Flying Mavic Pro Platinum from a boat
495 4 2019-5-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimmy W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75020 ft
United States

Hi all.  Got a question.   Im going out on my pontoon boat for the first time this year this weekend.  Any tricks to launching a Mavic Pro Platinum from one.  The reason i ask is the frame and pontoons are aluminium.   Magnetic interference worries.  Im sure others have run into this.   Any pointers?  
2019-5-22
Use props
Tridiver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4459344 ft
  • >>>
United States

You shouldn't get too much interference from aluminum!  If it happens, hold it in the air for power up.  There are quite a few things to know about flying from a boat.  Need to know how to hand catch and when launching be SURE the drone is at the stern if the boat is moving forward or upwind if you adrift.  Watch some YT vids.  If you're running off smart RTH and reset your home point every few minutes.  Learn that hand catch!!!!!
2019-5-22
Use props
Jimmy W
lvl.2
Flight distance : 75020 ft
United States

Thanks.  The YT is a great idea.  I already thought about the home point changing constantly, even drifting or anchored with swing.  Might try the "follow me" function.  I can see hand catching a Mavic is a little more difficult than, say, phantom.   
2019-5-22
Use props
zzdrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84062 ft
United States

I tried Mavic on a moving boat, it didn't work. The drone stays in IMU initializing mode. I have to anchor the boat to get it ready.
2019-5-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Jimmy W. Thank you for the inquiry. We are not recommending you to fly your drones above the sea especially if it's on low altitude over the water surface, I'm afraid that your aircraft will recognize the first location when the aircraft took off and it greatly reduces your emergency landing area. The DJI Mavic Pro Platinum might land to in the sea since the boat is moving. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules