GEO Zones
734 11 2019-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans036fe050
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1470968 ft
United States

Can someone from DJI's staff please tell me or explane to me the effects of the GEO Zones on my ability to fly.  Not that I want to or would fly I restricted air space. Now that the FAA has restricted Hobbies from fling in most if no all airport air space will DJI'S GEO Zones restrict takeoff? Personally I hope so it might keep me out of trouble.

2019-5-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I think they are usually referred to as geo zones.  Some call them no fly zones but that's not a good name for them.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Note that the zones don't necessarily correctly align with FAA's zones.  

Note that the zones change depending on what you're flying.  

Note that I'm not DJI staff.

Good luck

2019-5-30
Use props
fans036fe050
lvl.3
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 5-30 02:10
I think they are usually referred to as geo zones.  Some call them no fly zones but that's not a good name for them.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

I left out the E I guess I am just Old and forgetful. Thank you for correcting me.

Thanks for the map I have used it a number of times in the past and it's always helpful. DJI always dose a great job.

Are you totally sure they don't correctly align with the FAA?  I bet they do. Along with other govermental agenicies.

If they change by type of drone, that makes no sense at all . What difference would the type of drone being flown make If the air space is restricted or authorization required?

I see that you are not a staff member. But thank you for your answer away.

2019-5-30
Use props
Nick M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 600574 ft
United States

Staff might take a minute to respond.  They are working on solutions for the P4P platform.  I recently updated my Geo Map and could not fly my P4P+ because of an "Enhanced Zone" restriction.  This turned out to be for a turf, private airport, which is not active, and obviously not in restricted airspace.  I emailed flysafe@dji.com and they replied quickly with the steps on how to unlock it, for a period of up to a year.  I did that.  However, I have yet to receive a reply.  I hope staff members are busy on that too....
2019-5-30
Use props
fans036fe050
lvl.3
United States

Nick M Posted at 5-30 07:21
Staff might take a minute to respond.  They are working on solutions for the P4P platform.  I recently updated my Geo Map and could not fly my P4P+ because of an "Enhanced Zone" restriction.  This turned out to be for a turf, private airport, which is not active, and obviously not in restricted airspace.  I emailed flysafe@dji.com and they replied quickly with the steps on how to unlock it, for a period of up to a year.  I did that.  However, I have yet to receive a reply.  I hope staff members are busy on that too....

Your are so right they have far more important things to be doing than answering dumb questions like i asked.

Thank you.

PS: I like your photo, Oops photograph.
2019-5-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

fans036fe050 Posted at 5-30 05:22
I left out the E I guess I am just Old and forgetful. Thank you for correcting me.

Thanks for the map I have used it a number of times in the past and it's always helpful. DJI always dose a great job.

I said they don't necessarily align correctly.  Some are perfect, some are less than perfect.  

The zones change depending on the AC due to some ACs being older generation.  The geo maps are an ever-evolving entity.  The various models of DJI aircrafts are eventually no longer supported and so are stuck with whatever existed at that time.   
2019-5-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for your query to us. The DJI's Geospatial Environment Online (GEO)is a best-in-class geospatial information system providing DJI users with up-to-date guidance on areas where flight may be limited due to safety concerns or regulations. It combines the latest airspace information, a warning and flight-restriction system, a self-authorizing unlocking mechanism for specific locations, and a minimally-invasive accountability system for those decisions. Also, I will highly recommend you to check first our geo zone map in our website to see if the specific location you wish to fly is restricted, You may refer to the link below about the Geo map. For further details, you may email our fly safe department at flysafe@dji. Hope this will clarify your query to us. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Happy flying always!
2019-5-30
Use props
fans036fe050
lvl.3
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-30 11:50
Hi, there. Thank you for your query to us. The DJI's Geospatial Environment Online (GEO)is a best-in-class geospatial information system providing DJI users with up-to-date guidance on areas where flight may be limited due to safety concerns or regulations. It combines the latest airspace information, a warning and flight-restriction system, a self-authorizing unlocking mechanism for specific locations, and a minimally-invasive accountability system for those decisions. Also, I will highly recommend you to check first our geo zone map in our website to see if the specific location you wish to fly is restricted, You may refer to the link below about the Geo map. For further details, you may email our fly safe department at flysafe@dji. Hope this will clarify your query to us. Thank you for your kind and understanding. Happy flying always!

Thank you for responding,
As stated above DJI always does a great job. Your explanation is what I was looking for and I have used the GEO map and will contiue to do so. From what I have read on other forums DJI sometimes does not respond when users have been blocked from flying due to the GEO Fencing in what is currently resticted air space such as airports and some say you do. I was sure DJI would respond and thats the purpose of the question.
2019-5-30
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans036fe050 Posted at 5-30 12:33
Thank you for responding,
As stated above DJI always does a great job. Your explanation is what I was looking for and I have used the GEO map and will contiue to do so. From what I have read on other forums DJI sometimes does not respond when users have been blocked from flying due to the GEO Fencing in what is currently resticted air space such as airports and some say you do. I was sure DJI would resond and thats the purpose of the question.

You are very much welcome sir! Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any other concerns and we are happy to help. Have a safe and happy flying always. Cheers!
2019-5-30
Use props
fans036fe050
lvl.3
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 5-30 11:35
I said they don't necessarily align correctly.  Some are perfect, some are less than perfect.  

The zones change depending on the AC due to some ACs being older generation.  The geo maps are an ever-evolving entity.  The various models of DJI aircrafts are eventually no longer supported and so are stuck with whatever existed at that time.

Ok older drones but isn't this the Phantom 4 forum.  They are out of production but still supported. Aso aren't the maps available online?
2019-5-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

Yes sir, the maps are available online.  I provided a link above to the geo maps online.  It's a link showing the geo maps online.  Maybe you didn't see it?  

Your post appeared in the general Phantom forum.  

I will provide the link for you again.  It is below.

Geo map link ------------------------> https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map < --------------------- geo map link

Did you see the link?  It is above.  And it is online.  

Hope this helps

2019-5-30
Use props
fans036fe050
lvl.3
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 5-30 17:39
Yes sir, the maps are available online.  I provided a link above to the geo maps online.  It's a link showing the geo maps online.  Maybe you didn't see it?  

Your post appeared in the general Phantom forum.  

Thank you for the link. I already had it, but I usually use the link on the DJI GO 4 App .If you haven't used that one might give it a try. It's a great tool.     
2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules