Firmware update and screen delay
12Next >
8780 52 2019-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

I heard there was a firmware update for action. (Initial update at activation may be?)
Is it improved screen delay when you use rock steady and dewarp?

I tested few action in store and they had at least a second delay when 4K rock stead,dewarp.
2019-5-20
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Tide, the delay/lag is mainly due to RockSteady stabilization technology consuming a large number of computing resources. We will continue to optimize and will release new firmware in the future. Appreciate your support and attention.
2019-5-21
Use props
KerryG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should only have about a 1/4 second delay in 4k with RockSteady
2019-5-21
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

DJI Susan Posted at 5-21 00:36
Hi Tide, the delay/lag is mainly due to RockSteady stabilization technology consuming a large number of computing resources. We will continue to optimize and will release new firmware in the future. Appreciate your support and attention.

Thanks Susan,

That is good to know.
2019-5-21
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

KerryG Posted at 5-21 06:43
You should only have about a 1/4 second delay in 4k with RockSteady

Yeah I think it should be 1/4 second delay normal but 3 devices I tested was clearly more than a second delay.
Cause I filmed action's screen and my hand in front of action to check the how long of delay is.

So it is great they will improve it with firmware update.

2019-5-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Tide Posted at 5-21 07:07
Thanks Susan,

That is good to know.

My pleasure. If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us.
2019-5-23
Use props
littleBang
New
Canada

Hello DJI Team!

Love the product but this delay is sooooo not ok! Like... its 2019... there is'nt even a delay like that on facetime... and mostly what I am here to say is, the solution is super easy:

Just make that the screen shows the image PRE stabilization instead of POSTStabilzation (you can crop it a little to give the real ratio that will be the result!)

But yea... we dont realy care if the footage on our mini screen is suuuper smooth... what we DOOO care about is to not feel like we are holding a product of 1996, which causes problems when filming fast paced things .... (kinda like, what an action camera is for or other stuff...)... I honestly love the product soo much but am already considering selling it back cuz I just cant work with that... so I hope the firmware update comes fast!!!

thank you so much. you team are awesome!
2019-5-28
Use props
littleBang
New
Canada

Also a question: Would it be possible in the next update to have an option to Choose which screen turns on automaticaly when powering on?   I would personaly much prefer if the small screen turned on by default... I can understand that is not everyone's preference... but I am sure others would share that preference... and mostly again, its pretty simple on your team's end to implement.   thank youuu!
2019-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Tide Posted at 5-21 07:09
Yeah I think it should be 1/4 second delay normal but 3 devices I tested was clearly more than a second delay.
Cause I filmed action's screen and my hand in front of action to check the how long of delay is.

It’s pretty quick and unlikely to throw you, has it improved, well it’s much better than The GoPro diehards on you tube are making out ,
2019-5-28
Use props
fansc6675735
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10781 ft
United States

Hi, I see the last post here was about a month ago.  So I thought I would post a question.  I am struggling between picking the Hero 7 and Osmo Action, I have the Osmo Action in my shopping cart but I continue to read and look at videos and the screen delay seems to be a concern for many users.  Has this been improved since the last post?

By the way, I have a Mavic Pro and love it!  For this reason I'm considering the Osmo Action.

Thank you in advance
2019-6-18
Use props
Drones Puppet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 390154 ft
Germany

fansc6675735 Posted at 6-18 07:02
Hi, I see the last post here was about a month ago.  So I thought I would post a question.  I am struggling between picking the Hero 7 and Osmo Action, I have the Osmo Action in my shopping cart  but I continue to read and look at videos and the screen delay seems to be a concern for many users.  Has this been improved since the last post?

By the way, I have a Mavic Pro and love it!  For this reason I'm considering the Osmo Action.

No.

I regret the sale of my Gopro 7
2019-6-18
Use props
Kevi32
lvl.1
United States

Bummer, I love my Mavic 2 Pro with the Hasselblad and the manual options. I really wanted to like the Osmo Action. Maybe the next generation will be better?  My problem, I need an action camera for an event.
2019-6-19
Use props
Kevi32
lvl.1
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 5-21 00:36

Hi DJI Susan, if the CPU cannot process the complex algorithm for Rocksteady and not delay the screen, why not offer “Rocksteady Lite” which would process a portion of the algorithms? Most people would hold Osmo Action to watch the screen and follow the action on the screen.
2019-6-19
Use props
CubbyJonson
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Went to a motorcycle race meeting a couple of weeks ago & i have to admit it was hard trying to follow the bikes whilst panning with the screen delay...be nice if DJI could cure the lag.As for all the comparisons with the gopro 7 i think it is pointless , the gopro is 7th gen & the osmo is 1st gen...i think DJI has done a pretty good job & it will only improve with time...be patient & wait for updates.
2019-6-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Kevi32 Posted at 6-19 09:15
Hi DJI Susan, if the CPU cannot process the complex algorithm for Rocksteady and not delay the screen, why not offer “Rocksteady Lite” which would process a portion of the algorithms? Most people would hold Osmo Action to watch the screen and follow the action on the screen.

Thanks for your suggestion. Hope the engineers will consider it and offer better experience in the future.
2019-6-20
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133533 ft
Estonia

DJI Susan Posted at 6-20 01:32
Thanks for your suggestion. Hope the engineers will consider it and offer better experience in the future.

When I purchased the camera, it had early firmware with EIS (not rocksteady). The delay on display was very minor and acceptable (like on standby mode without recording on last firmware), and I was able to switch displays while recording. Now after updating to latest firmware I got terrible lag when recording with rocksteady on, and I lost the option to switch screens! How could you release the new firmware that made things worse and disabled useful features?! On top of that there is no option to downgrade firmware - I am very disappointed!
2019-7-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

sunlit Posted at 7-9 11:57
When I purchased the camera, it had early firmware with EIS (not rocksteady). The delay on display was very minor and acceptable (like on standby mode without recording on last firmware), and I was able to switch displays while recording. Now after updating to latest firmware I got terrible lag when recording with rocksteady on, and I lost the option to switch screens! How could you release the new firmware that made things worse and disabled useful features?! On top of that there is no option to downgrade firmware - I am very disappointed!

May I know what's the current firmware version? What's the video resolution when you enabled the rocksteady on? It will be better to upload some video samples for further analysis, thanks in advance!
2019-7-11
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-11 00:26
May I know what's the current firmware version? What's the video resolution when you enabled the rocksteady on? It will be better to upload some video samples for further analysis, thanks in advance!

It is amazing how you sound as if you are out of touch with your own product. You seem surprised that there was no lag in the EIS firmware!
I have the latest current firmware updated by Mimo app (IOS) - 01.03.00.10 (6460)
The resolution I shoot is 4K (24 or 30 fps)
I don't see the point in uploading sample videos since you cannot see display lag in the video, and the video itself is OK (I guess)
I can upload if you really think it is necessary (for what analysis??? - you can just take your camera and see the horrendous lag on the display - you don't need to make analysis for that! All Youtube reviews mention this lag!)
Also please comment why they removed the ability to switch screens via double tap or voice command WHILE RECORDING.
And it would be really nice to hear WHY switching between screens necessitates a break in recording with a 4 second gap and start of new file? This is a huge failure IMHO, since I cannot think of any reason why you designed the camera in such a way that a simple switch between displays is not possible without interrupting the recording!
2019-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

sunlit Posted at 7-11 02:00
It is amazing how you sound as if you are out of touch with your own product. You seem surprised that there was no lag in the EIS firmware!
I have the latest current firmware updated by Mimo app (IOS) - 01.03.00.10 (6460)

“And it would be really nice to hear WHY switching between screens necessitates a break in recording with a 4 second gap and start of new file? This is a huge failure IMHO, since I cannot think of any reason”

Is that not the answer to your question, perhaps they think the screen switch can’t be achieved seamlessly at this time ? So they’ve removed it.
2019-7-11
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I have been contemplating this delay and screen switching issue.

Regarding screen switch, it is strange that you can use camera, have LCD time out and go dark, and you can wake it up again and not get a delay / stop in recording.
So was wondering why it have to be the way it is ( i should say in all fairness i tend to think things are more simple than they actually are )
Also wondering can you switch screen when the camera have the LCD in sleep / dark mode, or do a LCD have to be on / active before you can switch to the other one.

Regarding the LCD screen delay, it is as if the camera display what go on the memory card, after all kinds of processing.
Wouldn't it be possibly to have the LCD display what come off the sensor before processing,,,,,,, this should take care of any delay.
2019-7-11
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

I guess I can see where the change of files and the loss of info when switching screens could adversely affect a blogger's recording where they move from recording the scene to recording themselves and switch screens.  To have to pause "the action and narration" would affect the smooth flow of the recording.  This is probably not something I would do but I can see it would be quite important.
2019-7-11
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

Aardvark Posted at 7-11 03:08
“And it would be really nice to hear WHY switching between screens necessitates a break in recording with a 4 second gap and start of new file? This is a huge failure IMHO, since I cannot think of any reason”

Is that not the answer to your question, perhaps they think the screen switch can’t be achieved seamlessly at this time ? So they’ve removed it.

They did not remove it, you can still switch the screens by pressing and holding the QS button, but you can no longer do it via double tap or voice command. Weird thinking....
2019-7-11
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

peiter Posted at 7-11 04:42

Regarding screen switch, it is strange that you can use camera, have LCD time out and go dark, and you can wake it up again and not get a delay / stop in recording.

There was no bad delay with the original firmware my camera came with from the box (it had no RockSteady but stab was called EIS - it worked the same way)! The delay was same we have no when not recording - very minor and adequate.
2019-7-11
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

ff22 Posted at 7-11 06:58
I guess I can see where the change of files and the loss of info when switching screens could adversely affect a blogger's recording where they move from recording the scene to recording themselves and switch screens.  To have to pause "the action and narration" would affect the smooth flow of the recording.  This is probably not something I would do but I can see it would be quite important.

Exactly! for a Vlogger that actually kills all the usefulness of the front screen. You simply cannot quickly bring the camera around and switch the displays, and then turn back again - something a vlogger might like to do a dozen times in a short video. For this reason my initial excitement with the front screen sort of died away and now my thinking is that with this mechanism of screen switching I might as well had a GoPro 7 without front display!
2019-7-11
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

peiter Posted at 7-11 04:42

You have a point in that things can seem simpler than they are - we don't know exactly how DJI have implemented the functionality.

For example the idea of displaying the image straight from the sensor is a good idea ( to remove the apparent lag ) - but it depends on what translation is done between sensor and lcd display. Also I suspect it may be tied in with how they are writing to the usd card.

The delay between switching is screens may be similar, although there will be time to initialise display hardware this will be tiny in comparison to the seconds it actually takes.

I would imagine there will be improvements in firmware in these aspects. Fingers crossed !

2019-7-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

sunlit Posted at 7-11 02:00

I understand your situation and sorry for the inconvenience, but complaining will not help in either way. A short sample will be helpful to check the exact status. We appreciate your support and cooperation.
Regarding the switch issue, I've forwarded to our engineers to check and will keep you updated.
2019-7-11
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-11 23:01
I understand your situation and sorry for the inconvenience, but complaining will not help in either way. A short sample will be helpful to check the exact status. We appreciate your support and cooperation.
Regarding the switch issue, I've forwarded to our engineers to check and will keep you updated.

Please specify what kind of sample you would like me to share. A sample of video from the old firmware with EIS, or the current RS firmware? I still fail to understand what "exact status" are you looking to find from my sample video? How do I share it? Do you have an option to attach a video file to this forum?
2019-7-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

sunlit Posted at 7-11 23:54
Please specify what kind of sample you would like me to share. A sample of video from the old firmware with EIS, or the current RS firmware? I still fail to understand what "exact status" are you looking to find from my sample video? How do I share it? Do you have an option to attach a video file to this forum?

The issue you mentioned of the current RS firmware. You may upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share us the link, we'd like to check.
2019-7-14
Use props
sunlit
lvl.2
Estonia

DJI Susan Posted at 7-14 00:47
The issue you mentioned of the current RS firmware. You may upload the video to Dropbox or Google Drive, then share us the link, we'd like to check.

The issue I mentioned was the lag on the display, but it obviously cannot be observed on the recorded video file! Do you realize that?
I have made a video with 3 big issues Osmo Action have - https://youtu.be/qS0_EaJAe0M
please watch and forward to engineers if necessary! =)
2019-7-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

sunlit Posted at 7-15 10:22
The issue I mentioned was the lag on the display, but it obviously cannot be observed on the recorded video file! Do you realize that?
I have made a video with 3 big issues Osmo Action have - https://youtu.be/qS0_EaJAe0M
please watch and forward to engineers if necessary! =)

Thanks for your video. I'll forward to our engineers to check.
2019-7-16
Use props
BobMutchSD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74623 ft
United States

My Wishlist Extreme (as in Please Fix Now):

Screen Delay - Simply add option to display to after camera settings, and before RockSteady. Problem here might be existing order of operations.

Occasionally videos are saved vertically, that weren't shot that way. Easily fixed with Apple Preview/QuickTime, but still annoying when previewing in-camera.

UI Issue: Any Setting with Only 2 Options should be a Toggle, not drill down into another menu level. The swipe/taps saved add up. This is done in Some parts of UI (i.e. Voice Control), but would be helpful in others (i.e. Color or Dwarp settings)

Lastly, External Microphone: Action has Selfie Screen, so it MUST accept an external microphone, for vlogging. This can't be a simple oversight; it's likely a complicated design oversight, or a questionable marketing decision. Best PR would be to fix this SOON, and allow for use of Generic USB-C adapters. 2nd best would be to allow use of Osmo Pocket adapter.

Bonus: Supply Lens Removal Tool.
2019-7-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I see a screen delay of 0.36 of a second when recording in 4k @ 60fps with Rocksteady & Dewarp both on.

For some reason I cannot upload images today ?

2019-7-16
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-16 08:12
I see a screen delay of 0.36 of a second when recording in 4k @ 60fps with Rocksteady & Dewarp both on.

For some reason I cannot upload images today ?

Did you video a "sweep second hand"? (g)
2019-7-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 7-16 08:37
Did you video a "sweep second hand"? (g)

Almost :-)

I recorded the stopwatch display on my iPad.
2019-7-16
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-16 08:40
Almost :-)

I recorded the stopwatch display on my iPad.

We, well, maybe I await the video with bated (I had sardines the other morning so it would have been baited) breath.
2019-7-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 7-16 11:06
We, well, maybe I await the video with bated (I had sardines the other morning so it would have been baited) breath.

Not a video, but a still image showing the time lag between real-time and that shown on Osmo Action screen.

The Osmo Action is using a 64GB Sandisk Extreme with a maximum continuous write speed of 40MB/s. I have a couple of Sandisk Extreme plus cards in the post, their maximum continuous write speed is 60MB/s (although both have Minimum write speed of 30MB/s) so it will be interesting to see if that has any bearing on the display lag at all. I suspect not, as they are both fast enough to cover 4k @ 100Mb/s that should be required.

I can see though that any improvement in write speed might benefit the performance of the Osmo Action. I'll perform same test when newer cards arrive.
rocksteady.png
2019-7-17
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-17 01:42
Not a video, but a still image showing the time lag between real-time and that shown on Osmo Action screen.

The Osmo Action is using a 64GB Sandisk Extreme with a maximum continuous write speed of 40MB/s. I have a couple of Sandisk Extreme plus cards in the post, their maximum continuous write speed is 60MB/s (although both have Minimum write speed of 30MB/s) so it will be interesting to see if that has any bearing on the display lag at all. I suspect not, as they are both fast enough to cover 4k @ 100Mb/s that should be required.

A theory about write-speed might be interesting to pursue...
2019-7-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 7-17 06:29
A theory about write-speed might be interesting to pursue...

And hot off the press their latest firmware update:- https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D557%26typeid%3D557
2019-7-17
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 7-17 01:42
Not a video, but a still image showing the time lag between real-time and that shown on Osmo Action screen.

The Osmo Action is using a 64GB Sandisk Extreme with a maximum continuous write speed of 40MB/s. I have a couple of Sandisk Extreme plus cards in the post, their maximum continuous write speed is 60MB/s (although both have Minimum write speed of 30MB/s) so it will be interesting to see if that has any bearing on the display lag at all. I suspect not, as they are both fast enough to cover 4k @ 100Mb/s that should be required.

I like that test.

Trying it, I found about .35s not recording and then about .65 when recording. ( using the same 4K, 60 as above )
2019-7-17
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 7-17 07:25
I like that test.

Trying it, I found about .35s not recording and then about .65 when recording. ( using the same 4K, 60 as above )

As a quick update, tried the new firmware, recording delay looks similar at about 0.62s.

2019-7-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules