Taking a Mavic 2 Pro to Mexico?
2366 3 2019-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
macbern
lvl.1
Australia

Hey gang,

Hope you're all awesome. . .and that somebody can help.

I've done a search and read everything I can on site pertaining to taking drones to Mexico.

However, from what I can tell, nobody has really commented on how things play out now that the new legislation has passed and if you wish to fly anything over 250G you must be registered and catch 22 you can only register if you're a Mexican citizen.

I am hoping I will be able to take my drone and perhaps find a pilot there who will fly it. . .

What I don't know is whether or not Customs are just throwing drones in the bin as people come through if they don't have a Mexican Passport or how intense the system is.

Personally, I can't see them confiscating or destroying a drone just because you aren't mexican, based upon the off chance that you are going to fly it. . .surely there is such a thing as innocent until proven guilty.

Trouble is I will be flying with a bunch of other stuff but in rolly bags and backpacks. Red camera, Sony A7iii, lots of lenses, laptop, ronin s etc. I am going to shoot something there. . .

So any ideas people, hope you can help. . .really not sure what the current lie of the land is there.

Thank you very much in advance to anybody who takes the time.
2019-6-10
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I took 2 Mavic Airs to Mexico this May.  No issue at the Cancun airport coming or going.  Flew at my beach resort south of Cancun.  Also had 2 GoPros an A7 and laptop.  All packed as carry on.  This was the third time I have taken drones to Mexico.  Never had an issue.
2019-6-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. We're sure that our valued DJI Forum members would provide their tips/recommendation when taking the aircraft to Mexico. You may consider checking our geo-zone map to possibly check the restricted areas in Mexico. Thank you for your support.

https://www.dji.com/ca/flysafe/geo-map
2019-6-20
Use props
macbern
lvl.1
Australia

I had no issues whatsoever. . .

However I did hear that a small crew recently got stopped and had a rough time of it. I think I got lucky as we were travelling with a tonne of stuff, and I did have some of my camera bags opened up and searched by mexican customs with a 8 lenses, A7III, computers, hard drives etc. (no drone in those bags) and they didn't seem to care at all. . .
2019-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules