2017 6 2019-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grey_phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 787474 ft
Australia

Hi guys
I'm planning on travelling to a cold climate (-30°C) with a Phantom 4 RTK. Can anyone tell me if the intergrated remote controller screen with the Pro Plus/RTK can be operated with a stylus? I would like to be able to keep my gloves on.

Anyother tips for getting maximum safety and use from the drone in these temperatures would be appreciated.

Cheers
2019-6-11
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cue the DJI Moderator 'bot message about the RC, battery, camera etc. operating range minimum of 0°C...

But in answer to your question, I'm not sure about the stylus but like all other electronic and especially battery-powered gear, keep everything as warm as you can as long as you can, don't count on long battery life, and avoid super abrupt transitions from warm/humid to cold/dry and back. Watch out for condensation especially in and around camera. Beware of plastic getting brittle.

Pretty much all the standard issues. If you've operated similar (or at least camera) gear in extreme cold then you already know most of it.
2019-6-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

In the case of phones, like the Samsung Note, there appears to be a different screen and additional circuitry to permit operation with a stylus. For example, a Note 9 will work with a stylus, but when you try to use it on an S8 or similar, it does not work. So unless DJI engineered the display to work with a stylus, it probably will not work.
2019-6-11
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Unlikely" was my guess too, but since I wasn't sure I didn't offer an answer.
But then I simply Googled and found these:

https://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-CrystalSky-Monitor-AccuPoint-Electronic/dp/B07S2CXD75

https://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-CrystalSky-Monitor-Stylus-Capacitive/dp/B07S2D9QBJ

While I haven't tried either and don't know if the device on the P4P RTK is the same as a generic DJI CrystalSky monitor, it might be worth looking into for the OP rather than just discounting altogether. There are no reviews or answered questions on Amazon for either product.
2019-6-11
Use props
LYVFD8142
lvl.4

United States

Don't forget -30C on the ground might mean as the drone is flying with winds it could be a lot colder on it.
2019-6-12
Use props
Mayehem
lvl.3
Flight distance : 9641306 ft
Canada

I use a large point stylus everyday as gloves are mandatory on site. Love it!
2019-6-26
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Czechia

Trouble with stylus - are the different versions that can work with one screen but not another.

I have various touch screen units and each have their specific stylus .... they do not work on another ! Crazy but true. ALL phones that have touch screen by finger WILL have a suitable stylus - you just have to identify which one ...

Anyway ... touch screens are notorious for not working properly in the cold. I fly in winter in temps of -15C or lower (I am the limiting factor - not the model !!). Once I hit -10C or lower - I know my tablet is going to be intermittent on touch - so I use the controller buttons more.
Stylus makes no difference.

Main concern though is twofold :

1. Drone IMU calibration at cold temperature - to reduce start up time. I calibrated my P3P at -10C and now I have near instantaneous start up in all temps.

2. Battery temperature to operate. You need a warm sack or something to get that battery pack warm before use ... otherwise you will waste time waiting on the ground for it to warm up. I use a Turnigy LiPo Warm Sack designed specifically for the job.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turn ... &___store=en_us

Works of any 12v source including car ciggy lighter socket.

2019-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules