Controller Signal Loss
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mhinc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 151467 ft
Canada

Hey Folks.
So I bought a used P3 Standard to have as a second drone just for fun.  It was cheap enough.  I am getting constant errors that the Controller has lost signal which I have set to RTH in that case.
When I first got it, all I did was hold the gimbal wheel to the left and flip the B Switch 3 times.  But I never actually hit the little reset on the drone itself.
I know from reading up on it, that this error is common when the drone has sat for a while especially without battery.
Was what I did enough or do you think doing the reset with the button on the drone itself would make a difference?

2019-5-31
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

You can open up the controller and upgrade the antenna.
2019-5-31
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 5-31 21:39
You can open up the controller and upgrade the antenna.

That wasn't the question.  I already have a MOD Antenna

The Itelite DBS Phantom Range Extender        
https://www.amazon.com/ITELITE-ITE-DBS01_v-3-DBS-PHANTOM-ANTENNA/dp/B01BTBIXPC

You are the last person I will take advice from after what I have seen you do.

2019-5-31
Use props
AntDX316
First Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mhinc Posted at 5-31 21:49
That wasn't the question.  I already have a MOD Antenna

The Itelite DBS Phantom Range Extender        https://www.amazon.com/ITELITE-ITE-DBS01_v-3-DBS-PHANTOM-ANTENNA/dp/B01BTBIXPC

Perhaps your antenna is wired wrong.  Well, I've never lost any of my DJI drones and they fly stable.  What have you seen me do?

Also if you power a transmitter w/o an antenna it can fry the transmitter.  Also if the antenna is incorrect it can ruin the transmitter, if not in the beginning but in the future.  I was building drones myself trying to get to the flight capabilities I get with mine today.  I could never achieve it no matter how much modding and component adding I was doing!  I still use what I've built for fun as the FPV signal is instantaneous as it's analog?

"You are the last person I will take advice from after what I have seen you do." That can be a big mistake.  I'm bored and don't really care how people negatively feel about me as it's a misunderstanding.
2019-5-31
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 5-31 21:51
Perhaps your antenna is wired wrong.  Well, I've never lost any of my DJI drones and they fly stable.  What have you seen me do?

Also if you power a transmitter w/o an antenna it can fry the transmitter.  Also if the antenna is incorrect it can ruin the transmitter, if not in the beginning but in the future.  I was building drones myself trying to get to the flight capabilities I get with mine today.  I could never achieve it no matter how much modding and component adding I was doing!  I still use what I've built for fun as the FPV signal is instantaneous as it's analog?

Clear Clear
2019-5-31
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Just to add to this.  Here's what I have done thus far to try and resolve the "Remote Control Signal Weak - Signal Lost" error.

1. I have re-linked the RC
2. Being that my remote was modded by someone other than me with the The Itelite DBS Phantom Range Extender, I opened up the RC and was pleasantly surprised to see that the work was done very professionally.  All contacts were good.  I did clean them all just to be sure.
3. Tried to downgrade my firmware.  But the only option was to use the same firmware I was already using.
4. Tried flight in a completely open area, free of metal and magnetic interference.

The ONLY thing I have noticed is that when the Remote Controller Signal drops.  If I Aim the Itelite antenna UP, like the photo below, it grabs the signal at full again.  Note that this is even if the drone is in front, behind or directly above me.  This doesn't make sense as it's meant to be in a fixed position.

I have seen forum post after forum post regarding this same issue.  There doesn't appear to be any damage to the drone or it's antenna.  Compass, IMU and Gimbal are all good.  It flies without issue.
I am at a loss here.  I need some real help to resolve this.    Can anyone suggest something I HAVE NOT tried?

2019-6-1
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You haven't told us at what distance you lose control.

That ITELITE antenna does actually aim slightly downward from what you'd expect.  In other words, to aim the control signal perfectly, you'd want to aim the flat panel slightly above the AC.  That's how I fly.

Somebody posted a photo once after taking the panel off, and the array antenna panel inside is deliberately installed pointing downwards a bit relative to the backing panel.  I'm referring to the 5.8 ghz array antenna panel, not the 2.4 ghz panels.  Why?  Why in the world would they do it that way???  I have no idea.  

You can test your antenna's aim by using an EMF device and holding it in different places at a distance of 20 feet or so with the transmitter on (connect the 2.4 leads to another antenna).  

Not sure if this is the reason you have the problem though.  

Has the AC been modded?  If so, you probably want to check them and clean the receiver connections on that as well.  
2019-6-2
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 6-2 03:31
You haven't told us at what distance you lose control.

That ITELITE antenna does actually aim slightly downward from what you'd expect.  In other words, to aim the control signal perfectly, you'd want to aim the flat panel slightly above the AC.  That's how I fly.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I appreciate it.

Sorry, I thought I had mentioned the distances.  I only mentioned clear area with no interference.
I find this happening very intermittently .  It can happen at 40 meters, or 200 meters.  So there is no rhyme or reason to it , which is the main reason it's been so frustrating.

In regards to aiming the flat panel.  HOW?  I find the way it's mounted, only allows it to be clipped on one way and in one position?  Can you elaborate on that?

I don't believe the AC itself has been modified.  I got this third hand.  I don't believe there is modification but when I posted the picture below in another thread, someone had mentioned something about it being modded?  They said "The A/C is also modified? ie improved or reinforced bottom shell just under engine mount?"
I really appreciate the help, look forward to any more info you can provide!

Thanks!

2019-6-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Hey Mhinc,

There is something fundamentally wrong if you're getting only 40 meters or 200 meters.  

It doesn't look like your AC has been modded because I don't see any exterior antennas other than the stock ones that are in the legs.  

Regarding the aiming and the panel, I'm referring to the antenna inside the rectangular box.  See this thread for an idea of what I'm talking about, although I don't see a visible problem with the mount in that photo - and that isn't the photo I was referring to earlier which was posted 2-3 years ago.  Re the photo, the big one with the four smaller elements is an array antenna for 5.8 ghz.  The smaller one on the left is for 2.4 ghz.  We call that a patch antenna.  It's interesting to me that the two 2.4 ghz leads go to the same patch antenna.  But that's off topic.  

https://phantompilots.com/threads/dbs-antenna-qc.110475/

it's easy enough to test.  Just remove the ITELITE and screw in a 5.8 stick antenna into the controller.  Test it.  See what your range is.  

If the range is still horrible, it seems the only thing left is that the 5.8 cable inside the controller is bad, or the 5.8 transmitter itself is bad.  

These problems are time consuming to chase.  
2019-6-2
Use props
Mhinc
Second Officer
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 6-2 06:58
Hey Mhinc,

There is something fundamentally wrong if you're getting only 40 meters or 200 meters.  

Thanks for the advice.  You aren't kidding about time consuming.  I am only into it for 350.00 so I am not that upset, but still a pain in the ass
2019-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules