Will Prop Guard help with bird strike?
2422 6 2019-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Starfire3D
lvl.2
New Zealand

Is there a product that will totally cover the props? Where I fly at has a lot of nasty territorial birds (Mostly Seagulls and smaller) that seem to attack the drone when it gets to a certain height (usually about 50 feet up). Luckilly the last bird strike did not break props, but I think that was luck. How can I keep our feather friends from wrecking my Zoom?  

2019-5-30
Use props
Starfire3D
lvl.2
New Zealand

Guess no one knows anything about this?
2019-5-31
Use props
GhostintheSky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207936 ft
United States

I have never seen any that would totally cover the props.  Are you currently using the prop guards that DJI sells now for the mavic 2? Seagulls are aggressive territorial birds, no doubt!
2019-6-22
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Because the birds strike from above, normal prop guards will be ineffective. They will also make the drone more susceptible to wind drift and less agile. I also have experienced the same bird attacks and don't go near them.
We drone users are the intruders not the birds.
2019-6-27
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. Having a prop guard with your aircraft would protect your drone from the attack of the bird, however, continuous attack from birds might cause fallen drone. Thank you for your support.
2019-6-27
Use props
Fancyfoam
New

United States

Not really. The birds I have had issues tend to come in from the top as that is the vulnerable part of a bird. Unfortunately that is where out props are.
2019-6-28
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Try to "scare them away" by maneuvering / ascending in sport, during they try to attack.  Other birds (some eagles, p.ex.) appear to become careful, in case the supposed target under them moves heavier, as they expect it, and in the end stays on top of them. At least it is worth a try, since it reads that you wanna keep flying there
edit:
And in case your drone is white: Change the color to some red, green, yellow for a try!
2019-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules