Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Firmware reverts to previous EIS build...Third time lucky perhaps
123Next >
6041 96 2019-6-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Edit 6:- 24th July:- After waiting two days for the Osmo Action to mature a bit, I decided to jump in again after identifying a device locally available that has been manufacture in June 2019, the first two were both April 2019. Hopefully I will have more success with the firmware on this model which I plan to manually download and install via micro SD card (if the activation process allows). This unit also has extra hole(s) in side as described in this other Thread.

Edit 5:- 22nd July:- After much deliberation I've obtained a refund on this faulty unit, the previous 'work around' to update to V01.03 seems to have been just that, other than a permanent fix. Which leads me to believe that as the unit failed again just after latest update (V01.04) that there is in fact some kind of hardware problem with a certain batch of cameras (this was my second unit, after first had failed in exactly the same manor).

Edit 4:- 21st July:- After upgrading my Osmo Action to V01.04.00.10 when it was released (17th July), my camera now seems to have reverted back to the functionality of the V01.03.00.10 build. First noticed today (21st July, four days after update).
For example I no longer see the 'RS' icon on front screen, I no longer see 'underwater white balance', and so on.
I have edited thread title to reflect what I believe to be the problem from my perspective.

Edit 3:- 13th July:- After transferring my log file to DJI they provided me with a sollution to the problem, my camera is presently at V01.03.00.10(6460) with Rocksteady and 2&5 second delay for photos now working. I will post again should the problem reoccur :-)

Edit 2:-  5th July:- After a few days use the problem mentioned previously returned, please see Post 33 onwards for ongoing progress.

Edit  1:-  30th June:- After much consideration I decided to buy another DJI Action, this time I've had no problems at all after updating the firmware on 28th.
One of the draws for me was the HDR video, BUT no stabilisation. So I've decided to try this out with my DJI Mobile 2 (which was gathering dust), should give me some nice stable 4k HDR video IF it works. But also wider angle stable 4k if required, the rock steady is superb when not in HDR mode, but cuts off the unwanted bits of the image round the sides, which may be undesirable at times.

Bought previously (11th June 2019), upgraded firmware via MIMO, all successfully working at V01.03.00.10. Checked that Rock Steady was being displayed. And have taken a few videos and photos today. All seemed fine until I noticed this evening that RS was no longer on offer, EIS was now being displayed on screen.

This evening I downloaded firmware to micro SD, but presumably because the camera is at latest build the file on the sd card does not get used to refresh firmware as I'd hoped it might.
I've tried powering off & on, factory reset doesn't seem to be an option although I tried variuos button combinations, but to no avail.

Has anybody else seen this at all, any way to force firmware refresh ?

Edit:- When I try to load the .bin file manually in the micro SD card it returns the followin as a .txt file :-

[00002135]
========== 2019.06.13 16:04:43 remo-con disconnect======
[00002144]Packet: OSMO_ACTION_FW_V01.03.00.10.bin [00002147]

I 'assume' this means it hasn't attempted to update as it is already at that build level.
2019-6-12
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

You sure in Settings/About, it shows 01.03.00.10?

I just checked and that's my version but I see "RS" showing on the screen.

I don't think that I've taken a video since the update though.

4K 30fps.  In video options I have the BLUE Rocksteady text box and can toggle on/off.

I may not recall but I thought one of the Mods mentioned that there is NO way to refresh or reload firmware - which, in my opinion, needs to be fixed/changed.

2019-6-12
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-12 18:09

I just checked and that's my version but I see "RS" showing on the screen.

I would agree entirely with what you've said, that was what I saw after the update. And that was how it worked most of the day when testing. I had it plugged into PC and transferred files for viewing and tried out various test shots in 4k & 1080P with dewarp & RS throughout the day.

Also shows as EIS on MIMO.
2019-06-13 120616-1314886 - Copy.JPG
2019-06-13 120728-1485305 - Copy.JPG
2019-06-13 120740-1425370 - Copy.JPG
2019-06-13 120804-1486107 - Copy.JPG
2019-06-13 121900-713584 - Copy.PNG
2019-06-13 122023-144164 - Copy.PNG
2019-6-13
Use props
HDRushmore
lvl.1
Brunei

That's strange... Maybe bug?
2019-6-13
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HDRushmore Posted at 6-13 04:33
That's strange... Maybe bug?

Must be, the image stabilisation still works, and the camera appears fully functional.
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

I still have rocksteady.
Must be a bug you can trigger by doing something in some order.
2019-6-13
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

I still don't believe it - just kidding.  That's pretty convincing evidence of EIS rather than Rocksteady!  I have gym in a bit but will do some testing later if I can.
2019-6-13
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-13 05:56
I still don't believe it - just kidding.  That's pretty convincing evidence of EIS rather than Rocksteady!  I have gym in a bit but will do some testing later if I can.

And as additional, I can turn the sound off which was not an option on previous build I believe.

I think, as suggested in post 6, some permutation of events has caused this. Perhaps even MIMO overwriting something.

I will wait with baited breath for the next release :-)

At this moment I have stabilisation, whether it's Rocksteady with the wrong label or EIS I do not know.

Would be nice to have a rollback or refresh routine built into DJI Assistant 2 for it.

Edit:- I suspect it's using EIS, as although there is a delay on image it's only slight, I seem to remember it was more pronounced on RS.
2019-6-13
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

peiter Posted at 6-13 05:39
I still have rocksteady.
Must be a bug you can trigger by doing something in some order.

I hope that is the case and the next firmware (or MIMO perhaps) release will resolve it.
2019-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 6-13 06:33
And as additional, I can turn the sound off which was not an option on previous build I believe.

I think, as suggested in post 6, some permutation of events has caused this. Perhaps even MIMO overwriting something.

All OA arrived with EIS and updating FW changed to RS, option to mute sound was always there.
2019-6-13
Use props
peiter
First Officer
Denmark

Indeed i just saw that in the menu, but have not tried to lower or silence my camera.
2019-6-13
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-13 08:36
All OA arrived with EIS and updating FW changed to RS, option to mute sound was always there.

"option to mute sound was always there."

Good point, I'd misread one post and assumed that the 'off' was part of latest build.

But the machine reverting to EIS seems unusual
2019-6-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Aardvark Posted at 6-13 10:07
"option to mute sound was always there."

Good point, I'd misread one post and assumed that the 'off' was part of latest build.

There is another similar case of EIS here somewhere on last FW, I’ve tried to find it but no luck, if I find it I’ll post link, moderators should be able to help .
2019-6-13
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-12 18:09

I just checked and that's my version but I see "RS" showing on the screen.

"I may not recall but I thought one of the Mods mentioned that there is NO way to refresh or reload firmware - which, in my opinion, needs to be fixed/changed."

I found it Here
2019-6-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Aardvark, sorry for the troubles after the firmware update, this has been escalated to our engineers for further check, I will come back to you once I hear anything from them, please wait patiently, thank you.
2019-6-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-14 03:12
Hi Aardvark, sorry for the troubles after the firmware update, this has been escalated to our engineers for further check, I will come back to you once I hear anything from them, please wait patiently, thank you.

Thank you DJI Mindy, I look forward to the reply.
2019-6-14
Use props
treben
lvl.3
Flight distance : 281916 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm on firmware v1.03 and it shows as RS for me.
2019-6-14
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-14 03:12
Hi Aardvark, sorry for the troubles after the firmware update, this has been escalated to our engineers for further check, I will come back to you once I hear anything from them, please wait patiently, thank you.

After checking, it looks as if my Osmo Action may have reverted to the first build.

On checking there are no two and five second timers in photo 'countdown mode' that were introduced in build V01.02.00.10.

It looks like the update using Mimo 1.1.6 has failed or perhaps only partially successful.

Although it still shows in 'About' as being V01.03.00.10.
2019-6-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Further to the above I have returned the camera to the retailer and obtained a refund.

I was in the position I had no way of proving whether this was caused by a firmware or hardware fault, as there was no option to revert or refresh the firmware. Had I waited for next update, there is no guarantee that I wouldn't have seen similar problems, perhaps due to some hardware problem. In the meantime it may then be beyond the refund date as provided by the retailer. I might have accepted a replacement had they any in stock.

As it was I asked for a refund, after having to show the sales assistant proof of what his companies policy was regarding faulty items.

As it is I am now on the market for an action camera :-)
2019-6-15
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 6-15 09:44
Further to the above I have returned the camera to the retailer and obtained a refund.

I was in the position I had no way of proving whether this was caused by a firmware or hardware fault, as there was no option to revert or refresh the firmware. Had I waited for next update, there is no guarantee that I wouldn't have seen similar problems, perhaps due to some hardware problem. In the meantime it may then be beyond the refund date as provided by the retailer. I might have accepted a replacement had they any in stock.

Sorry to hear that.

I still would not mind your opinion on my question in the Hyperlapse thread - I'm going to understand this if it kills me!  But from what I've read, at least, the competition has hyperlapse!
2019-6-15
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 6-15 09:49
Sorry to hear that.

I still would not mind your opinion on my question in the Hyperlapse thread - I'm going to understand this if it kills me!  But from what I've read, at least, the competition has hyperlapse!

I'll decide over the next few days regarding camera.

In the meantime I found a nice demo of timelapse and hyperlapse which I've posted in the other thread.
2019-6-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi Aardvark, sorry for the late response, per our engineers, we need the logs or the device for further analysis. Since you already returned the device, the seller surely will send back to DJI. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and please let us know if you have further concern.
2019-6-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-18 00:35
Hi Aardvark, sorry for the late response, per our engineers, we need the logs or the device for further analysis. Since you already returned the device, the seller surely will send back to DJI. Sorry for the inconvenience caused and please let us know if you have further concern.

Thank you for the reply, yes, presumably the retailer will return the unit to DJI for replacement.

How could the logs for the unit be obtained, I assume that can only be done by DJI's engineers ?

2019-6-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 6-18 00:58
Thank you for the reply, yes, presumably the retailer will return the unit to DJI for replacement.

How could the logs for the unit be obtained, I assume that can only be done by DJI's engineers ?

Please turn on the hidden item view permission first, such as tick "Hidden items", then the Osmo Action's camera logs are files stored under the /MISC/LOG/ Folder in the SD card directory.
2019-6-20
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-20 04:39
Please turn on the hidden item view permission first, such as tick "Hidden items", then the Osmo Action's camera logs are files stored under the /MISC/LOG/ Folder in the SD card directory.

Ah, thank you, I never thought to look for hidden folders.

I will bear this in mind should I purchase the Osmo Action again. It's a pity there was no way to force a firmware refresh on the device, that may have resolved my problem.
2019-6-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 6-20 11:51
Ah, thank you, I never thought to look for hidden folders.

I will bear this in mind should I purchase the Osmo Action again. It's a pity there was no way to force a firmware refresh on the device, that may have resolved my problem.

I understand, unfortunately, the firmware is unable to be refreshed, we have forwarded your concern to our engineers for consideration, hope we can support you next time.
2019-6-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 6-13 08:36

This was where I read it, straight from the R&D team:-

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 243&pid=1881458
2019-6-29
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 6-21 01:55
I understand, unfortunately, the firmware is unable to be refreshed, we have forwarded your concern to our engineers for consideration, hope we can support you next time.

DJI Mindy, I have now experienced exactly the same problem with a second Osmo Action camera.
I purchased this from a local retailer on 26th of June (different retailer than first camera).

I check initial firmware (V01.01.00.20(6009) ) and then formatted a 64 GB Sandisk  Extreme micro SD card (U3 V30) installed in the Osmo Action.
I then updated to latest firmware V01.03.00.10(6460) using DJI MIMO, after which all seemed to work well over the next few days with me using the camera for several hours on different settings.

Yesterday (Sunday 30th June) I removed the 64GB card, I then replaced that card with a 16GB Sandisk Extreme card (U3 V30) and formatted it. All appeared well until I notice later in the day, that instead of displaying 'Rock Steady' the camera was displaying 'EIS' on its screen. All references within MIMO had also changed from Rocksteady or RS, to EIS.

The camera has reverted to its initial build in terms of functionality, but now displays V01.03.00.10 (6009) in 'About' suggesting something is not quite right.
Had it been at the correct build I would expect to see V01.03.00.10(6460) and not V01.03.00.10 (6009).
Note that the initial firmware number shown when camera first taken out of box was 01.01.00.20(6009).

I do not know precisely when the change to EIS took place, but it seems too much of a coincidence that it was after formatting a smaller card that I became aware of the problem. This would have been the same for my first camera.
There are no faults in the SD cards that I'm aware of with all working well on PC, and aircraft.

Could this caused by a hardware failure, or has the firmware caused hardware failure ?

What I find surprising is that there are no other reports of this on the forum, are DJI aware yet of any others with same problem.

Given that I cannot roll back the firmware or refresh the firmware I am now in a position of owning a new camera that is not working as it should.

The next firmware build may or may not fix things, depending on its release  I now have to consider over the next few days whether to return this second unit for a refund.
2019-7-2
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-2 01:10
DJI Mindy, I have now experienced exactly the same problem with a second Osmo Action camera.
I purchased this from a local retailer on 26th of June (different retailer than first camera).

All I can do is post some speculation!   Is it possible that the camera continues to rely on some file (hidden or not) that is on the card used when the firmware was updated and changing to another card, well, that file is now missing?  

Maybe putting a new card into the camera triggers another firmware "update" although, NOT REALLY?  

I remember when I first got the Action and was updating the firmware.  I had not initially put a card in and the process stopped, asked for a card and then continued.  So you can either do the update online but it still downloads the firmware to the card and proceeds like it would if you upgraded by placing the xxx.bin file on the card.  Have you put the original card back in?   How about checking if there are any files in the root folder and copying those to the new card?

2019-7-2
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 7-2 06:58
All I can do is post some speculation!   Is it possible that the camera continues to rely on some file (hidden or not) that is on the card used when the firmware was updated and changing to another card, well, that file is now missing?  

Maybe putting a new card into the camera triggers another firmware "update" although, NOT REALLY?  

When the camera updates it creates a .txt file with the result of the upgrade, it also generates log files in a hidden folder it creates on the sd card. The operating system on the camera should not be dependant on anything contained in the sd card.

I've tried 'refreshing' the firmware with the .bin file on the sd card, there is no refresh option as such. I believe that because it sees the firmware at V01.03.00.10 it does not attempt to over-write it with the file on the sd card.

Perhaps if somebody still has a downloaded copy of the v01.02.00.10 they could pass to me, then I might try that and see if it can be rolled back (unlikely but worth a try).
2019-7-2
Use props
MKosmo
First Officer
United Kingdom

what a strange issue, since I would imagine each new firmware flash would overwrite the previous one - so for 'old' functionality such as EIS to re-appear is most peculiar.

If it is the format of the smaller cards thats caused a problem, is it worth trying a format of the larger card again since and see if the problem is still there ? ( probably will be .... since if its overwritten something its overwritten ! )     Maybe its a problem with formatting  the relatively small 16GB card ( has this ever worked for you ok ? ) , or maybe its a problem of subsequent formats after a larger card to a smaller card size.

Then as an absolute last ditch suggestion ( and this could corrupt data ) how about removing the battery whilst powered on. On the subsequent power up this could force a cold start power up, rather than allowing the normal controlled power down sequence - which may have got itself stuck in a undefined state.

2019-7-2
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MKosmo Posted at 7-2 08:50
what a strange issue, since I would imagine each new firmware flash would overwrite the previous one - so for 'old' functionality such as EIS to re-appear is most peculiar.

If it is the format of the smaller cards thats caused a problem, is it worth trying a format of the larger card again since and see if the problem is still there ? ( probably will be .... since if its overwritten something its overwritten ! )     Maybe its a problem with formatting  the relatively small 16GB card ( has this ever worked for you ok ? ) , or maybe its a problem of subsequent formats after a larger card to a smaller card size.

It is indeed strange, I would think along the same lines in that the current build would over-write any old code. But it would seem not to be the case. Either that or something has failed in the connection with DJI MIMO (1.16). one or the other may have corrupted the camera data.
In the short term the camera is performing well, I continue to use it. Today a time-lapse and 1080P 30fps video, both of which worked well. Impossible to say whether it's old or new firmware other than EIS displayed and no 2 & 5 second shutter delays in 'photograph' mode, as introduced by the V01.02.xx.xx variety.
2019-7-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 7-2 01:10
I purchased this from a local retailer on 26th of June (different retailer than first camera).

Hi Aardvark, sorry to know the issue happened again in your second Osmo Action, actually we didn't receive other users reported the same problem.
We have updated the EIS to RockSteady in v01.02.00.10, if you have updated to v01.03.00.10, the EIS should not be displayed again. Could you please export the all the files under /MISC/LOG/ (which is a hidden file in SD card) and then upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here?
2019-7-3
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-3 02:41
Hi Aardvark, sorry to know the issue happened again in your second Osmo Action, actually we didn't receive other users reported the same problem.
We have updated the EIS to RockSteady in v01.02.00.10, if you have updated to v01.03.00.10, the EIS should not be displayed again. Could you please export the all the files under /MISC/LOG/ (which is a hidden file in SD card) and then upload to Dropbox or Google Drive and post the link here?

Thank you for your reply, I would be happier sending the links to you by personal message for you to pass to your engineers. I do not know what, if any, personal information may be contained in the logs and would rather not post them publicly.
2019-7-3
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-3 13:48
Thank you for your reply, I would be happier sending the links to you by personal message for you to pass to your engineers. I do not know what, if any, personal information may be contained in the logs and would rather not post them publicly.

They are huge and not plain ascii text files.  I don't blame you.  I can't load them into a few "readers."
2019-7-3
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ff22 Posted at 7-3 15:20
They are huge and not plain ascii text files.  I don't blame you.  I can't load them into a few "readers."

I had thought about reading them with a Hex' editor, but any text is likely to be in Mandarin Chinese, which I'm not familiar with, although my niece (through marriage) could probably help out there, being a Chinese citizen :-)
2019-7-3
Use props
ff22
Captain
United States

Aardvark Posted at 7-3 15:42
I had thought about reading them with a Hex' editor, but any text is likely to be in Mandarin Chinese, which I'm not familiar with, although my niece (through marriage) could probably help out there, being a Chinese citizen :-)

Back in the good ol' days, I had a hex reader that could actually filter for sequential ascii text of say a string of 4 or 5 characters next to each other.  Helped filter out single or double character text strings.  But, yes, I don't think it was designed for Chinese! (g)  And who knows what/when or where I found it.  I wouldn't even know what to search for to find that kind of facility.
2019-7-3
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-3 02:41

DJI Mindy, I have now sent you a personal message with a link to two logs files, can you please pass these to your engineers for them to analyse.

Thank you.
2019-7-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 7-4 15:03
DJI Mindy, I have now sent you a personal message with a link to two logs files, can you please pass these to your engineers for them to analyse.

Thank you.

PM has been received, I have transferred it to our engineers for analysis, will come back to you once I hear anything from them, thank you.
2019-7-4
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 7-4 22:18
PM has been received, I have transferred it to our engineers for analysis, will come back to you once I hear anything from them, thank you.

Thank you for your assistance DJI Mindy.

My intention will be to return this product for a full refund if no proven firmware resolution is found by 19th July.

The point being that if this is a hardware problem (different retailer, but part of same batch perhaps) then I would not be comfortable with a replacement unit until the Osmo Action has proven itself over a longer period.
2019-7-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules