Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello,

I own my Mavic Air for more than a year now and since a few months I discover that after take off it sometimes makes a strange move.
Looking at the drone I see it make a turn of 15 degrees, watching the video I see a big wobble and offcourse the turn. At the point it happend I was only flying backwards (and a tad up). I have included the data and the video. Take a look at 0:47 to see what happend....
https://app.airdata.com/share/tuCUOh

Offcourse I did not make the turn myself. Someone have this experience also?

Kind regards, Maik

2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not during flight but upon take off my MA would sometimes turn 15 degrees without any input from me - I believe it had something to do with one of the FW releases last year. Recalibrate everything and ensure you are on the latest FW version and it should help.
2019-5-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks strange indeed.
I have not flown the MA, but the suggestion from AJ is what I would suggest also!
2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-24 05:03
That looks strange indeed.
I have not flown the MA, but the suggestion from AJ is what I would suggest also!

It was one of the few bugs I experienced with the MA which was quite annoying when it happened.
2019-5-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-24 05:57
It was one of the few bugs I experienced with the MA which was quite annoying when it happened.

Yeah I can imagine.
2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Recalibrating will help and I believe it was fixed with FW (though I sold my MA by then so can't confirm)
2019-5-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-24 06:02
Recalibrating will help and I believe it was fixed with FW (though I sold my MA by then so can't confirm)

I believe I did read about that too.
2019-5-24
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-24 06:08
I believe I did read about that too.

Yeah, I can't recall when but if the OP is on the latest FW version is should stop that random yaw movement I believe.
2019-5-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-24 06:11
Yeah, I can't recall when but if the OP is on the latest FW version is should stop that random yaw movement I believe.

I hope so!
2019-5-24
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

A J Posted at 5-24 06:11
Yeah, I can't recall when but if the OP is on the latest FW version is should stop that random yaw movement I believe.

Yes, it is true. I'am on the latest firmware. And I calibrated the MA before this flight. A few months ago I had some very strange movements when my IMU failed. I recalibrated it and I think it is since then I sometimes experience this kind of movements.
Maybe I should recalibrate the IMU also....
2019-5-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MaikR Posted at 5-27 01:54
Yes, it is true. I'am on the latest firmware. And I calibrated the MA before this flight. A few months ago I had some very strange movements when my IMU failed. I recalibrated it and I think it is since then I sometimes experience this kind of movements.
Maybe I should recalibrate the IMU also....

Yes, I always recalibrate the IMU after a FW update. Be sure to do it on a dead flat surface.
2019-5-27
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

A J Posted at 5-24 01:58
Not during flight but upon take off my MA would sometimes turn 15 degrees without any input from me - I believe it had something to do with one of the FW releases last year. Recalibrate everything and ensure you are on the latest FW version and it should help.

Same here.

I haven't noticed recently but mine did the same thing many times after one of the updates.

2019-5-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bluehook Posted at 5-27 18:43
Same here.

I haven't noticed recently but mine did the same thing many times after one of the updates.

Seems to be sorted now
2019-5-27
Use props
devilsBastard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254370 ft
Germany

Have had a similar problem. Just a 15 degree turn after liftoff. At least I had a flyaway just in 1.5 meter height. No control with the right stick. I could land/crash the drone in a meadow and recover it. The drone won't start again.
So far the story. Recalibrating doesn't work. There was no input by the right stick. Before I send the controller to the service, I decided to check the cable connections by myself. This can be done easily, just two screws to open and you can see the cable shoes. The right one was loose, I clicked it in and the damage was solved.
What I try to say is, it is not always a softtware based problem. This point is easy to check, maybe worth a try.

Wish you luck, success and fun.
2019-5-31
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Although it was never admitted, one of the earlier updates caused many MA's to exhibit this behavior.  Most owners either returned their bird for replacement ( I was one)  or waited until an updated FW addressed the issue.  In my experience, the MA can be a bit finicky about needing calibrating, particularly after an update.
2019-5-31
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks all, I will recalibrate IMU and Compass before my next flight en hope it will all be gone.....
2019-6-3
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

Recallibrated IMU and Compass several times, but without good result. It keeps making strange movements after take off.....
2019-7-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

MaikR Posted at 7-8 03:31
Recallibrated IMU and Compass several times, but without good result. It keeps making strange movements after take off.....

Hi MaikR,

I have flown my MA many flights, and now and then this sudden YAW move does happen.
Your yaw offset move was a slow one, i have seen more rapid ones.

Good news is that it happens just once during a flight.....  most time at the start of a flight.

I have done all the updates, calibration etc....its still there sometimes.

What to do...well i accepted it as a MA issue with no other consequenses.

Happy many landings,
cheers
JJB

2019-7-8
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
  • >>>
Netherlands

JJB* Posted at 7-8 03:39
Hi MaikR,

I have flown my MA many flights, and now and then this sudden YAW move does happen.

Haha, Yes you are right.... it just happens sometimes after take off. After that it flies without issues...

Okay, lets accept it
2019-7-8
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MaikR Posted at 7-8 23:31
Haha, Yes you are right.... it just happens sometimes after take off. After that it flies without issues...

Okay, lets accept it

Thats what I did in the end - just yaw the drone to face front and forward and TBH there were no other issues during the remainder of the flight. An odd behaviour but not it's prohibiting the flight so best to just live with it as an anomaly of the MA. Surprised it still hasn't been sorted though after all this time!
2019-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules