Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery life of Osmo Action?
14623 6 2019-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mnp75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 443737 ft
Finland

How’s everyone finding their battery life on Osmo Action? The documentation says around hour for 4K/60 so I was a bit shocked to only clock in about 30mins of video on very first test with my brand new unit before the battery died out. I shot 4k, 2.7k & 1080p in 60fps, 25fps & 240fps (testing out image quality with different settings).

I did also connect to Osmo from my iPhone on several occasions to review footage, but probably not more than for 5-10 mins connection time altogether. Could that explain the relatively huge difference in what is stated and what I got out? Is the wifi operation really THAT battery-consuming?

2019-5-28
Use props
mnp75
lvl.1
Finland

Oh, and also shot a quick time lapse video with 3-5mins of shooting time.
2019-5-28
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Please take note that: A fully charged battery can support video recording at 1080P/30fps for up to 135 minutes (with RockSteady turned off and screen sleep enabled after 1 min) and 4K/60fps for up to 63 minutes (with RockSteady turned on and screen sleep enabled after 1 min). Should you have any concerns please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a good one!
2019-5-28
Use props
mnp75
lvl.1
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-28 15:35
Hi, there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. Please take note that: A fully charged battery can support video recording at 1080P/30fps for up to 135 minutes (with RockSteady turned off and screen sleep enabled after 1 min) and 4K/60fps for up to 63 minutes (with RockSteady turned on and screen sleep enabled after 1 min). Should you have any concerns please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a good one!

Well yes, I do have a concern: battery life seems to be only about the half of what is stated in the specs, like I wrote in the opening message.

Was just wondering if this is a common specs vs. reality thing or not…

2019-5-28
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
Captain

United Kingdom

mnp75 Posted at 5-28 21:40
Well yes, I do have a concern: battery life seems to be only about the half of what is stated in the specs, like I wrote in the opening message.

It is quite common to have to cycle a battery through a few charges before you can charge to maximum capacity. Wait until you have charged/discharged at least four to six times before you make any judgments.
2019-5-29
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mnp75 Posted at 5-28 21:40
Well yes, I do have a concern: battery life seems to be only about the half of what is stated in the specs, like I wrote in the opening message.

I had my first real world test last night with my Osmo Action recording in 4k @ 30fps with rock steady and dewarp switched on. My 64GB micro SD card filled up after about 84 minutes, the camera had then powered down. When I got home battery suggested it had about 5% remaining. So that would be close to  90 minutes or so for those settings.
Next time out I might try 4k @ 60fps or 1080P @ 30 with RS and dewarp.
2019-6-28
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And another real life cycle test, I achieved 104 minutes and 34 seconds at 1080P 30fps Rock Steady and Dewarp On, also 51 seconds of HDR on one fully charged battery. DJI quote 135 minutes in 1080P 30fps with Rock Steady Off.
So having RS on reduces battery life by about 25% when using 1080P @30fps.
2019-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules