Osmo Action Firmware Change Requests
6229 62 2019-6-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
id4alexey
lvl.4

Russia

A few words about RockSteady and real resolution.

In an attempt to select the optimal recording mode, made simple measurements to assess the resolution of the visible area of the matrix after turning on the DEWARP and RockSteady modes.
Measurements were taken relative to the mode without DEWARP and RockSteady.

As a result, I received the following approximate results:

DEWARP ON                ROCKSTEADY OFF        3014x1695
DEWARP OFF        ROCKSTEADY ON                2828x1591
DEWARP ON                ROCKSTEADY ON                2519x1417

If you believe the results, the ROCKSTEADY ON mode in the current implementation makes sense only for 2.7K mode. Given the same bitrate, 2.7K mode should give a better picture than a 2519x1417 crop scaled to 4K.

In order for the camera to be called 4K, it is necessary to implement stabilization at which the real resolution would be more than 2.7K.

In addition to RockSteady, I would like to see the following stabilization modes:

1. The minimum mode due to excess pixels relative to the 4000x3000 mode (4K mode without crop), let's call it “RockHands”.
This mode will be sufficient for static handheld shooting (the operator is stationary).

2. The average mode with crop at the level of the DEWARP ON mode (~ 3000x1680), let's call it “RockClear”.
This mode is well suited for accurate moving with maximum image quality.

3. RockSteady - the only wish is to try to slightly reduce the crop with DEWARP ON to at least correspond to the 2.7K mode.

Alexey
2020-1-20
Use props
LucianCLS
Romania

It would be great if there would be an option to use as a Dash Cam  so it would start loop recording when USB power is pressent ! i think is should be a great easy to implement feature !
2020-1-20
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

id4alexey Posted at 1-20 08:14

In an attempt to select the optimal recording mode, made simple measurements to assess the resolution of the visible area of the matrix after turning on the DEWARP and RockSteady modes.

My question is did you test it on 2.7K to see if it cut the resolution from there?
2020-1-22
Use props
Interceptor_Alpha
lvl.2
United States

1. Fix rock steady and take it back to what it was before they ruined it.

2. Remove wifi and location requirements for using a camera on a phone.
2020-1-22
Use props
id4alexey
lvl.4

Russia

Interceptor_Alpha Posted at 1-22 17:01
My question is did you test it on 2.7K to see if it cut the resolution from there?

I made quick test. The difference is minimal. There are the crops: 2.7K and 4K . 2.7K scaled to 4K. After scaling I see minimal difference in the angle of view - 2.7K some wider.
2020-1-23
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yup rocksteady is now just terrible since last update. Fix this please.
2020-1-23
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

In an attempt to select the optimal recording mode, made simple measurements to assess the resolution of the visible area of the matrix after turning on the DEWARP and RockSteady modes.

Interesting comparison of resolution, I’m intrigued - how did you obtain measurements of the cropped resolution ?
2020-1-26
Use props
id4alexey
lvl.4

Russia

MKosmo Posted at 1-26 07:54
Interesting comparison of resolution, I’m intrigued - how did you obtain measurements of the cropped resolution ?

I used simply method:
1. Supose the camera without RS & DW has full resolution 3,840 x 2,160.
2. Fix the camera against any wall.      
2. Look through the camera on the wall, and mark on the wall the left and the right boder of the image.
3. Change RS & DW mode to ON and mark the boders on the wall again.
4. Measure distance between the marks and calculate the resolution:
    RES=3,840 * DISTrsdw=on / DISTrsdw=off
5. So we define the resolution of part of the video sensor, which is using for video coding. Afte that, as I think, the result frame is coding to  4K or 2.7K depending of the choosing video mode
2020-1-28
Use props
MKosmo
Second Officer
United Kingdom

id4alexey Posted at 1-28 06:11
I used simply method:
1. Supose the camera without RS & DW has full resolution 3,840 x 2,160.
2. Fix the camera against any wall.      

Ahh I see, using scaling - thanks for answer.

It is a bit scary how much resolution is being lost though.

It does explain when comparing OA to OP how you can see the loss of detail. ( considering it’s using the same sensor )
2020-1-28
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

so guess  makinga timer for video is not happening. It's Feb 2020 the CES show came and went, May is around the corner, hoping this is no the End of a OA1 and seeing a OA2 come with the features we asked. some other company did that and well uh. guess my camera still records and that will be my FATE!.
2020-2-3
Use props
djiuser_99jkEojbEiOS
lvl.3
Serbia

Could we expect some software updates soon?
2020-2-6
Use props
fans8bac0e74
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I am happy with the Osmo Action. Purchased it in November, and returned the Hero 7. Way better usability.

2 options would be great for me:

- an option for smaller file size, better compression or more compression. Sometimes I want to save space for situations where max quality is not important. The files from the DJI Osmo Action can be 8 times larger than my Sony RX100 M7 files. at 1080 60fps. This is one of my main gripes. at least have 2 quality options. Even if storage is cheaper these days, sometimes smaller size is important.

- while freediving in rough water, with the Osmo in the housing it is hard to read the custom modes FPS. I wish the text in the C modes was LARGER, easier to read in an instant, underwater or in the waves, with a lot of sun. Legibility has to be improved for custom modes, as i can't access the touchscreen when the Osmo is in the housing.

These 2 are my main issues. I hope they are addressed.

Having less sharpening would be good too.
2020-2-19
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

That is exactly what I have been saying from the beginning. I don't think Gopro is any better either. For me, it is hard to be ok with a seriously upscaled, "pseudo" 4K resolution.

And it gets worse. Per my rough calculations (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), to get the level of digital stabilization people want and real 4K resolution, you need at least a 16MP sensor. And with a similar lens setup, it has to be 1/1.7" or bigger so that it does not hit the diffraction limit. So basically you need the next-gen action camera to be able to actually do what this gen promises.

I totally agree with your stabilization level suggestions. I believe there is enough playroom on the sensor for some basic stabilization (without dipping below 4K), and that should be the first level. I also would rather see the highest level labelled correctly, as 2.7K maybe, instead of upscaling it and listing it as 4K.
2020-2-19
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Philippines

MKosmo Posted at 1-28 09:10
Ahh I see, using scaling - thanks for answer.

It is a bit scary how much resolution is being lost though.

Well, the quality difference is huge, but there are other factors at work there as well. OP is brighter (by two stops if my memory serves me right) which is a factor, it's fov is much smaller (translates into better definition), it has a narrower depth of field (slightly better compression) etc. etc.

But if I have to chose, having mechanically stabilized "real" 4K resolution would be at the top of my list   
2020-2-19
Use props
peiter
Second Officer
Denmark

I can understand the ACTION guys wanting RS to be as god as it can get, personally i am planning to get a gimbal and never use RS
2020-2-20
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

stephjant Posted at 2-7 12:27
The processor has limited capacity.  I am wondering if the improvement to lag was done at the expense of something else, and RS in particular which I think is worse than in the previous firmware version.  I personally dont care about the lag but I do need excellent RS performance for my action shots taken at speed and often over rough terrain

Exactly what I think/thougt.
I was pretty p1ssed off to realize today how the new Firmware destroyed the RS...
2020-2-21
Use props
maniac630
lvl.1
United States

Bring back the older better version of rocksteady.  The screen lag was not really that bad an issue, but now that that is "fixed" rocksteady is not as good as it was when I first got the camera.  The "gimbal-like" stabilization that I bought the camera for does not exist anymore.
Better yet, make it so the user can choose.  Have levels of rocksteady.  one being this current version of rocksteady that eliminates screen lag for things that don't need that much stabilization, and another setting that makes it as steady as it was originally with the only minor issue is it bringing back the screen lag.  Best of both worlds, make everyone happy.
2020-2-23
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So its like DJI  hired one Soul to take care of it.  way to go  dejing
2020-2-23
Use props
fans8bac0e74
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I have had the Osmo Action for a few months. I recently got a GP Hero 8 as well.
The file size of 60fps videos on the Osmo Action are huge.
I would like an option for lower bitrate/smaller files. Below the comparisons on how much footage I can put on a Hero 8 vs the Osmo Action at different res and fps.

Most of my content is output at 1080p, I am interested in 2.7k and 1080p (by the way does the battery at 2.7K lasts longer than when shooting at 4K? and 1080 vs 2.7K?)

I noticed the file size at 1080p 60 fps and 2.7K 60fps is huge.
I would be happy with a lower bitrate option to save drive and card space.

I put the same newly formatted 128 GB memory card and I checked the recording time on both the GPH8 and the DJI OA.

Any chance that DJI may provide more compressed/smaller files at 1080p and 2.7K 60 fps?
GoPro Hero 8 files at 4K 60fps are smaller than Osmo Action at 1080p 60fps.
Osmo Action at 2.7K 60fps does make sense, 167 min, same as 4K.

That would be amazing.

GoPro Hero 8 128 GB 1080p
30fps 7h 36 m 456 min
60 fps 5h 04 m  304min
DJI Osmo Action 128 GB card 1080p
30 fps  7h 59 min 479 min
60fps  3h 29 min 209 min

GoPro Hero 8 128 GB 2.7K
30fps 5h13m 313min
60fps 5h 13m 313 min
DJI Osmo Action 128 GB card 2.7K
30fps 3h29m 209 min
60fps 2h47m 167min

GoPro Hero 8 128 GB 4K
30fps 5h 13 min 313 min
60fps 4h 09m 249 min
DJI Osmo Action 128 GB card 4K
30fps  2h47m 167 min
60 fps 2h47m 167 min

2020-6-25
Use props
fans8bac0e74
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I have had the Osmo Action for a few months. I recently got a GP Hero 8 as well.
The file size of 60fps videos on the Osmo Action are huge.
I would like an option for lower bitrate/smaller files. Below the comparisons on how much footage I can put on a Hero 8 vs the Osmo Action at different res and fps.

Most of my content is output at 1080p, I am interested in 2.7k and 1080p (by the way does the battery at 2.7K lasts longer than when shooting at 4K? and 1080 vs 2.7K?)

I noticed the file size at 1080p 60 fps and 2.7K 60fps is huge.
I would be happy with a lower bitrate option to save drive and card space.

I put the same newly formatted 128 GB memory card and I checked the recording time on both the GPH8 and the DJI OA.

Any chance that DJI may provide more compressed/smaller files at 1080p and 2.7K 60 fps?
GoPro Hero 8 files at 4K 60fps are smaller than Osmo Action at 1080p 60fps.
Osmo Action at 2.7K 60fps does make sense, 167 min, same as 4K.

That would be amazing.

GoPro Hero 8 128 GB 1080p
30fps 7h 36 m 456 min
60 fps 5h 04 m  304min
DJI Osmo Action 128 GB card 1080p
30 fps  7h 59 min 479 min
60fps  3h 29 min 209 min

GoPro Hero 8 128 GB 2.7K
30fps 5h13m 313min
60fps 5h 13m 313 min
DJI Osmo Action 128 GB card 2.7K
30fps 3h29m 209 min
60fps 2h47m 167min

GoPro Hero 8 128 GB 4K
30fps 5h 13 min 313 min
60fps 4h 09m 249 min
DJI Osmo Action 128 GB card 4K
30fps  2h47m 167 min
60 fps 2h47m 167 min

2020-6-25
Use props
JanCus
New
Slovenia

i dont know if anyone knows, but when i walk the camera is really shay in rocksteady.. i need to run to make beter results.. can you fix that so also when i walk i ave a nice vieo? or is that already in the settings and i dont know about it.. rock steadey isnt good while walking.
2021-2-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

JanCus Posted at 2-14 05:31
i dont know if anyone knows, but when i walk the camera is really shay in rocksteady.. i need to run to make beter results.. can you fix that so also when i walk i ave a nice vieo? or is that already in the settings and i dont know about it.. rock steadey isnt good while walking.

All cameras shake when walking or jogging, and they all need a gimbal to fix the worst issues.
Osmo Action with Rocksteady is as good as gopro 8 or even 9 in some cases.
2021-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules