Private property
848 16 2019-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Flight distance : 10321657 ft
Canada

Decided to fly my MP in another area and came upon this person who demanded that I give him a copy of my video. A friend of mind who resides in a farming community had asked if I would take video of his house, he had left for work so he wasn't present, as I was filming this chap drove up to me with his tractor and asked what I was doing, I replied telling him that I was flying my drone and taking videos, he then told me that I was flying over his land and he once attempted to shoot the drone down, there was no buildings where I was flying just fields and the Ottawa River, after a brief discussion he mentioned that he in fact owned a drone, I then inquired if he was certified, he knew nothing about the new law and getting certified, after a while of discussing the government he was somewhat friendlier to me, my question is this person is he in his right to obtain a copy of my video? honestly I would not object in giving him a copy but does he have the right to obtain one?
2019-6-7
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No he does not have any right. The drone is your property and the images you take with it are your also your private property. Would you give him your mobile phone to look through your photo album because he asked? No! The same principle applies. He has absolutely no legal right to look at any of your footage or stills without your permission. The only people that can are the Police and they need to have a just cause to warrant that. Sounds like you handled it well mate - much better than I would have
2019-6-8
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Don't give him jack.   He doesn't own the sky over his property.
2019-6-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

No he does not have the right to obtain a copy. further more just because he said he's the
owner how do you know for sure that he is.
2019-6-8
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Woe Posted at 6-8 07:34
No he does not have the right to obtain a copy. further more just because he said he's the

Thats another reason why - good point mate
2019-6-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

Woe Posted at 6-8 07:34

will not give him one either
2019-6-8
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

AJC-W Posted at 6-8 07:48
Thats another reason why - good point mate

for some reason people just want to give others a hard time, he ain't getting a copy!
2019-6-8
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Picanoc Jack Posted at 6-8 08:31
for some reason people just want to give others a hard time, he ain't getting a copy!

Yeah, he seems like an idiot
2019-6-8
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 6-8 08:29
will not give him one either

The nerve of some people.
2019-6-8
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

It's unfortunate that there are always people who think it is their right to get into other peoples business.   I have not yet had a bad encounter with landowners or bystanders but if one flies often enough I'm sure it will happen.
2019-6-10
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Oh, come on! Sell him a copy for 250 bucks....
That's "your going rate", right???
I say this with some tongue in cheek.
2019-6-10
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

Flycaster Posted at 6-10 12:35
Oh, come on! Sell him a copy for 250 bucks....
That's "your going rate", right???
I say this with some tongue in cheek.

yeah that sounds great!
2019-6-11
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

Far_North Posted at 6-10 07:52
It's unfortunate that there are always people who think it is their right to get into other peoples business.   I have not yet had a bad encounter with landowners or bystanders but if one flies often enough I'm sure it will happen.

yeah that was my first one, he was complaining about how he lost acreage due to flooding and also wanted to sue the government...…. I wished him good luck
2019-6-11
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've never had anyone I did not know ask me for a copy of the video or pics I was taking.  I've had people joke about shooting my drone out of the air but I am pretty respectful with how high I am above their property, usually 200'-380'.  I frequently get people that want to ask very positive and general interest in drone questions, depending on what my task is or what is going on I may ask them to give me a moment to finish flying so I can give my undivided attention to the task of flying.  My neighbors all know its me flying over and occasionally text to acknowledge they saw me, make sure it was me, or to ask if I can take a picture of something for them.  I take pictures for the parks and recreation  folks in my town just because.  Well, they have been improving our local parks and use my pics on their website sometimes.  I pretty much look for any excuse to take pics or video for most of the people I know so I have an excuse to fly.
2019-6-11
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

maihem.rc Posted at 6-11 07:23
I've never had anyone I did not know ask me for a copy of the video or pics I was taking.  I've had people joke about shooting my drone out of the air but I am pretty respectful with how high I am above their property, usually 200'-380'.  I frequently get people that want to ask very positive and general interest in drone questions, depending on what my task is or what is going on I may ask them to give me a moment to finish flying so I can give my undivided attention to the task of flying.  My neighbors all know its me flying over and occasionally text to acknowledge they saw me, make sure it was me, or to ask if I can take a picture of something for them.  I take pictures for the parks and recreation  folks in my town just because.  Well, they have been improving our local parks and use my pics on their website sometimes.  I pretty much look for any excuse to take pics or video for most of the people I know so I have an excuse to fly.

well like yourself I'm the same way, it's just that this person at first was really agressive, that being said though,  on FB around my area someone posted that there were some individuals flying their drones all around their homes trying to find out if anyone was around in order to rob their places,  I posted that in my immediate area there is only two of us that fly and we do have to be certified and everything we do with our drones is recorded by DJI  and if needed they could help authorities in finding out who was flying around their areas, but then I don't believe anything on FB.
2019-6-11
Use props
maihem.rc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2076335 ft
  • >>>
United States

Picanoc Jack Posted at 6-11 09:40
well like yourself I'm the same way, it's just that this person at first was really agressive, that being said though,  on FB around my area someone posted that there were some individuals flying their drones all around their homes trying to find out if anyone was around in order to rob their places,  I posted that in my immediate area there is only two of us that fly and we do have to be certified and everything we do with our drones is recorded by DJI  and if needed they could help authorities in finding out who was flying around their areas, but then I don't believe anything on FB.

I guess I sort of get that some people may be overly paranoid of things in general.  I can admit, I am leery of anyone walking down the main street outside our neighborhood because it it so rare that anyone walks anywhere anymore, one guy was barking back at my dogs one day.  That was weird.  But who is going to spend over $1200US on a "tool" to rob houses?
Thinking about it, I know most of my neighbors and they know me.  If I was new to an area, just visiting, or not in a typically public space, I can see why some people get weird about it.  Plus, you guys up in Canada have some hoops to jump through since June 1st from what I have read so that may restrict exposure in general.  Hoping that does not get traction in the states...but I would understand if it did with some of the things I've seen people do.
2019-6-12
Use props
Picanoc Jack
First Officer
Canada

maihem.rc Posted at 6-12 10:14
I guess I sort of get that some people may be overly paranoid of things in general.  I can admit, I am leery of anyone walking down the main street outside our neighborhood because it it so rare that anyone walks anywhere anymore, one guy was barking back at my dogs one day.  That was weird.  But who is going to spend over $1200US on a "tool" to rob houses?
Thinking about it, I know most of my neighbors and they know me.  If I was new to an area, just visiting, or not in a typically public space, I can see why some people get weird about it.  Plus, you guys up in Canada have some hoops to jump through since June 1st from what I have read so that may restrict exposure in general.  Hoping that does not get traction in the states...but I would understand if it did with some of the things I've seen people do.

yes that certification will discourage quite a few people
2019-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules