Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Color grade testing: looking for critique and help
1662 8 2019-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cgbrian.com
lvl.4
United States

2019-5-30
Use props
cgbrian.com
lvl.4
United States

Ok 2 questions.. maybe 2.5

is the clip on the left just too over saturated? Or do you prefer it over the clips on the right?

These were recorded in the standard automatic (non pro configuration) is there a cinelike now within pro? does that shoot more flat to make color correcting more accurate? would I have benefited using that instead of what I had on the right to start with? (ok this was kinda multipart lol)
2019-5-30
Use props
Tide
Captain
South Korea

Hey Brian,
I am no expert in color grading myself but color grading is more like depend on your preference and the narretive you want to express.
From your sample, Cinespace 50 makes it looks more nostalgic and less video like (more film like?). So if you intend to use it in thinking back scequence or for anticipation to what comes next, it might work nicely. I like how it looks.

However looking at the detail, this LUT increases contrast and lose some detail. Especially the highlight detail in warter splash is less visible in Cinespace 50.
Cinespace 50, I guess it is intended to use on flat profile footage, on standard mode footage with Rec.709 color space will make those details less visible.

As you mentioned, using Cinelike D will give you a little better result if you are interested in these details.
It is not completely flat as other flat picture profiles but I find it do work better if you intend to use LUT.
And yes Cinelike D is in pro mode.

Some of my shot that I intentionally used heavy color grading to make it less 'live' like.
Shot on Cinelike D and manual color grading.

Some other case that I shot on Cinelike D and lightly color grade to just pop the color a little.

2019-5-30
Use props
*DM*
First Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Tricky and as has been mentioned above... much a thing of personal preference.

Personally I have seen far too many of these 'cinematic' colour graded clips.

If I shoot a cinema movie, perhaps even a TV ad with some story context, fair enough. The warm and somewhat softer cinematic rendering could make sense if the scene, era or story line warrant the grading.

However, I wished many simple landscape clips use a more 'realistic' render with true to life colours and sharpness/contrast.

My 2ct's.
2019-5-31
Use props
Curt1591
Captain
Thailand

I think the contrast is a bit too strong on the color graded clip.
2019-5-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I personally prefer left.
2019-5-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great comparison
2019-5-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for sharing the video to us. Hope that you could get the best recommendation and suggestions from our fellow DJI members here. Thank you for your continued support.
2019-5-31
Use props
The General
lvl.3
Flight distance : 13609 ft
Cambodia

I like the 'color-graded' stuff, but imho for the footage in the first post, I thought the color-graded on the left looked best for the first clip, but for all the remaining clips, the natural OP coloring looked best.

Also, I think they both looked so similar that it might hardly be worth the effort to color grade it, as they seem almost identical to me (almost, but not that I can't see a difference).
2019-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules