Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO Action too hot to handle!!! arrghh
7770 14 2019-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansea31380f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 180994 ft
Brazil

That camera gets super hot after doing some timelapse. So hot that it nearly burned my hands - and I dropped it! nice one DJI!!! Must be well over 70C. Plus no way to set exposure compensation/ISO on the camera, let alone HDR mode, when doing time-lapse.
2019-5-26
Use props
Altech
Captain
Flight distance : 808091 ft
Australia

Yes , I notice this today as I remove it from my 4X4 after test filming. but then again the Mavic pro gets hot to after each flight too
2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you and  thanks for reaching out. We will check this situation with our designated department for us to be able to give this a proper resolution. We will keep you posted as soon as we receive the feedback. Thank you for your support.
2019-5-26
Use props
CRAIGMART75
First Officer
Flight distance : 1543901 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just bought mine and tested the front display to see if the moisture spot with water appeared when it gets wet and it showed up on mine. So I am trying the remove battery and plug it in and record in 4k method to remove it. I am about 30 minutes into recording and the Camera is very warm to the touch. The rear LCD when turned on shows Overheating warning and turns the LCD off after 3 seconds. My Main concern is the metal ring around the lens. it is well over 120+ degrees .. I can only touch it for like 1 second  before it wants to burn my finger. This does not seem right...…. It gets way to hot to do any long term filming.. inside the battery compartment and the outside housing.  I want to like the Camera but this is a big Issue.
2019-6-2
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

Do remember action cameras are most often used in a place with good ventilation or air going over the unit, and often you just record like short periods at a time.
As i understand it, it is the lens ring of metal that get hot, i am not sure if dji intentionally have made this as a part of conducting heat away from the SOC and image sensor, if the did its not a bad idea, i would take this any day over a camera that do thermal shut down again and again.
Personally i have not experienced any high temperatures on my camera, but i am also the guy that have "walked" inside ovens where you harden powder coating, so 200 degrees at least, and as i firefighter & smoke diver educated guy too i have encountered much higher temperatures, but then wearing the right equipment for the job,,,, and its still damn hot.

I cant say i have heard of any thermal problems as in shut down ASO with the osmo action, so in my book thats a good thing.
2019-6-5
Use props
fansea31380f
lvl.1
China

DJI Stephen Posted at 5-26 11:01
Hello and good day. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused you and  thanks for reaching out. We will check this situation with our designated department for us to be able to give this a proper resolution. We will keep you posted as soon as we receive the feedback. Thank you for your support.

So..?! Any update?
2019-7-8
Use props
fansea31380f
lvl.1
China

peiter Posted at 6-5 02:23
Do remember action cameras are most often used in a place with good ventilation or air going over the unit, and often you just record like short periods at a time.
As i understand it, it is the lens ring of metal that get hot, i am not sure if dji intentionally have made this as a part of conducting heat away from the SOC and image sensor, if the did its not a bad idea, i would take this any day over a camera that do thermal shut down again and again.
Personally i have not experienced any high temperatures on my camera, but i am also the guy that have "walked" inside ovens where you harden powder coating, so 200 degrees at least, and as i firefighter & smoke diver educated guy too i have encountered much higher temperatures, but then wearing the right equipment for the job,,,, and its still damn hot.

I think no one is saying that camera's dont get hot, and that the heat needs to dissipate somehow. But the temperature level we are talking about are too much. DJI also hasnt said anything about the camera only being good for a max of lets say 10min or so of timelapse recording - obviously the idea of time-lapse recording is to have it run for longer periods than that.

BTW, the camera was setup with a suction cup on the outside of a window on the 20th floor, with plenty of wind that day, and temperatures of no more than 28C.
2019-7-8
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you for patiently waiting and again I am sorry for the troiuble. The DJI Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. In addition as you have mentioned that you have dropped your DJI Osmo Action and if the device is not working after the said drop, I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to help and assist you further. Thank you.
2019-7-9
Use props
fansea31380f
lvl.1
United States

DJI Stephen Posted at 7-9 10:58
Thank you for patiently waiting and again I am sorry for the troiuble. The DJI Osmo Action can shoot up to 4K, 60fps video at 100 Mbps. The amount of video file data generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is inevitable that the camera emits heat when dealing with such a large amount of data in a short time. So it is normal that the device emits heat. However, the DJI Osmo Action pays special attention to this problem. The internal heat dissipation area, such as the heat sink and the lens cover removes heat from the device to ensure the normal operation of the camera, and it is repeatedly tested that the temperature is within a reasonable range. In addition as you have mentioned that you have dropped your DJI Osmo Action and if the device is not working after the said drop, I would recommend you contact our support team to start up a ticket: https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for us to be able to help and assist you further. Thank you.

thanks for the update. Whilst I understand what you are saying here, I have to disagree that the heat temperature is within a reasonable range. If you in danger of burning your fingers thats NOT a reasonable range.

BTW, I have noticed that this extremely high temperature only happens when the screen is on. When the screen is powered off/sleep during recording the temperature is indeed within a reasonable range.

As for dropping it, I was lucky I was passing the couch, so it landed soft, no damage done. (But perhaps I should look for burn marks on the sofa)
2019-7-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

fansea31380f Posted at 7-13 04:39
thanks for the update. Whilst I understand what you are saying here, I have to disagree that the heat temperature is within a reasonable range. If you in danger of burning your fingers thats NOT a reasonable range.

BTW, I have noticed that this extremely high temperature only happens when the screen is on. When the screen is powered off/sleep during recording the temperature is indeed within a reasonable range.

Thank you for the additional information you have shared with is today. Let me please forward these information to the designated DJI department for us to be able to check the said issue. Thank you for understanding and for your support.
2019-7-13
Use props
Matman
Second Officer
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

I shot all day yesterday in 112 degrees, and add to that, inside a waterproof enclosure with no air circulation.

No heat issues,
2019-7-14
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

Yes but did you record 20 - 30 minute long videos ? i think not.

But this is a common problem, even for a camera like the Osmo Action made with a 14 nm SOC.
The problem i think the Osmo action are able to transport that heat to the outside of the camera housing faster,,,,, which in general are good as it should mean it should last longer before temperatures inside force it to do a thermal shut down.
So what can we / Dji do in this regard :
1: Make it so people can choose lower bitrates, but that can impact image quality depending on what you shoot, some things you don't really need 100 mbit.
2: Make a new camera with another SOC made on say 7 nm, but this are not given that it mean less heat generated, just look at new AMD navi GFX cards ( 7 nm ) Vs Nvidia comparative cards made on 12 nm fabrication.
The AMD GFX cards do get just as warm if not hotter, and power consumption are not smaller in spite of using 7nm Vs 12 nm
Problem is i don't think there are a SOC on 7 nm yet, and if there it it are probably a lot more expensive than what is currently used.

So yeah it suck things get so hot, but you cant just wave some magic wand and make that heat go away, if is there and it have to go somewhere.

I think as long as it don't thermal throttle / shut down in mid recording its fine, but you might need to watch your fingers or operate camera with the APP on the phone so you don't have to touch it when it is warm.
And if you know a cool running camera in this class do let people know, but just don't go gopro 7 black, cuz that sucker have problems of its own in this regard.

searching ( google ) :
gopro 7 black overheating = 267.000 hits
dji action overheating = 131.000 hits
And you will find the same issue with other lesser / older cameras too.

So don't like hot camera, record smaller clips, or use another camera,,, just don't expect miracles.
Maybe use a larger cage, maybe ALU to safeguard your fingertips.

2019-7-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansea31380f Posted at 7-13 04:39

BTW, I have noticed that this extremely high temperature only happens when the screen is on. When the screen is powered off/sleep during recording the temperature is indeed within a reasonable range.

It does specify in the manual that it may get very hot, as mentioned in post 13 it is par for the course with 4k cameras.
Action hot - Copy.png
2019-7-14
Use props
NephillimsWing
New

United States

I just shot a fifteen minute video, and when I grabbed it, the heat was so startling I dropped it on a tile floor. THANK YOU DJI> Even space shuttle tiles can be picked up when they are hot.
2021-10-14
Use props
johansenfoto
Captain
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

NephillimsWing Posted at 10-14 10:38
I just shot a fifteen minute video, and when I grabbed it, the heat was so startling I dropped it on a tile floor. THANK YOU DJI> Even space shuttle tiles can be picked up when they are hot.

Try using gopro, it is the worst on market regarding heat
2021-10-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules