Ronin S - Wobbles / Mini Jitters when on underslung?
4384 22 2019-5-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

So.. I've been searching around on google on how to fix this wobble or jitter problems but still no luck. Anyways, my balance are excellent, all three excellent. Even tried the "put the battery on the tripod then balance test" thing but still no luck. Also tried using lens support but when I go to underslung mode things is just going wobbly.

I've been a glidecam user for years before switching to Ronin S thinking that it will make my job easier. So I'm pretty sure that I know how to do the "ninja walk" thing when operating the Ronin S.

I'm using Sony A6500 and 18-105.
And I'm running on the latest firmware update on Ronin S.

Footage Link:
https://youtu.be/4d_my6FqZmE

2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

PS:
Specially when I'm doing 35m + focal lengths YOU CAN REALLY FEEL THE JITTER/WOBBLE ALOT. [specially when underslung].
PS:
I just want to use my 35mm prime.
2019-5-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Is your IS on in camera?
2019-5-26
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Montfrooij Posted at 5-26 23:26
Is your IS on in camera?

If you're talking about the IBIS [In Body Image Stabilization] then yes it is turn on that footage.
But I've already tried turning it on and off but still no luck.
2019-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Calam Posted at 5-27 01:28
If you're talking about the IBIS  then yes it is turn on that footage.
But I've already tried turning it on and off but still no luck.

Yes, that was the one I referred to.
And that was my only option, since I can't find other ways to compensate for that movement.
I'm not sure if it is the Ronin, or your body that is the issue, since you seem to be able to do ok holding the Ronin in the normal position.
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 02:03
Yes, that was the one I referred to.
And that was my only option, since I can't find other ways to compensate for that movement.
I'm not sure if it is the Ronin, or your body that is the issue, since you seem to be able to do ok holding the Ronin in the normal position.

I don't know either what is happening. That is why on most cases I try not to do the underslung mode instead I just do the flashlight mode and do the low mode with it [which is MORE SMOOTHER than the underslung] but now? when I do the underslung mode.. it just vibrates like hell.
2019-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Calam Posted at 5-27 02:12
I don't know either what is happening. That is why on most cases I try not to do the underslung mode instead I just do the flashlight mode and do the low mode with it [which is MORE SMOOTHER than the underslung] but now? when I do the underslung mode.. it just vibrates like hell.

That is weird indeed.
Now I don't own the Ronin, so can't try it myself.
But the Osmo Mobile is a bit less steady in underslung mode. Maybe because the motor is on the 'other' side.
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 02:43
That is weird indeed.
Now I don't own the Ronin, so can't try it myself.
But the Osmo Mobile is a bit less steady in underslung mode. Maybe because the motor is on the 'other' side.

Maybe.. some of my co-workers told me that the proper way to use a motorized gimbal is by doing it upside down.. meh.. not on Ronin S I guess. [they are using zhiyun btw]
2019-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Calam Posted at 5-27 02:56
Maybe.. some of my co-workers told me that the proper way to use a motorized gimbal is by doing it upside down.. meh.. not on Ronin S I guess. [they are using zhiyun btw]

Yeah, you see everybody like that.
Hope some moderators jump in with a suggestion. (other than : we will put your question to the appropriate team)
PS, have you contacted support already?
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 03:09
Yeah, you see everybody like that.
Hope some moderators jump in with a suggestion. (other than : we will put your question to the appropriate team)
PS, have you contacted support already?

I haven't tried contacting the support already and I'm pretty sure there is no available support on the Philippines unless I did the online support thing which is I don't really know.
2019-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Calam Posted at 5-27 03:35
I haven't tried contacting the support already and I'm pretty sure there is no available support on the Philippines unless I did the online support thing which is I don't really know.

I mean online support indeed.
You can find it on the DJI site.
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Montfrooij Posted at 5-27 04:26
I mean online support indeed.
You can find it on the DJI site.

This is my current setup btw. I've been thinking? does the height of the plate affects the performance or not? btw all the pan/tilt/yaw thing is on excellent still while using this kind of setup.

I put a third party quick release plate on the top of the riser. (for easy remove)
received_2330716973921233.jpeg
2019-5-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I'm not sure about that.
Actually I only have a Osmo Mobile (that is rather easy to balance)
2019-5-27
Use props
Tima_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1110312 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Same issue((
2019-5-27
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Tima_007 Posted at 5-27 11:04
Same issue((

Meh. Let's hope the admins of the DJI answers this bug or problem.

As of now the only remedy I am doing is just to use the flashlight mode when I want to replicate the underslung mode footages. (well because it kinda gets low)
2019-5-28
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

Man, sorry if I sound like the boring guy but to me it looks like its because your walk together with the Ronin S settings. Looks like its responding quicker for quicker turnarounds/movements so your micro slides are being transfered. I think you should use settings for a more forgiving stabilization. I had a guy who work with me thinking that becasuse he was using the Ronin S, then he could do anything and the gimbal would just make it perfect. His footage was shaking all over when we got to edit it. He was used to use a glidecam too. I said to him that no gear will do the things to you, its only a tool to help you. You have to operate it properly. He is getting better but its kind of getting to know how it works and learn about it.
2019-5-29
Use props
DJI Maveric
New

United States

Yes mine too wtf
2019-5-29
Use props
Ulysses
lvl.4
Flight distance : 573310 ft
Brazil

Recently I read a DJI adm post telling to raise the stiffness manually right before the motors start making noise. I did an Autotune with the High profile and it tuned to a higher stiffness and it helped a lot. Did you try that? Care to reply with a feedback?
2019-6-3
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Ulysses Posted at 5-29 03:37
Man, sorry if I sound like the boring guy but to me it looks like its because your walk together with the Ronin S settings. Looks like its responding quicker for quicker turnarounds/movements so your micro slides are being transfered. I think you should use settings for a more forgiving stabilization. I had a guy who work with me thinking that becasuse he was using the Ronin S, then he could do anything and the gimbal would just make it perfect. His footage was shaking all over when we got to edit it. He was used to use a glidecam too. I said to him that no gear will do the things to you, its only a tool to help you. You have to operate it properly. He is getting better but its kind of getting to know how it works and learn about it.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing it the right thing. About the settings I tried copying one settings on this forum but meh it doesn't help. I just don't know why the motor is like flicking on me when I enter the underslung mode. But when on a normal mode everything is buttery smooth.

2019-6-3
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Ulysses Posted at 6-3 04:37
Recently I read a DJI adm post telling to raise the stiffness manually right before the motors start making noise. I did an Autotune with the High profile and it tuned to a higher stiffness and it helped a lot. Did you try that? Care to reply with a feedback?

I figured about the vibration thing now. I just removed the riser on the quick release plate and put my third party quick release plate on it.

My only issue is now when I enter the underslung mode it's so wobbly.
2019-6-3
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

DJI Maveric Posted at 5-29 09:00
Yes mine too wtf

Any idea on how to fix this? What lens are you using tho?
2019-6-3
Use props
DJI Calam
lvl.1

Philippines

Anyone.. knows how to fix this issue..
because as of now I am just using the flashlight mode instead of Underslung Mode.
2019-6-7
Use props
Tauriq
New
South Africa

Dude, same problem! Did you ever manage to resolve this?
2020-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules