Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 RTK Camera Controls and manual mapping
4200 13 2019-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
VirtualGeol
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6770951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi, We have succesfully been using Phantoms for creating photogrametric model of cliffs (geological outcrops) for the last 4 years.
We just bought a P4 RTK to improve accuracy
We are very surprised to see that the system does not seem to have a timelapse mode for the camera which is essential to our  mapping workflow. The system seems to rely soley on using the flight planning which may work ok if you are mapping a flat field or construction site but when you are mapping a complex terrain which requires a lot of oblique imagary manual flying is essential. We are very disappointed to see the system does not supporty manual mapping at all.
A quick look through the forums seems to suggest others have struggled with camaera controls, if not the lack of timelapse (interval mode)
But if anyone has any suggestions how to get around this problem, I would be very happy to hear them, otherwise I am tempted to return the system as it cost the best part of £10k and is not fit for purpose. I would also strongly caution other people who want to may manually complex terrains to stick with the original P4 Pro
Cheers
John   
2019-5-28
Use props
VirtualGeol
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry - poor english, was editing post and submitted accidentally and now it won't let me change...
2019-5-28
Use props
LYVFD8142
Second Officer

United States

Have you flashed the latest firmware and checked out the terrain mission option?
2019-5-28
Use props
VirtualGeol
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

We have updated all drivers and firmware. I am not sure what the terrain mission option is? We had a look at the 3D Photogrammetry option but it is not suitable. Is there something else we are missing?
2019-5-28
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe @LYVFD8142 was referring to terrain following, which was added in the most recent firmware... But I don't think that will help much for your needs, as it sounds as if you are wanting timed interval triggering of your camera rather than automatic based on desired overlap.
I guess the hope is that future versions of GS RTK, DJI Terra, and potentially 3rd party apps will incorporate some of the features and functionality that are missing from GS RTK.
2019-5-28
Use props
LYVFD8142
Second Officer

United States

Litchi just release a Smart Controller Release on 5/24/19. I don't know if it can be side loaded on the RTK controller. They give step by step instructions on how to do it.
2019-5-28
Use props
VirtualGeol
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

patiam Posted at 5-28 09:00
I believe @LYVFD8142 was referring to terrain following, which was added in the most recent firmware... But I don't think that will help much for your needs, as it sounds as if you are wanting timed interval triggering of your camera rather than automatic based on desired overlap.
I guess the hope is that future versions of GS RTK, DJI Terra, and potentially 3rd party apps will incorporate some of the features and functionality that are missing from GS RTK.

The terrain mapping doesn’t really help us, we need time lapse (interval shooting). The frustrating aspect is that this exists on the standard P4 they have actually removed it from the RTK version. Makes no sense. I quite like the DJI Go app but it seems like we need to start looking at 3rd party software :-(
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI4Survey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6484478 ft
Australia

Hey VirtualGeo,

The only solution that we have found is using the desktop software that DJI supply called DJI terra.  You can do waypoint mission planning in this software that allows you to do interval shooting between waypoints (either by distance or timed) and load actions (eg.  Gimbal angle, Aircraft heading). I think this is what you are getting at if you are looking at mapping cliffs etc.  

There are currently two license models, however, you will need to purchase the software and it isn't exactly cheap.

With that said the functionality seems to be slowly being introduced to the GSRTK app.  So I am hopeful this will come across shortly too.

2019-5-28
Use props
patiam
Captain
Flight distance : 1093865 ft
  • >>>
United States

VirtualGeol Posted at 5-28 15:53
The terrain mapping doesn’t really help us, we need time lapse (interval shooting). The frustrating aspect is that this exists on the standard P4 they have actually removed it from the RTK version. Makes no sense. I quite like the DJI Go app but it seems like we need to start looking at 3rd party software :-(

Agreed, GS RTK, while adding functionality that was crucial to RTK ops, was a step backwards in terms of functionality that already existed in other DJI & 3rd party apps.
Another example of DJI development's silo'ed nature and lack of understanding as to what professional users actually need in the software/firmware that these platforms depend upon.
Kind of like waiting months after a new aircraft comes on the market for the SDK to be released so that 3rd party apps can be written to support it.... The right way to do it is to pre-release the SDK, not the other way around...
I know, I know... Preaching to the choir and venting here won't make any difference. Just trying to say that many of us share your pain.
2019-5-28
Use props
Whisky Tango Foxtrot
Flight distance : 3022789 ft
  • >>>
Australia

@patiam @virtualGeol I am having the same issue. I just bought the P4-RTK and will be predominantly completing inspections or creating 3D models of structures. To do this i need the 2 sec interval photo feature. I have looked at both DJI Pilot and GSpro although the lowest interval they can offer is 3 sec. This adds a lot of additional time out in the field and makes me wish i hadn't bought this expensive equipment. I'd be better off modding an original Phantom 4 with PPK or RTK capabilities. I don't understand why they would limit the enterprise apps so heavily.

So basically my question is; Has anyone found a way to enable 2 sec interval photo on P4-RTK during manual flight while having RTK functionality? Maybe 3rd party apps but nothing that i can see.
2020-7-1
Use props
CoastalCapt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192343 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey WTF, I am working on this now with the P4RTK using the GL300N (built in screen) controller.  I got DJI Pilot v1.7.2 to connect to the P4R (v2.3.1.5 wouldn't connect) but I cannot get it to allow me to even set it to interval mode.  It sound like you were able to get that enabled and at least use the 3 sec interval.  Any idea how you got it to do that or which version of Pilot you used/are using?
2021-5-16
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Hi,

Have you tried UGCS ?

Jordane
2021-5-16
Use props
CoastalCapt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 192343 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have not, will UGCS allow manual flight and control over the camera parameters?
2021-5-17
Use props
LV_Forestry
Captain
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

it is a very complex software, the best is to try. There is a free trial period. This trial period can be extended by changing your email address ;)
2021-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules