Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
'Air sense' detection being roled out to all
1451 16 2019-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interestings news today:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48380500

2019-5-23
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wondered when something like this will come into play. Will this be an app/FW update or hardware on future drones? I wonder if having this tech in place it will lead to the legal requirement in maintaining VLOS being lifted?
2019-5-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-23 05:12
I wondered when something like this will come into play. Will this be an app/FW update or hardware on future drones? I wonder if having this tech in place it will lead to the legal requirement in maintaining VLOS being lifted?

I would think that the quadcopters will need automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) receivers fitted. So new machines needed :-)
Start saving now.

I don't think it will ever remove the need for VLOS, as there could be many other things to collide with, from pylons to people.
Already used in the Mavic Enterprise and others :-

https://www.dji.com/uk/mavic-2-enterprise?site=brandsite&from=nav
2019-5-23
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

This kind of progress I'm all for
2019-5-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 5-23 05:25
I would think that the quadcopters will need automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) receivers fitted. So new machines needed :-)
Start saving now.

Wishful thinking eh!

As for the new tech I am guessing that this will not be a legal requirement for the foreseeable future but more of a nice to have that will be fitted as standard on future releases rather than turning every consumer drone on the market into expensive, illegal paper weights. I only hope that the drones won't auto land when a plane is detected miles away and thousands of feet higher than the drone.
2019-5-23
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

Exactly the kind of thing we need!
2019-5-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes, I read about it.
2019-5-23
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Wonder if added hardware will be needed for this.
2019-5-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing this information to our valued DJI Forum members. You may refer to our video tutorial below. Thank you for your support.

2019-5-23
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 5-23 08:11
Hi, thanks for sharing this information to our valued DJI Forum members. You may refer to our video tutorial below. Thank you for your support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IpXt7FBFBU

Looks like a great development
2019-5-23
Use props
Neo Supreme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 76329 ft
United States

A J Posted at 5-23 05:29
Wishful thinking eh!

As for the new tech I am guessing that this will not be a legal requirement for the foreseeable future but more of a nice to have that will be fitted as standard on future releases rather than turning every consumer drone on the market into expensive, illegal paper weights. I only hope that the drones won't auto land when a plane is detected miles away and thousands of feet higher than the drone.

If they force people to 'retro fit' compliant systems, I will see a class action lawsuit happening.  The unfortunate thing is if that happens, most recreational flyers will just bow out, which would lessen the effectiveness of recreational flyers and sUAS pilot support.
Other than that, this Air Sense can be a win for everyone, if implemented and maintained properly.  I know that most sUAS pilots, recreational and commercial, are responsible and don't wish to generate any negative heat.
2019-5-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Neo Supreme Posted at 5-23 10:42
If they force people to 'retro fit' compliant systems, I will see a class action lawsuit happening.  The unfortunate thing is if that happens, most recreational flyers will just bow out, which would lessen the effectiveness of recreational flyers and sUAS pilot support.
Other than that, this Air Sense can be a win for everyone, if implemented and maintained properly.  I know that most sUAS pilots, recreational and commercial, are responsible and don't wish to generate any negative heat.

"If they force people to 'retro fit' compliant systems"

I don't imagine that would happen, most of the authorities are realistic enough and I would hope that if it is legislated that it would not be retrospective. If that were the case then it would stifle any competitors. I think DJI are just trying to comply as much as possible with what might be future expectations, to keep hold of their share of the market. I see it as a win win situation for all if manned aircraft are 100% compliant.
2019-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ShermanFlyer Posted at 5-23 05:27
This kind of progress I'm all for
https://youtu.be/0IpXt7FBFBU

You Know Sherman, I have attended many open meetings and many seminars , and I have always walked away with a feeling from avaition associations that they are very happy and hopeful of the future of all drone users , hobbyists professionals etc, but around there always seems to be attitude that Air Avaition bodies are against drone flying, but the opposite is the truth .
Thanks for posting the video .
2019-5-23
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

From another article on "Air Sense"

DJI stands by the fact that existing data on drone safety is inaccurate. However, they understand they need to continually focus on research, development, education, and advocacy for solutions that will improve safety. They've outlined their intentions with the following 10 points:

1. DJI will install ADS-B receivers in all new drones above 250 grams.
2. DJI will develop a new automatic warning for drone pilots flying at extended distances.
3. DJI will establish an internal Safety Standards Group to meet regulatory and customer expectations.
4. Aviation industry groups must develop standards for reporting drone incidents.
5. All drone manufacturers should install geofencing and remote identification.
6. Governments must require remote identification.
7. Governments must require a user-friendly knowledge test for new drone pilots.
8. Governments must clearly designate sensitive restriction areas.
9. Local authorities must be allowed to respond to drone threats that are clear and serious.
10. Governments must increase enforcement of laws against unsafe drone operation.

These 10 steps are DJI's proactive plan for addressing the continual growth in the drone industry. It divides responsibility between the government, remote pilots, and the company to ensure drones continue to safely integrate into airspace.

Being DJI is already there...  #5 & #6 have self-serving interest of stomping down competitors.
#9 has potential to be bad for Drone pilots with overzealous actions coupled to Local authorities own policies or their interpretation of country policies.

#7 is a slippery slope as to what defines "user-friendly knowledge test".  Pressure by Special interests, Governments following other governments, Politicians, and Burueacrats.

Personally, would like to see our FAA change flying air boundaries.  Airplanes and helicopters minium flying height of 600-feet.  Commericial delivery drones 500 to 400 feet when flying.  Recreational drones max height of 350-feet.

2019-5-23
Use props
ShermanFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 596896 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 5-23 13:16
You Know Sherman, I have attended many open meetings and many seminars , and I have always walked away with a feeling from avaition associations that they are very happy and hopeful of the future of all drone users , hobbyists professionals etc, but around there always seems to be attitude that Air Avaition bodies are against drone flying, but the opposite is the truth .
Thanks for posting the video .

Very true, I have signed up for the last few web seminars from the FAA. The latest one being today. The guy on there is very open and genuine in their approach to drone use in restricted airspace. We should be encouraged by this
2019-5-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ShermanFlyer Posted at 5-23 14:19
Very true, I have signed up for the last few web seminars from the FAA. The latest one being today. The guy on there is very open and genuine in their approach to drone use in restricted airspace. We should be encouraged by this

I’m with you on that, and I know from listening to EASA their views are similar.
2019-5-23
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And the DJI 'blog' as mentioned in the BBC report for those that may have missed it:-

https://www.dji.com/uk/newsroom/ ... new-consumer-drones
2019-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules