Playing native HLG M2P files on 8K OLED, astonishing!
123Next >
11055 97 2019-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Toedles Posted at 6-14 09:58
Wow, I really enjoyed this, thank you for sharing. Might have enjoyed that music a bit way too much too......

Yes I subscribe to Artlist.io for about $200 a year (I think?!) which gives me unlimited use of all their music. I find them absolutely classy, the best, and use it on all my videos. You'll find a few more examples on my Vimeo channel: https://vimeo.com/alicespringsfilmtv
2019-6-14
Use props
Toedles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7676339 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

christangey Posted at 6-14 14:53
Yes I subscribe to Artlist.io for about $200 a year (I think?!) which gives me unlimited use of all their music. I find them absolutely classy, the best, and use it on all my videos. You'll find a few more examples on my Vimeo channel: https://vimeo.com/alicespringsfilmtv

Thanks for that Chris......
2019-6-14
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Toedles Posted at 6-14 19:16
Thanks for that Chris......

No worries Toedles
2019-6-14
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

You are pro - great footage but have nothing to do with 8K TV Mavic (even pro) is a great tool and in hands of a gifted person can do miracles but in 4K ;)
2019-6-14
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Alex but I wasn't claiming the pictures were in 8K, just that the one I happened to plug it into was 8K. That is not to say that it doesn't look somehow better, as anyone who has played 1080 vision on a 4K
will vouch for. But of course most of the "wow" factor was the combination of HDR (HLG) and the OLED screen not the actual resolution.
2019-6-14
Use props
Tollytastic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30932 ft
France

Wow, I thought I was watching a trailer for a feature film or something from the BBC it only lacked the dulcet tones of David Attenborough over the top. Just stunning, who could believe that that imagery could come from a little drone!
I also found your explanation of encoders very interesting so now I know why yesterday I couldn’t play a file from the Mavic via USB on my TV (only shot my first video yesterday).
You certainly live in an awesome place for cinematography (the whole family watched the firenado video) but I couldn’t get over the smoothness of the film – awesome -- well done

Tolly
2019-6-14
Use props
mpetr1960
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4119173 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Nice footage!
2019-6-15
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Tollytastic Posted at 6-14 23:40
Wow, I thought I was watching a trailer for a feature film or something from the BBC it only lacked the dulcet tones of David Attenborough over the top. Just stunning, who could believe that that imagery could come from a little drone!
I also found your explanation of encoders very interesting so now I know why yesterday I couldn’t play a file from the Mavic via USB on my TV (only shot my first video yesterday).
You certainly live in an awesome place for cinematography (the whole family watched the firenado video) but I couldn’t get over the smoothness of the film – awesome -- well done

Thanks Tolly, well I do shoot for BBC and others so I might still be in a job! Yes the fire tornado was something else again. Still can't believe I had a TV camera with me on a tripod in the middle of nowhere. If only I had a drone back in 2012!
2019-6-15
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Singapore

Outstanding videos
2019-6-15
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Dronie
2019-6-15
Use props
Dronie1981
lvl.4

Singapore

You're welcome
2019-6-15
Use props
nilsonleow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136680 ft
Ukraine

Very cool footage! I imagine how it looks on 77" screen...
2019-6-15
Use props
Roy Rogers
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1186296 ft
United States

Astonishing , outstanding ,  spectacular my drone can’t make videos like this it might as well be a coffee mug
2019-6-15
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Great work anyway !!
2019-6-15
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Looks great!
2019-6-15
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Roy Rogers Posted at 6-15 07:34
Astonishing , outstanding ,  spectacular my drone can’t make videos like this it might as well be a coffee mug

If it's an M2P with ND filters it certainly can!
2019-6-15
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

RotorLogic Posted at 6-17 14:33
Looks fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

No problems Rotor!
2019-6-17
Use props
DJI Panda
Administrator
Flight distance : 405039 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

christangey Posted at 6-14 04:01
Thanks Panda, yes sometimes I make variations to improve the video

You are welcome. Nicely done, every time I watch these works, I enjoy them.
2019-6-18
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Panda Posted at 6-18 02:41
You are welcome. Nicely done, every time I watch these works, I enjoy them.

Thanks Panda, well next time you want to test a new drone model you know where to send it, that's if you don't mind it disappearing into a jungle or over a cliff into the sea!
2019-6-18
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Captain Nebuchadnezzar, some of my flights have been nearly as long as your forum name!
2019-6-21
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

thank you ro flyer
2019-6-21
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

You're welcome!!!
2019-6-22
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

christangey Posted at 6-14 04:01
Thanks Panda, yes sometimes I make variations to improve the video

You're welcome!
2019-6-22
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Gamora, I didn't know you were the same as Panda?
2019-6-22
Use props
djiuser_brHauaErZMeW
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40748 ft
Cameroon

Admirable
2019-6-22
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks DJIuser
2019-6-23
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Awesome! Looks nice
2019-6-23
Use props
David 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17910 ft
Canada

Fabulous! On all my screens this is the best I’ve seen.
Inspirational.
2019-6-23
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks once again Jacksonnai
2019-6-23
Use props
GhostintheSky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 207936 ft
United States

Really good footage.
2019-6-23
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

David 2 Posted at 6-23 04:50
Fabulous! On all my screens this is the best I’ve seen.
Inspirational.

Thanks David and you can't even see HLG's full potential by any means from these clips!
2019-6-23
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks to you Ghost
2019-6-24
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

christangey Posted at 6-23 05:41
Thanks once again Jacksonnai

No problem buddy!
2019-6-25
Use props
Katty White
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Well done,Wonderful video
2019-6-26
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks Katty, Just learned I've been short-listed for the World Drone Awards in Siena Italy in October for this one, so quite exciting!
2019-6-26
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

UPDATE July 16: Just received a Judges commendation in the video category in the 2019 Drone Awards for the above M2P film "An ancient land". Congratulations to fellow winners and finalists out of 4500 entries from 107 countries this year.
2019-7-16
Use props
Lysdexia Eht
New
Australia

Amazing work, and congratulations on the commendation, well deserved.

I'm new to the world of HDR video, and to be honest I don't have desires for commercial work, I only want to capture the best footage for home video purposes. I do have an LG OLED TV for playback, so I was wondering, in order to avoid going down the rabbit hole of post production colour grading and the likes, is it better to shoot in HLG with minimal post production editing?
2019-8-7
Use props
Maxipro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1760791 ft
Russia

Great video! Do you think the transmission speed of 40,000 kbps is not too low?
2019-8-8
Use props
christangey
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Lysdexia Eht Posted at 8-7 14:57
Amazing work, and congratulations on the commendation, well deserved.

I'm new to the world of HDR video, and to be honest I don't have desires for commercial work, I only want to capture the best footage for home video purposes. I do have an LG OLED TV for playback, so I was wondering, in order to avoid going down the rabbit hole of post production colour grading and the likes, is it better to shoot in HLG with minimal post production editing?

Yes, if you mean you will just be playing back on the native files, either via SD card, USB stick or USB3 hard drive. But you will need filters if you don't want that juddery look that comes with a high shutter speed. If you are in Australia shooting 4K at 25P then to get a nice looking movement you should be aiming to be also shooting at 1/50th of a second, always. To achieve that we need to limit the amount of light getting into the lens at given times of day by using what are called ND or neutral density filters. Important thing is to always leave on your "zebra", zebra is simply a shimmering pattern that comes on the picture to indicate that part of the image is overexposed. It is important to know that HLG cannot handle ANY overexposure, so you should choose a filter that JUST eliminates zebra otherwise you then risk underexposure, but that isn't such an issue with HLG. Once you have a play I'm happy to look at your files for further advice.
2019-8-8
Use props
Lysdexia Eht
New
Australia

christangey Posted at 8-8 02:07
Yes, if you mean you will just be playing back on the native files, either via SD card, USB stick or USB3 hard drive. But you will need filters if you don't want that juddery look that comes with a high shutter speed. If you are in Australia shooting 4K at 25P then to get a nice looking movement you should be aiming to be also shooting at 1/50th of a second, always. To achieve that we need to limit the amount of light getting into the lens at given times of day by using what are called ND or neutral density filters. Important thing is to always leave on your "zebra", zebra is simply a shimmering pattern that comes on the picture to indicate that part of the image is overexposed. It is important to know that HLG cannot handle ANY overexposure, so you should choose a filter that JUST eliminates zebra otherwise you then risk underexposure, but that isn't such an issue with HLG. Once you have a play I'm happy to look at your files for further advice.

Good stuff, yeah I ordered the PolarPro NDPL filters, the fun part will be to know which ones to use and when (early morning vs noon, etc). I've heard that twice the frame rate is your shutter, adjusting the aperture to around 4 to 9, and aiming for ISO 100 to reduce noise (only raising it if the aperture goes below 4). I have Zebra turned on and will use it only blowing out highlights when it's unavoidable (sun reflection etc).

If I can get footage even one tenth of what you're producing, I will be ecstatic.
2019-8-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules