Wind filters for Osmo Action.
4363 14 2019-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Hi.

Here's what the Action is like with some Rycote Micro Windjammers https://geni.us/RycoteMicroWindjammer

The wind was going up and down through all the takes and while the Windjammers don't completely get rid of all the wind, there is a difference.

This may be useful for people doing vlogging or capturing specific audio and/or dialogue.

On the point of vlogging. I'll be doing a video soon showing a hack for the Action that gives it a direct quarter/20 mount which means that you can connect a pistol grip direct. With a direct connection of a pistol grip without the case and with the Windjammers, it could make the Action a real good option for a small bare bones vlogging camera.

Cheers,
Dave.

2019-5-31
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there Dave. Thanks for sharing this awesome accessory for the DJI Osmo Action Cam. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any other concerns. Thank you for continued support. Cheers!
2019-5-31
Use props
ff22
lvl.4
United States

Remarkable difference.  THANKS for sharing.  Though it does look like your Action mated with one of those troll dolls that use to be popular (g)

2019-5-31
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 5-31 17:31
Remarkable difference.  THANKS for sharing.  Though it does look like your Action mated with one of those troll dolls that use to be popular (g)

[view_image]

OK, now we're talking serious wizard level protection. Where do I get two of them from
2019-5-31
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 5-31 14:45
Hi, there Dave. Thanks for sharing this awesome accessory for the DJI Osmo Action Cam. Please don't hesitate to reach us if you have any other concerns. Thank you for continued support. Cheers!

Hi Gamora.

You are very welcome.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-5-31
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain
Malaysia

Thanks for sharing, very nice video
2019-5-31
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great vid mate
2019-6-1
Use props
Ray-CubeAce
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I had seen these some time back on Amazon but wondered about effectiveness. The answer seems to be, not bad. Thank you for the review. Have sent you a PM.
2019-6-1
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Ray-CubeAce Posted at 6-1 06:15
I had seen these some time back on Amazon but wondered about effectiveness. The answer seems to be, not bad. Thank you for the review. Have sent you a PM.

Hi Ray.

I've used these on a whole bunch of things and they're quite effective. I also use the sticky pads to secure the windshields for the Rode Wireless GO onto the TX unit.

Once I do the quarter 20 thing for the Action, I'll try it out with a pistol grip and these Windjammers and see what it's all like for vlogging.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-6-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

David_Harry Posted at 5-31 17:59
Hi Gamora.

You are very welcome.

It's my pleasure Dave. Have a wonderful day!
2019-6-4
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft

Hi Dave, what about fitting the case though?
2019-9-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

anthonyb Posted at 9-3 12:31
Hi Dave, what about fitting the case though?

Hi Anthony.

The problem with any of the skeletal cases is that you can't get an air tight seal around the mic, so you get wind leakage from the sides. This example is for someone who wants to shoot bare minimum.

If you check my other video where I modify the rubber case with the Windjammers and the 1/4-20 mount, this is the same wind reduction but you can mount the Action to a pistol grip, tripod plate or anything else that's 1/4-20

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-3
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft

David_Harry Posted at 9-3 12:54
Hi Anthony.

The problem with any of the skeletal cases is that you can't get an air tight seal around the mic, so you get wind leakage from the sides. This example is for someone who wants to shoot bare minimum.

Understood, thanks.  Another option is to stick a wooly sock over the whole thing and just cut out a hole for the lens and screen.  Seriously, it does work.  Use a clean sock though...
2019-9-3
Use props
David_Harry
lvl.4

anthonyb Posted at 9-3 13:04
Understood, thanks.  Another option is to stick a wooly sock over the whole thing and just cut out a hole for the lens and screen.  Seriously, it does work.  Use a clean sock though...

Hi Anthony.

Yes, that’d work but not with my socks, there’s more holes than sock

I’m doing another rig modification but with foam encasing the whole camera, this’d work with the skeletal case. It’s basically ripped of for something I bought for the GP7 when I had that.

The only problem is that none of this would be necessary if the external mic adaptor where available.

I just hope the mic adaptor is stereo as I build/modify a really nice sounding stereo mic that fits onto shoe mounts. It creates a very wide, almost binaural, stereo field, which is great for recording nature and atmospheric stuff.

I’ll up date my website this week with all my other Action and Pocket videos, it may be worth checking out as some of the videos may give you some ideas.

Cheers,
Dave.
2019-9-3
Use props
John on a Bike
lvl.1

United Kingdom

David_Harry Posted at 2019-9-3 12:54
Hi Anthony.

Do you have a link to that video please
2021-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules