Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Cellular connection required?
1231 5 2019-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tboydva
lvl.1
United States

About to purchase DJI P4 Pro. I was told that it will not work in restricted areas (e.g. where I live!). I want to film in Alaska this summer. I think based on my reading here and in the manual that the cell phone/controller does not need to be on wifi or cellular data for the GPS functionality. I believe one must cache the Map data if he/she wants to use it while connected, but the drone should know its position using internal GPS or what can be gathered from the phone GPS (I have GPS in my cellphone). Before I spend a ton of money, could someone confirm my understanding so I don't get to Adak and have an AC that won't fly because there is no cell/data service (and no wifi!).

Thanks. Sorry if this is obvious. I'm a photography enthusiast and new to drones (obviously...). I just don't want to make a $1K mistake and get nothing on "film" during my trip.

-Tom
2019-5-21
Use props
BagoDJIoperator84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

You do not need cell/data to fly your drone. If do want the maps to show up on your phone you need download or cache the maps before. The drone has its internal GPS. I would test without cell service by putting the cellphone in airplane mode. Hope this helps.
2019-5-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Tom. Thank you for reaching out and for the inquiry. BagoDJIoperator84 is correct on post #2. You can fly your DJI Drone without internet or cellular connection. Generally, I would recommend to put the mobile in flight mode or airplane mode. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You could fly in the middle of the ocean or anywhere else without any cell or internet connections.
Maps aren't needed and are really very little use anyway.
The only GPS your drone would need is its own built-in GPS receiver.
2019-5-21
Use props
tboydva
lvl.1
United States

Folks - Thanks so much for the rapid and accurate replies... I thought this was the case, but it's a bit confusing for a newbie... I wanted to get the drone a month or two before my trip so I can become proficient (or at least not disastrous!). Thanks again!!!!
-Tom
2019-5-22
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

tboydva@gmail.c Posted at 5-22 05:25
Folks - Thanks so much for the rapid and accurate replies... I thought this was the case, but it's a bit confusing for a newbie... I wanted to get the drone a month or two before my trip so I can become proficient (or at least not disastrous!). Thanks again!!!!
-Tom

You are very much welcome Tom. If you have any other inquiries or concern with your DJI Drone or with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you.
2019-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules