Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic Pro for aerial surveys
3673 8 2019-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

For the past month I've been using a Mavic 2 Pro (and my personal  Mavic Pro as backup) for large scale (100's of acres) aerial surveys.   Originally we thought we might do some photogrammetry, so we were using  Map Pilot for DJI from Drones Made Easy with a 70% overlap at 300 ft  AGL.  But 70% overlap was causing the photo density to be so high that  it would have taken use many weeks to perform all the work.  So we  dropped it down to as low as 10% overlap (25% to 30% was typical) and  said goodbye to the photogrammetry option.  In the end the only issues  we had were with occasional application crashes and batteries... we were  in very remote areas and had to try to recharge on the go via a the  cigarette lighter charger plugged into an ATV... while bouncing down  rocky dirt roads.  The Mavics performed quite well with this type of  work, and the small size was critical when hiking through the mountains  (where there were no roads for the ATVs).

Here's a shot of a typical evening in my hotel room after a long day of aerial photography:

Recharging

Recharging
2019-6-6
Use props
ENC DRONES
lvl.2
United States

Nice set up. I haven't tried my hand at land survey. I do roof inspections and real estate photography. How hard is land survey. We have a lot of farms here.
2019-6-6
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice set up
2019-6-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice setup!
2019-6-7
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice setup
2019-6-7
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

this is really cool, regarding the map does the app do all the work or do the images get uploaded to the cloud for processing?
2019-6-7
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

ENC DRONES Posted at 6-6 16:31
Nice set up. I haven't tried my hand at land survey. I do roof inspections and real estate photography. How hard is land survey. We have a lot of farms here.

The software we used made it pretty easy to do the flights.  It was just a matter of defining the resolution (units per pixel) and area... the software did everything else.  It would literally control the drone from takeoff to landing.  Because we were trying to photograph mountainous areas, we needed an offline digital elevation map as part of the solution.  The drone had to know the topography to be able to fly at a constant elevation AGL.  I would think that farms would be much easier, given that the topographic relief would be minimal.  Pix4D has a very good app (that's free) that does a great job of flying over flat terrain.
2019-6-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello and good day CAAirborne. Thank you for reaching out and for sharing this wonderful setup that you have. Beautiful rig setup and thank you for your support.
2019-6-7
Use props
ENC DRONES
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the info, will have to check it out!
2019-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules