kind of conflict.
Education does not work if there is no work for the educated let alone the poor souls who are not.
The more I think about this the more I think I'm turning into a liberal. and that depresses me just as much
2019-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules