Tablet/Controller Advice
755 0 2019-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AirWolfe
lvl.1

United States

Hi Everyone!

I just got Part 107 Certified and am getting ready to purchase the Mavic 2 Pro.  My question(s) for those of you who have an opinion is should I get the Smart Controller or use something like the iPad Mini 5 or iPad Pro with the new A12 system.  I love the idea of carrying around the all-in-one Smart Controller BUT....the idea of not being able to remove the battery should it die is a huge negative to me along with being limited by a small screen.   I live in the PNW and we get everything from snow to 100 degree days in the summer.   I like the idea of the iPad as I can pick my screen size and Apple seems pretty fast at updating apps and should keep up with DJI GO 4 & Litchi etc.  Also, an iPad can work double duty and not just be a "controller".   Downside to the iPad is it will require me to carry more stuff (mounting brackets, cords etc.) along with it not being as bright in direct sunlight (although I've heard rumor the new Mini 5 has less glare).   I've watched every YouTube video (albeit there are not many at all) and I'm still a bit torn but leaning towards the iPad & LifThor mount.  I'm not against Android Tablets but I don't know anything about them so if you have a newer one that you are loving I'd love to know more...  Also, for better context I will be using my drone for commercial work and an iPad that can hold a 10 hour charge sounds like a better option vs. the smart controller which many are saying they get a 4 hour battery life and it takes 2 hours to recharge since you can't do a battery swap.  And my final question.... If I go the iPad route I would need to make sure I have the wifi + cellular version to use follow me and waypoints is that correct?  Thanks for your opinions & advice. Happy Flying!

2019-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules