Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Dji Inspire 2 Battery life
7105 25 2019-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5abca74f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 27510 ft
  • >>>
Canada

HI,

I have a pair of battery that been charged 100 times. I dont know the exact life time for the battery on the Inspire 2. Is it bad to keep using it or i shouldnt worry about it.. the battery still work without any issue but im kinda scared to use it. I also have 2 brand new battery i bought it its been over a year now and i was wondering if its bad to keep it in the box? do i have to charge it and use it? i have 6 other new batteries so i dont use the new one. Hope someone can give me a correct answers to my questions thank you!
2019-6-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

There's no clearly specified life span of regularly used LiPo battery, or even a shelf life. Some DJI smart batteries can withstand 200 charges and still deliver, some may exhibit significant loss of capacity after 50 cycles. Many factors will determine their life span, storage maintenance being the most critical. The best way to evaluate the condition of a given pair is to observe voltage drop on every cell and battery temperature during flight. There's a dedicated page in GO4 app to see it. If under stress, aged battery will clearly show voltage drop below critical 3.7V, reaching yellow or even red level on some cells. It may remains on safe green during hover, but generally it's a sign of weakness. Higher than 50C temperature is another indication of weak battery.

As for - say - a year old battery still in the box, better make sure they're not dead already since the voltage may drop below not recoverable level. Simply charge them, update their FW and fly. Later you may store these at 50% charge and maintain storage level once every 3 months.
2019-6-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, thanks for the inquiry. The battery life would depend on how you will take care of your batteries. You could also refer to this link for battery care: https://store.dji.com/guides/battery-care-important-think. For the batteries that you will not use for a long term, It is recommended that you keep the Intelligent Flight Batteries charged to 50% when storing them. If storing for a long period of time, we also recommend that you fully discharge them every 3 months. For further information, you may refer to the link below. Hope that this information would clarify your query. Thank you for your support.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... fety+Guidelines.pdf
2019-6-11
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rotating your battery sets is the best way to save them.......as Mathew stated,  year+ old battery in the box might not be good.....use caution!!!

Randy
2019-6-11
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

If long-distance flight endurance doesn't apply to you, then it shouldn't matter about landing when it starts to get low.  If I had to do a 2000m loiter and stay there for a while for a certain period of time then it would matter.  Insane reliability though.
2019-6-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-13 04:28
If long-distance flight endurance doesn't apply to you, then it shouldn't matter about landing when it starts to get low.  If I had to do a 2000m loiter and stay there for a while for a certain period of time then it would matter.  Insane reliability though.

I'm sorry to say, but you're giving misleading advice. Aged battery is not only of decreased capacity, but the voltage of some cells may drop below certain safe level when under heavy load. This - in turn - may cause confusion of internal brain every DJI battery is equipped with, and mid-flight failure.

So, shortened flight time is the last thing you should worry about. Healthy battery will deliver solid and equal current from every cell no matter how hard the throttle is pushed, displaying voltage above 3.7V threshold. Old, exhausted one may not and should be discarded.  
2019-6-13
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-13 22:42
I'm sorry to say, but you're giving misleading advice. Aged battery is not only of decreased capacity, but the voltage of some cells may drop below certain safe level when under heavy load. This - in turn - may cause confusion of internal brain every DJI battery is equipped with, and mid-flight failure.

So, shortened flight time is the last thing you should worry about. Healthy battery will deliver solid and equal current from every cell no matter how hard the throttle is pushed, displaying voltage above 3.7V threshold. Old, exhausted one may not and should be discarded.

If you use DIY RC products, At full throttle, you will have higher speeds at the beginning of the charge but towards the end, it starts to bog down.  If you mean DJI governs the speed to how it is at 3.7V even at the max then it won't matter but ungoverned towards the end of the battery, it Will be slower.
2019-6-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-14 02:37
If you use DIY RC products, At full throttle, you will have higher speeds at the beginning of the charge but towards the end, it starts to bog down.  If you mean DJI governs the speed to how it is at 3.7V even at the max then it won't matter but ungoverned towards the end of the battery, it Will be slower.

No, you don't understand the mechanism of "smart" circuitry build in DJI batteries. It's not to govern or control the quad's performance, it's to monitor the state of battery itself and trigger warnings if anything goes wrong. It will determine when the battery need to be deep-cycled in order to balance cell's voltage, assuming that it is still possible regardless the number of charging cycles (battery deterioration). The battery will deteriorate in time no matter what, used regularly or not, even if well maintained in storage. Old, exhausted battery may be charged successfully, but the voltage may drop rapidly and unevenly on certain cells during flight, get overheated and eventually - in very rare and unfortunate situations - fail mid flight. That's the risk you wan't to avoid, I guess. Unless you don't really care ...
2019-6-14
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-14 11:22
No, you don't understand the mechanism of "smart" circuitry build in DJI batteries. It's not to govern or control the quad's performance, it's to monitor the state of battery itself and trigger warnings if anything goes wrong. It will determine when the battery need to be deep-cycled in order to balance cell's voltage, assuming that it is still possible regardless the number of charging cycles (battery deterioration). The battery will deteriorate in time no matter what, used regularly or not, even if well maintained in storage. Old, exhausted battery may be charged successfully, but the voltage may drop rapidly and unevenly on certain cells during flight, get overheated and eventually - in very rare and unfortunate situations - fail mid flight. That's the risk you wan't to avoid, I guess. Unless you don't really care ...

So with 30% remaining you can still fly 46mph?
2019-6-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-14 13:48
So with 30% remaining you can still fly 46mph?

Absolutely yes, assuming healthy battery! You can attempt to fly at top speed even with old, worn out battery, but she may protest and warn you. That's why we have dedicated page in Go app to monitor battery performance when in doubt.
2019-6-14
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-14 22:10
Absolutely yes, assuming healthy battery! You can attempt to fly at top speed even with old, worn out battery, but she may protest and warn you. That's why we have dedicated page in Go app to monitor battery performance when in doubt.

It varies though so it doesn't matter too much.  Even at 100% with high enough winds, it won't do 46MPH.  I was limited to 13mph in Sport one time on the Mavic 2 Zoom.
2019-6-15
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-15 01:45
It varies though so it doesn't matter too much.  Even at 100% with high enough winds, it won't do 46MPH.  I was limited to 13mph in Sport one time on the Mavic 2 Zoom.

And you're wrong again ... Your top speed will remain the same, more or less as specified. However, you must consider wind's speed and orientation to calculate resulting aircraft speed relative to the ground below. Luckily the app does these calculations for you.
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-16 00:28
And you're wrong again ... Your top speed will remain the same, more or less as specified. However, you must consider wind's speed and orientation to calculate resulting aircraft speed relative to the ground below. Luckily the app does these calculations for you.

3.7V per cell vs 4.4V on a 4S.  I forgot how it works exactly but the voltage determines the maximum kV and watt power per motor.
2019-6-16
Use props
MattMo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1226608 ft
France

Dji is actually pretty good at matching cells on their batteries. I have P4 batteries that have flown a lot and still deliver perfectly.
2019-6-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-16 04:32
3.7V per cell vs 4.4V on a 4S.  I forgot how it works exactly but the voltage determines the maximum kV and watt power per motor.

No, voltage alone doesn't determine anything. Current draw does instead. ESC circuitry is taking care of delivering constant power to the motor, regardless battery voltage at any given moment of flight. As the voltage drops during flight, the draw current must increase to deliver constant power. This is the scenario when old, weak and exhausted battery may exhibit issues.
2019-6-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

MattMo Posted at 6-16 08:13
Dji is actually pretty good at matching cells on their batteries. I have P4 batteries that have flown a lot and still deliver perfectly.

That's the whole idea behind "smart" circuitry...
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-16 10:03
No, voltage alone doesn't determine anything. Current draw does instead. ESC circuitry is taking care of delivering constant power to the motor, regardless battery voltage at any given moment of flight. As the voltage drops during flight, the draw current must increase to deliver constant power. This is the scenario when old, weak and exhausted battery may exhibit issues.

I know, it regulates the power but it can only give as much as the battery can give.
2019-6-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-16 12:10
I know, it regulates the power but it can only give as much as the battery can give.

No, the battery can and will deliver the current as big as is required to maintain top speed until the voltage drops below certain level, signalling time to go home for refuelling. Naturally new battery will do it longer than the old one.

I think the topic of this thread is explained well enough, let's wrap it up ...
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-16 14:19
No, the battery can and will deliver the current as big as is required to maintain top speed until the voltage drops below certain level, signalling time to go home for refuelling. Naturally new battery will do it longer than the old one.

I think the topic of this thread is explained well enough, let's wrap it up  ...

How do you know exactly?  Have you ran 46mph with 30% remaining?
2019-6-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-16 14:43
How do you know exactly?  Have you ran 46mph with 30% remaining?

During test of one aging battery pair on my Inspire 2 (.0300 FW) and totally calm winter day I maintained 92 km/hr constant speed for approx. 8 minutes until some cell's voltage dropped below 3.7 and I decided to land with 20% power left. Test was performed in Atti Mode at full throttle, batteries were cycled 82 times over 2 yr. period. Still in use for less power demanding missions.
2019-6-16
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-16 16:47
During test of one aging battery pair on my Inspire 2 (.0300 FW) and totally calm winter day I maintained 92 km/hr constant speed for approx. 8 minutes until some cell's voltage dropped below 3.7 and I decided to land with 20% power left. Test was performed in Atti Mode at full throttle, batteries were cycled 82 times over 2 yr. period. Still in use for less power demanding missions.

I don't care too much about the performance dropping because when the winds are high enough you can't even fly at max speed even with 90% battery left.
2019-6-16
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

AntDX316 Posted at 6-16 17:32
I don't care too much about the performance dropping because when the winds are high enough you can't even fly at max speed even with 90% battery left.

Ant, I'm not sure we're on the same page and frequency ... The topic of this thread is NOT about maximum speed of your quad, any DJI quad for this matter. It is NOT about YOU caring much or not at all for (battery) performance dropping. However, it is about how DJI batteries deteriorate in time and how it may put your drone in dangerous situation mid flight, if not monitored properly. I hope you'll never experience catastrophic failure as a result of ignored signs of aging, poorly performing battery ...
2019-6-16
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-16 19:07
Ant, I'm not sure we're on the same page and frequency ... The topic of this thread is NOT about maximum speed of your quad, any DJI quad for this matter. It is NOT about YOU caring much or not at all for (battery) performance dropping. However, it is about how DJI batteries deteriorate in time and how it may put your drone in dangerous situation mid flight, if not monitored properly. I hope you'll never experience catastrophic failure as a result of ignored signs of aging, poorly performing battery ...

Nice job  Matthew providing good and accurate information. Somehow I do not think you guys are connecting?!@?
Yes the Inspire 2 will go the designed speed right down to the last available percentage of battery power (based on health) BUT. Once the battery voltage drops below the threshold per cell  the Intelligent circuit will reduce the available current to the aircraft, so it can be landed safely.  (so the battery cannot be over discharged)

For me its not about how long .. how fast .. how high..  its about getting the shot or job done safely.

All the best! you have been a trouper and its probably time to bail  
Rich
2019-6-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 6-17 13:45
Nice job  Matthew providing good and accurate information. Somehow I do not think you guys are connecting?!@?
Yes the Inspire 2 will go the designed speed right down to the last available percentage of battery power (based on health) BUT. Once the battery voltage drops below the threshold per cell  the Intelligent circuit will reduce the available current to the aircraft, so it can be landed safely.  (so the battery cannot be over discharged)

Exactly ... I wasn't sure Ant was receiving on the same freq ... Oh, well ... Yes, of course the battery brain will not allow for brutal drainage at the very bottom of fuel tank, but for sure not at 30% left ... And yes, I'm not getting a boner at 90 km/hr either ... Some guys, however, are so excited to challenge world speed record with DJI drones ... There's an Italian stud driving Inspire into the sea against heavy wind and back just to see 140 km/speed on dial! Imagine that ...

BTW, just finished installation of new hydraulic brakes on my 3-axle boat trailer ... F@#$%, what a back-breaking job for old fart like myself !!!

Cheers, Brother Rich.
2019-6-17
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't pay attention too much to the speed.  I had to recharge my batteries so many times today that my controller went Half battery.  At 350m I was getting cut-outs.  When the transmitter battery starts to degrade the range is gone.
2019-6-17
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 6-17 14:12
Exactly ... I wasn't sure Ant was receiving on the same freq  ... Oh, well ... Yes, of course the battery brain will not allow for brutal drainage at the very bottom of fuel tank, but for sure not at 30% left ... And yes, I'm not getting a boner at 90 km/hr either ... Some guys, however, are so excited to challenge world speed record with DJI drones ... There's an Italian stud driving Inspire into the sea against heavy wind and back just to see 140 km/speed on dial! Imagine that  ...

BTW, just finished installation of new hydraulic brakes on my 3-axle boat trailer ... F@#$%, what a black-breaking job for old fart like myself !!!

Agree with you fully.

You need to get some help with that trailer!! If you go and hurt yourself then no drone flying for you

All the best
Hopefully you are heading out to sea  

Rich
2019-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules