9128 56 2019-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
escore
Second Officer
Flight distance : 775568 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Would be interested as I'm a developer, but S1 isn't available at Finland so far :/
2019-7-14
Use props
Hutchenanigans
lvl.1
Australia

Working in a school I would grab a bunch in a heartbeat if it were actually available in Australia. The kids have loved working with the Ryze Tellos and if this was as easy to begin with it would fit right in.
2019-7-15
Use props
rhoude57 - YUL
lvl.4
Canada

Already got my 2nd one!
2019-8-1
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

Yeah this is a narrow niche market product.  I'm an old engineer learning new tricks with Python and I find the S1 a fascinating platform to encourage (and make more fun) code development.

As a remote controlled battle toy, it has limited appeal, and would quickly become a dust collector, for those with the coin to waste.

I'm having fun with mine, but am not really interested in twitch games, just seeing what my new code does, and I don't have to worry about crashing or losing a flying vehicle.

That said, I am hoping DJI releases the S1 into the Open Source domain, then we can have some real fun with it.  If they don't and keep all the cool features locked up behind proprietary code, then I will probably give it up in favor of a more expensive open source kit bot of my own design.  In that respect, the S1 could be a considered a stepping stone into robotics, but is lacking some key features common to the genre, for example motion detectors, Input / Output, raw video feed, access to the OS and file system, etc.

Clearly DJI is promoting their Robomaster tournaments and the S1 is a good way to pump enthusiasm.   Note that S1 means "Step 1", so we can only assume an "S2" in the future if the numbers are there for DJI.
2019-8-2
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4
United States

After some consideration, I have put my order in for a 2nd S1.  It will certainly help promote the club.
2019-8-25
Use props
albertr
lvl.3
United States

Will be getting one the day DJI opens up its software or somebody will figure out how to hack it.

-albertr
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm a little too old at this point in the lifecycle, had it been introduced in 1984 when I was 9 years old then I'd say it would have been a great addition to program on using my then Apple IIc :-)
2019-8-25
Use props
Duane Degn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622234 ft
United States

MarkusXL Posted at 8-2 08:33
Yeah this is a narrow niche market product.  I'm an old engineer learning new tricks with Python and I find the S1 a fascinating platform to encourage (and make more fun) code development.

As a remote controlled battle toy, it has limited appeal, and would quickly become a dust collector, for those with the coin to waste.

"I am hoping DJI releases the S1 into the Open Source domain"
Yes, this would make the S! really useful.
DJI does have several open source development boards for other Robomaster products. I really hope the S1 software is added to their open source library.

BTW, the poll doesn't include the option "already have one."
2019-8-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 14:25
I'm a little too old at this point in the lifecycle, had it been introduced in 1984 when I was 9 years old then I'd say it would have been a great addition to program on using my then Apple IIc :-)

Exactly my thoughts.  
2019-8-26
Use props
BGA
Second Officer

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-25 14:25
I'm a little too old at this point in the lifecycle, had it been introduced in 1984 when I was 9 years old then I'd say it would have been a great addition to program on using my then Apple IIc :-)

Well, I am 44, bought 2 of those and I am having lots of fun (specially when playing with my older kid). So I guess it varies.
2019-9-12
Use props
MarkusXL
lvl.4

I'm 55, veteran engineer, like several of us S1 owners, primarily interesting in Python programming the S1, and then got another S1, to be able to program one vs. the other.

And to kick it up a notch, we plan gatherings of S1 pilots and battle it out with gel bead cannons!  It would be pretty cool to see flying drones with hit detectors doing that!
2019-9-12
Use props
H. Arif - Nobody
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft

Mhinc Posted at 6-12 22:25
This seems to be more of a "Teen Product"  I can't say I would ever make this purchase for myself.  I would really like to see DJI come out with a waterproof drone that can compete with the Swellpro Spry

Lol. I can confidently say its for an audience younger than teens. I could barely pay-off my Spark, there is no way I'd pay that much for a toy.
2019-9-16
Use props
H. Arif - Nobody
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft

Not available in Canada, either way, even with my job, It's way too expensive for me.
2019-9-16
Use props
ernie_e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 299380 ft
United States

Looks like fun for a rainy day.
2020-1-18
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

ernie_e Posted at 1-18 18:12
Looks like fun for a rainy day.

I'm thinking of purchasing one, but the talk of M3 coming out is what;s holding me back.
2020-1-18
Use props
Damo111
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I brought on one, so learning to program would be more...its a great toy+
2020-1-19
Use props
Bitmizu
lvl.1

Singapore

No. I rather spent the money on drones and get something cheap and yet educational for my children to learn. Robomaster S1 and S1 EP is only good enough to be a children toy and these are too luxurious to buy  as a kid's toy.
2020-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules