Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Too Close For Comfort - Jurassic Coast, Devon, UK
588 19 2019-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Red Zeppelin
Captain
Flight distance : 18286946 ft
United Kingdom

The pictures don't tell all of the story by a long way, but hoping to upload footage later. Got a bit ambitious trying to thread my Spark through the eye of this peak along the Jurassic Coast here in Devon today.

Did a trial run, lost connection, then saw the bird returning triumphantly over the peak in RTH mode. Such a buzz, but when I got home and watched the footage back...well, I'll let you judge for yourselves later, but fair to say I was saved from being a Spark widow by mere millimeters
Hooken---Eye-Of-The-Needle-2.jpg
Hooken---Eye-Of-The-Needle-1.jpg
2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day Red Zeppelin. Thank you for posting these stunning shots you have captured and for sharing your experience in taking this shots as well. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-5-26
Use props
Red Zeppelin
Captain
United Kingdom

Just to give an idea - this was the Spark in RTH mode

2019-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ooops.
Close!
Nice captures though
2019-5-26
Use props
Red Zeppelin
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 5-26 12:46
Ooops.
Close!
Nice captures though

Thanks

Accompanying video here if you want to see the moving nightmare ;-)

2019-5-26
Use props
MccloudSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 27562 ft

United States

WOW fantastic (and lucky) shooting!  That RTH just cleared the ridge by inches!  And the hawk sitting there - stunning!
2019-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Red Zeppelin Posted at 5-26 13:15
Thanks

Love the footage, but.....
2019-5-26
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Stunning shots
2019-5-27
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks

Wow - that was close - always set the RTH altitude higher than anything in the area - good recovery though and excellent footage
2019-5-27
Use props
ChrisJG
Captain
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks

That was a close shave; the feathered bird clearly didn't feel threatened by your Spark by the looks of your film! Great shooting, well done!
2019-5-27
Use props
Eddie1215
lvl.3

United States

wow, beauftiful scenery for sure. Great job
2019-5-27
Use props
gmozo
Second Officer
United States

i had the same situation with my spark but i got closer to a hawk, btw nice photos
2019-5-27
Use props
Red Zeppelin
Captain
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-27 09:25
Wow - that was close - always set the RTH altitude higher than anything in the area - good recovery though and excellent footage

The changing of the RTH setting dependent on location hadn't really occurred to me until this incident - mainly because I've always maintained eye contact, but it's a good tip for sure and one I'll certainly use from now on.

The RTH setting was at 30m on this occasion, but I'm pretty sure this peak was higher and given that obstacle avoidance is disabled in RTH mode, I consider myself ridiculously lucky to still have it. The elation of seeing the Spark appear over the top of the peak again as it returned was insane, but when I saw the video playback I felt a bit ill
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Wow, that's really scared. Too nerves when I watching the video.
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Very lucky you are. And nice work. Thanks for sharing.
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Red Zeppelin Posted at 5-28 01:13
The changing of the RTH setting dependent on location hadn't really occurred to me until this incident - mainly because I've always maintained eye contact, but it's a good tip for sure and one I'll certainly use from now on.

The RTH setting was at 30m on this occasion, but I'm pretty sure this peak was higher and given that obstacle avoidance is disabled in RTH mode, I consider myself ridiculously lucky to still have it. The elation of seeing the Spark appear over the top of the peak again as it returned was insane, but when I saw the video playback I felt a bit ill

Hahahaha - it was close but all is well that ends well. I always set my RTH to 55m even in wide open areas as the drone should always be more than 50m away from people/buildings not in your control should you RTH over the odd dog walker etc. It's always good to have that extra clearance for the unexpected, especially when flying in areas you are not familiar with. Don't set it too high or you'll burn too much battery just getting it up to that point which won't be good for low battery RTH
2019-5-28
Use props
Red Zeppelin
Captain
United Kingdom

A J Posted at 5-28 01:53
Hahahaha - it was close but all is well that ends well. I always set my RTH to 55m even in wide open areas as the drone should always be more than 50m away from people/buildings not in your control should you RTH over the odd dog walker etc. It's always good to have that extra clearance for the unexpected, especially when flying in areas you are not familiar with. Don't set it too high or you'll burn too much battery just getting it up to that point which won't be good for low battery RTH

Great advice - thanks for taking the time to share it. Still very much learning, but enjoying the process barring the odd heart in mouth moment
2019-5-28
Use props
A J
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Red Zeppelin Posted at 5-28 02:58
Great advice - thanks for taking the time to share it. Still very much learning, but enjoying the process barring the odd heart in mouth moment

Lots to learn and it never stops but that's all part of it! Keep up the excellent work.
2019-5-28
Use props
Eddie1215
lvl.3

United States

Thanks

wow, you were not kidding close call!!! beautiful scenery
2019-5-28
Use props
Bender1031
Second Officer
Flight distance : 209938 ft
United States

Wow!  That's awesome!  Thanks for sharing
2019-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now