Yacht on rocks. Lifeboat in attendance.
480 2 2019-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

If you crave a little drama, this unedited clip might interest you.
[color=var(--yt-spec-text-primary)]There is no sound.
A small yacht that had been exploring the bays and cruising the coastline around Alderney in the Channel Islands appear to have got between a rock and a wet place as the powerful currents swirled around it. The tide had turned and was coming in. This was at 5.00pm on 22nd of May 2019
My Mavic Pro drone was being tested when I noticed Islanders watching something out to sea. The lifeboat was in attendance and because of the currents and being hemmed in, it seemed unable to tow the yacht away. Towards the end of the clip, it looks like the keel of the yacht is on the rocks.
I stood off a safe distance so I would not cause any hazard to anyone, that is why there is no closeup shots. I did crop one photo so you could get a better view. Rather than risk the drone, I returned early with ample battery life and went home to send the raw clip to the BBC for the local news.
If I hear updates, I will add to this note.
Update!
According to my hairdresser, her husband was working on the lifeboat, there were two Royal Navy guys on the yacht. Oops! Would this be Leslie Phillips and Jon Pertwee of the Navy Lark! I wonder?
It isn't the first time the RN have met with disaster around this coast. The story goes that a brand new, shiny, steam driven gunship was totally destroyed when it hit the rocks. And the world think drone pilots are dangerous...
Anyway, this little yacht was towed into harbour by the lifeboat. No one got hurt or wet. A good thing.

DJI_0003 Closeup Mod.jpg
DJI_0003 Moded.jpg
2019-5-23
Use props
ShermanFlyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

Right place at the right time, got to love it. Glad everyone was safe
2019-5-23
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

ShermanFlyer Posted at 5-23 03:53
Right place at the right time, got to love it. Glad everyone was safe

That is about right ShermanFlyer.
It occurred to me that the boat crews wouldn't be able to see the deep water from the decks and although they had depth finders, that does not show the way ahead. I could see deep water and had we a means of communication, I could have lead them to safety.
2019-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules