Bulging batteries after flight
6802 23 2019-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1163743 ft
United Kingdom

My 3 Mavic Air batteries are only just over a year old.
I've started to notice that they're bulging out at the end of each flight. The side that is internal pushes hard against the body of the drone.

Is this a sign of failure? Should they have lasted longer than just under a year?

I have noticed that I only really get useable flight times of around 12 to 13 mninutes and it is definitely less than it was when they were all new.
2019-6-2
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They are insured under warranty for six months or 200 recharge cycles - whichever occurs first. Swollen batteries are not fit to fly with and could lead to voltage drops in flight. Do you have any photos of the batteries to see how swollen they are?
2019-6-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day brianoflondon. I am sorry to know that you are having this issue regarding the batteries of your DJI Mavic Air. Battery bulging or swelling is basically caused by to much heat, vast changes in temperature and/or moisture getting into the battery itself. For safety purposes please do not use bloated or bulging batteries when flying or operating your drone so that the drone's performance will not be affected or compromised . Using bloated or bulging batteries might lead to damaging of the aircraft, or worse, damage to property. Have a safe and happy flying always.
2019-6-2
Use props
Kandomere
lvl.3
United States

do you store them fully charged ?
2019-6-3
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

Depending how much flying, i would easily say end of battery service life, year over sounds large
2019-6-3
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 200853 ft
Russia

Have the batteries been cooled to normal temperature before charging? Hot batteries should not be charged.
2019-6-4
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

I thought the batteries would refuse charge if they where too hot.
2019-6-4
Use props
larryc43230
Second Officer
Flight distance : 664534 ft
United States

Ken Storm Posted at 6-4 02:11
I thought the batteries would refuse charge if they where too hot.

From the Mavic Air User Manual V1.2:

2019-6-4
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Netherlands

I ordered and received 3 new batteries from the local distributor for DJI (surprisingly similar price to the USA). I will retire the other batteries. I'm going to try and figure out if the diagnostics can tell me how many times the other batteries were charge/discharged but I believe it will be somewhere around 200 times. I have used (and enjoyed) my drone a lot and I'm still very happy to fly it.

I'll try to photograph the bulge but as I don't intend to seriously fly those batteries again: perhaps I'll do one low hover flight for 10 mins and then photograph one.

Hoping to charge and try out my new batteries today and hoping to see a dramatically improved flight time.
2019-6-4
Use props
AJCW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

brianoflondon Posted at 6-4 02:30
I ordered and received 3 new batteries from the local distributor for DJI (surprisingly similar price to the USA). I will retire the other batteries. I'm going to try and figure out if the diagnostics can tell me how many times the other batteries were charge/discharged but I believe it will be somewhere around 200 times. I have used (and enjoyed) my drone a lot and I'm still very happy to fly it.

I'll try to photograph the bulge but as I don't intend to seriously fly those batteries again: perhaps I'll do one low hover flight for 10 mins and then photograph one.

Wise decision
2019-6-4
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Netherlands

The old batteries have been charged 76, 66 and 62 times (fewer than I thought).

Slightly disappointingly, my "new" batteries were manufactured in Oct 2018 and 2x Dec 2018. That's what happens when you live as far away from the main market of America as Israel is. I'm in Israel... not the Netherlands (VPN to blame for that).

I didn't get to fly this afternoon, 40 kmh winds weren't appealing to me.
2019-6-4
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

These batteries are 100% recyclable.
2019-6-4
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Netherlands

Vofas Posted at 6-4 21:24
These batteries are 100% recyclable.

What do you mean? Recyclable by who?
2019-6-4
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

I meant that such batteries cannot be used and that they should be thrown away.
2019-6-4
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Netherlands

I do have another question. These old batteries, with the USB adaptor that came with the Fly More kit, still make fantastic phone recharging batteries. They're super high density and light.

Is this safe to use on an ongoing basis or will they, at some random point, catch fire and do real damage.
2019-6-4
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

Lipo's are volatile. Have you seen one catching fire? - impossible to put out unless contained.

Agree, they are good phone chargers but as yours are likely damaged I wouldn't.
2019-6-4
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

I also would not advise joking with these lithium batteries. It is not known when a closure occurs in them due to internal pressure and, as a consequence, a fire.
2019-6-5
Use props
brianoflondon
lvl.3
Netherlands

I'm even struggling to work out how to discharge them. Other than flying the only way is to charge other devices by USB but that takes ages! I'm really keen to get the energy out of these things.
2019-6-5
Use props
Vofas
Second Officer
Russia

Better not to risk it. Do not use these batteries.
2019-6-5
Use props
MavicAirUser
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132287 ft
United States

Bulging lipo's are a sign of over discharging.  I set my warning level at 30% and usually try to return prior to that.  For longer life you don't want to discharge below 3.8 volts per cell.  Going to 3.7 once in a while typically won't hurt but don't make a practice of it.
2019-6-13
Use props
Scotty Shep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136168 ft
Finland

My batteries have been on 12 flights within the last 6 months with no problems
2019-6-14
Use props
Richard Jordense
New

Netherlands

I also have 2 batteries which bulged. But charger 35 times. In less than 2 years....

I dont understand why, always Let Them cool down after flights...

And flew so less...I think its really bad.
2020-8-7
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

I have 3 batteries in the garbage now, the most used having slightly over 30 charges on it. They have been taken care of every which way possible. I don't even leave them in the drone (or the case) after a flight to prevent prolonged heat retention, I never drain them too low etc. etc. But I live in place that is hot year around, day and night; and there is nothing I can do about it.

Because of that I am getting rid of the Air soon (and good riddance will it be). I have to say $80 for around 30 flights is too rich for my blood  ...

2020-8-7
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft
United States

New update about swollen batteries, I found out it disappears if you cycle it down to nothingness, then chill it, then charge it, then fly it and doublecheck swolleness after landing. The environment temperature affects swollen batteries. Night flights are significantly colder.
2020-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules