Federal Concern of Drones Stealing Data
1130 14 2019-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

Just came across this CNET article about Department of Homeland Security and it's concerns about Chinese made drones.  Not sure if this is tied to the recent business beef between the U.S. and China, though I'm really tired of the sUAS community and industry getting all of this negative light.

https://www.cnet.com/news/homela ... ones-stealing-data/
2019-5-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What, now? They've been flying in US airspace for years - including the military lol - I think their unfounded paranoid concerns are somewhat late.
2019-5-23
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

Yeah, I know, though the once 'secluded' recreation, has recently become a a legit industry and interest with massive and aggressive growth, so along with that newfound exposure, comes ignorant hysteria.  People, usually in the western cultures, always seem to get paranoia with a new interest/product that most of the population is not in to.  Right now, many 'average joes' view us here in these forums as the new potential threat that will bring about chaos and destruction.  I say that with no joking intent either.
2019-5-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Neo Supreme Posted at 5-23 05:34
Yeah, I know, though the once 'secluded' recreation, has recently become a a legit industry and interest with massive and aggressive growth, so along with that newfound exposure, comes ignorant hysteria.  People, usually in the western cultures, always seem to get paranoia with a new interest/product that most of the population is not in to.  Right now, many 'average joes' view us here in these forums as the new potential threat that will bring about chaos and destruction.  I say that with no joking intent either.

Wild hysteria lol - people thought you would internally combust if you got in a car that drove more than 6MPH back in the day Some people need more time
2019-5-23
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out, for the information given and for the link you have shared with us today. DJI assures all of it's members and customers that the information that they used and shared are well secured, safe and confidential. In addition to this matter. DJI released an official statement that, " At DJI, safety is at the core of everything we do, and the security of our technology has been independently verified by the U.S. government and leading U.S. businesses. DJI is leading the industry on this topic and our technology platform has enabled businesses and government agencies to establish best practices for managing their drone data. We give all customers full and complete control over how their data is collected, stored, and transmitted. For government and critical infrastructure customers that require additional assurances, we provide drones that do not transfer data to DJI or via the internet, and our customers can enable all the precautions DHS recommends. Every day, American businesses, first respondents, and U.S. government agencies trust DJI drones to help save lives, promote worker safety, and support vital operations, and we take that responsibility very seriously. We are committed to continuously working with our customers and industry and government stakeholders to ensure our technology adheres to all of their requirements." Thank you for your valued support.
2019-5-23
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-23 08:14
Hello and good day. Thank you for reaching out, for the information given and for the link you have shared with us today. DJI assures all of it's members and customers that the information that they used and shared are well secured, safe and confidential. In addition to this matter. DJI released an official statement that, " At DJI, safety is at the core of everything we do, and the security of our technology has been independently verified by the U.S. government and leading U.S. businesses. DJI is leading the industry on this topic and our technology platform has enabled businesses and government agencies to establish best practices for managing their drone data. We give all customers full and complete control over how their data is collected, stored, and transmitted. For government and critical infrastructure customers that require additional assurances, we provide drones that do not transfer data to DJI or via the internet, and our customers can enable all the precautions DHS recommends. Every day, American businesses, first respondents, and U.S. government agencies trust DJI drones to help save lives, promote worker safety, and support vital operations, and we take that responsibility very seriously. We are committed to continuously working with our customers and industry and government stakeholders to ensure our technology adheres to all of their requirements." Thank you for your valued support.

Thanks for the response on this thread.  Most of us know that just about all electronic devices with a CPU and/or radio/internet communications collect some form of data, for use in some form of database.  Drones are becoming the current scapegoat for many security 'concerns'.  Our smartphones are way more of a security threat, but......yeah.
2019-5-23
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

What exactly are they going to get. Anything that might be restricted is already a no fly zone. Your park and forest videos, already on youtube in more ways than you can imagine. Possibly your username or password to the DJI forum. If that is all that is out there be happy. With all  the hacks and breeches there are way more things to worry about then user data from a drone. If your password is stolen, hopefully you have enough common sense to use different passwords and not just one you share to log in everywhere
2019-5-23
Use props
Schmooit
First Officer
Flight distance : 1336581 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Neo Supreme Posted at 5-23 10:50
Thanks for the response on this thread.  Most of us know that just about all electronic devices with a CPU and/or radio/internet communications collect some form of data, for use in some form of database.  Drones are becoming the current scapegoat for many security 'concerns'.  Our smartphones are way more of a security threat, but......yeah.

Smart phones and hmmmmm where does that good old brand Apple get its phones, Ipads and other tech manufactured, hmmm I'm trying to think here! Oh wait a minute its CHINA! when we talk about safety concerns and data in this light I think Mr T only need look in his back yard and have a chat with good ol Zuck, he doesnt make any devices but his software is plugged in and connected everywhere so all he really needs to do is hand over the keys and China already have alot of BIG data or have and massive platform to spread malware (to be honest a fair bit already gets spread there anyway!)

How many other items are made in China isnt IBM now Lenovo who supply the thinkpad and numerous servers that are used in businesses all over the world and blades in datacentres!

Storm in a tea cup Im from the UK and drones get a bad rep here too especially after the Gatwick issue before xmas!

Its a way government can bring in regulations or curbs usage but still have the products available in their economy, Drones are just another scape goat

Think yourselves lucky in the UK Huawei are going to be supplying most of the tech for our 5G networks!
2019-5-23
Use props
Starfire3D
lvl.2
New Zealand

I hope the USA doesn't annoy China to much, China is much more technically advanced than the USA, and their armed forces are about 3 times bigger. Lets hope the USA isn't that stupid (considering the attitude of Mr. Trump)
2019-5-23
Use props
Neo Supreme
Second Officer
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 5-23 11:56
What exactly are they going to get. Anything that might be restricted is already a no fly zone. Your park and forest videos, already on youtube in more ways than you can imagine. Possibly your username or password to the DJI forum. If that is all that is out there be happy. With all  the hacks and breeches there are way more things to worry about then user data from a drone. If your password is stolen, hopefully you have enough common sense to use different passwords and not just one you share to log in everywhere

I just recently took the Certified Ethical Hacker course/exam and the exploits and methods of data theft will make your hair stand up on your neck.  There already has been much sensitive data that is compromised, so drones are the very least of any type of threat, regarding data compromise.
2019-5-24
Use props
SandyRogers
New

United States

Starfire3D Posted at 5-23 20:33
I hope the USA doesn't annoy China to much, China is much more technically advanced than the USA, and their armed forces are about 3 times bigger. Lets hope the USA isn't that stupid (considering the attitude of Mr. Trump)

I don't think the armed forces comparison is where you want to go with this. The US spends more on its military than the next 12 countries combined.
2019-5-24
Use props
SandyRogers
New

United States

Starfire3D Posted at 5-23 20:33

I don't think the armed forces comparison is where you want to go with this. The US spends more on its military than the next 12 countries combined.
2019-5-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Neo Supreme Posted at 5-23 10:50
Thanks for the response on this thread.  Most of us know that just about all electronic devices with a CPU and/or radio/internet communications collect some form of data, for use in some form of database.  Drones are becoming the current scapegoat for many security 'concerns'.  Our smartphones are way more of a security threat, but......yeah.

Thank you for the additional information Neo Supreme. Have a safe and happy flying always. Thank you for your valued support.
2019-5-24
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Neo Supreme Posted at 5-24 04:32
I just recently took the Certified Ethical Hacker course/exam and the exploits and methods of data theft will make your hair stand up on your neck.  There already has been much sensitive data that is compromised, so drones are the very least of any type of threat, regarding data compromise.

Exactly. I am a CISO for over 13 years. Its a complete disgrace how business care for our info. Happily, not much to get from my Inspire 1's or mavics
2019-5-29
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you own and use an Amazon or Google Home device, just what data are they collecting? Besides my s***ty tastes in music
2019-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules