Phantom 4 RTK is dropping RTK connection - firmware V02.01.0012
7939 24 2019-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason Heyman
lvl.2
United States

We just started noticing the RTK is dropping connection midflight and the drone is switching back to GNSS. We are able to manually reconnect midproject, but we end up losing RTK on 20-30 photos. This is a new issue, we have flown this without RTK loss on multiple projects.

We are using internet base station
have verified that the wifi connection is not interrupted (connecting with iPhone hotspot)
have multiple devices using RTK that are not experiencing issues.
Firmware of Phantom 4 RTK Remote Controller V02.01.0012
Firmware of Phantom 4 RTK V02.01.0009

2019-6-4
Use props
jivago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

Hi
Can I ask a question. Why Firmware version of Drone and RC is not the same(V02.01.0012) ?
2019-6-5
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Those are the most current versions availabe from DJI. They appear to have released an RC firmware version that is newer than the newest one for AC.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-rtk/info#downloads

2019-6-5
Use props
jivago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23671 ft
Iran

patiam Posted at 6-5 08:16
Those are the most current versions availabe from DJI. They appear to have released an RC firmware version that is newer than the newest one for AC.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-rtk/info#downloads

In release log, they said "fixed an issue about language". I wondered that did it worth to download a 650 Mb file for fixing that issue?
2019-6-6
Use props
ryanthomasak
lvl.1

United States

I am also having the same issue with our two P4 RTK's. during my flights. I have had this issue before the update. I have to keep my finger ready to pause the mission when rtk drops. Its also like clockwork, every time it does it's the same set amount of time. I am able to reconnect via the rtk tab. I thought maybe it was a wifi setting on my ntrip server but no luck with any settings changes.

Also strange but possibly related. when my controller did the update you listed, the controller locked up and started vibrating and beeping. None of the buttons worked, pulled the battery, discovered the controller has a backup so you can swap batteries without turning it off. Had to wait a considerable amount of time before it lost power.
2019-6-13
Use props
ryanthomasak
lvl.1

United States

I am also having the same issue with our two P4 RTK's. during my flights. I have had this issue before the update. I have to keep my finger ready to pause the mission when rtk drops. Its also like clockwork, every time it does it's the same set amount of time. I am able to reconnect via the rtk tab. I thought maybe it was a wifi setting on my ntrip server but no luck with any settings changes.

Also strange but possibly related. when my controller did the update you listed, the controller locked up and started vibrating and beeping. None of the buttons worked, pulled the battery, discovered the controller has a backup so you can swap batteries without turning it off. Had to wait a considerable amount of time before it lost power.
2019-6-13
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

I recently have had the same problem.  with a very similar almost "timed"  dropping and reconnecting of the CORS station via a hotspot.  Did you find a solution?
2019-7-11
Use props
Christopher Juliana
New

United States

I'm having the same problem...did anyone ever receive a resolution?
2019-7-17
Use props
Jason Heyman
lvl.2
United States

The only "solution" is to post-process so far for me.
2019-7-18
Use props
Newbie 75
lvl.2

United States

I found that when I use an Iphone for a hotspot it times out at 1.5 mins.  It will re-establish connection and regain RTK lock after roughly 30 secs.  I would pause mission during this time but it would drain the batteries in no time.  I then tried a samsung S9 for hotspot and my connection was not interrupted once.  Needless to say my company switched my phone over.  Works great now.   
2019-7-19
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

We haven't run into this using a Pixel 2 as the hotspot. Pretty sure we have that firmware.
2019-7-19
Use props
HTA_RP-1
lvl.3

United States

patiam Posted at 7-19 09:29
We haven't run into this using a Pixel 2 as the hotspot. Pretty sure we have that firmware.

I was using an iPhone or iPad as hotspot but had not had this dropping of rtk occur previously with the same iPhone.  I will check it again.
2019-7-19
Use props
Jason Heyman
lvl.2
United States

We tested this out in the field multiple times now and it appears the iPhone is the root of the connectivity issue. We tested three phones in the field iPhone Xs, iPhone 7 (both running the most recent iOS 12.3.2) and Google Pixel 3 v.10 and both iPhones failed and the Google Pixel worked fine.
2019-7-22
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Good to know, thanks for reporting back!
2019-7-22
Use props
fansab78a9dd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3284 ft
United States

patiam Posted at 7-22 13:11
Good to know, thanks for reporting back!

I concur - we used an android based phone hotspot on multiple missions yesterday and the RTK never dropped once.
2019-7-23
Use props
djiuser_CHh1MVp5Vl7j
lvl.1

United States

Newbie 75 Posted at 7-19 09:02
I found that when I use an Iphone for a hotspot it times out at 1.5 mins.  It will re-establish connection and regain RTK lock after roughly 30 secs.  I would pause mission during this time but it would drain the batteries in no time.  I then tried a samsung S9 for hotspot and my connection was not interrupted once.  Needless to say my company switched my phone over.  Works great now.

It doesn't totally surprise me. We write apps for IOS and Android and Apple networking is an absolute pain and has been for years.
2019-7-23
Use props
TheLensAloft
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34865 ft
United States

Just wanted to say thanks to all who helped find a resolution to this problem. its been a frustrating week of dropped RTK signals and now its all good.
2019-11-5
Use props
fanse986e0b1
lvl.1

United States

I am still having the issue of dropping rtk. The wifi connection between the drone controller and my trimble r10-2 wifi does not drop or loose connection. I was able to make the security type changes to wpa2 aes+tkip and it has made no difference. I am observing GPS, Glonass, Beidou, and Galileo constellations. Anyone have any other possible solutions?
2020-7-15
Use props
fanse986e0b1
lvl.1

United States

Thank you to everyone who has conrtributed troubleshooting this problem. I am contemplating using ppk instead, but id much rather know it has real time fix
2020-7-15
Use props
fanse986e0b1
lvl.1

United States

Figured out my problem today! Hopefully this helps if anyone is still stuck. My GPS base was observing and sending rtk corrections for gnss constellations that the drone can't use. Only use GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, and Galileo.
2020-7-16
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

fanse986e0b1 Posted at 7-16 13:13
Figured out my problem today! Hopefully this helps if anyone is still stuck. My GPS base was observing and sending rtk corrections for gnss constellations that the drone can't use. Only use GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, and Galileo.

Thanks @fanse986e0b1!!! Good to know.
2020-7-16
Use props
Surveyor 1
lvl.1
Australia

I have developed this problem in Australia. I am using Custom network - Internet Based - Smartnet - latest firmware in controller and P4RTK. The controller has its own dedicated sim and is NOT hot spotted and is connected via the national carrier on the outskirts of Sydney where I use a GPS rover with no similar issues. It times out at 2 minutes - I then pause the flight - MANUALLY reconnect and then generally in 15 seconds from there it reconnects. The result is a loss of approx 30 seconds flight time every 2 minutes which is unacceptable. Others are experiencing this issue and the response from the retailer is use PPK which is also unacceptable. I dont seem to be able to turn any of the various Satellites off as has been previously suggested. Does anyone have a clue. DJI ...please...a response would be nice.
2020-9-6
Use props
TOPOBARROS
New
Portugal

Surveyor 1 Posted at 2020-9-6 21:43
I have developed this problem in Australia. I am using Custom network - Internet Based - Smartnet - latest firmware in controller and P4RTK. The controller has its own dedicated sim and is NOT hot spotted and is connected via the national carrier on the outskirts of Sydney where I use a GPS rover with no similar issues. It times out at 2 minutes - I then pause the flight - MANUALLY reconnect and then generally in 15 seconds from there it reconnects. The result is a loss of approx 30 seconds flight time every 2 minutes which is unacceptable. Others are experiencing this issue and the response from the retailer is use PPK which is also unacceptable. I dont seem to be able to turn any of the various Satellites off as has been previously suggested. Does anyone have a clue. DJI ...please...a response would be nice.

Hi , Did you solve the problem, I have the same problem. Thanks for your help.
2021-5-7
Use props
TOPOBARROS
New
Portugal

fanse986e0b1 Posted at 2020-7-16 13:13
Figured out my problem today! Hopefully this helps if anyone is still stuck. My GPS base was observing and sending rtk corrections for gnss constellations that the drone can't use. Only use GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, and Galileo.

Hi, Did you solve the problem. I have the same problem. Thanks for your help.
2021-5-7
Use props
Surveyor 1
lvl.1
Australia

TOPOBARROS Posted at 5-7 21:54
Hi, Did you solve the problem. I have the same problem. Thanks for your help.

No answer, no response, no f**king idea
2021-11-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules