Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pregnant batteries Mavic Platinum
1861 9 2019-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

I have 4 batteries for Mavic.  All 4 manufactured in Dec 2017 or Jan 2018.  Purchased from a DJI dealer with the Mavic.  Each have about 60 charges.  I have them discharge after 5 days and most of time I fly before the 5 day period.  A couple times they have started discharging.  I recharged fully before using.  Suddenly 3 of the batteries are slightly swollen.  The bottom plastic piece slightly extended and soft like jelly.  3 questions....  1)  The obvious...  are they bad?   2) Any theories on cause?  All 4 batteries were treated similarly, why only 3 of the 4 and why at the same time?    3)   what is the normal life span of a battery.  I was under the impression a battery should last about 150-200 charges.
2019-6-13
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that - yes, they are bad - you should never fly with swollen batteries. The cells are now decimated. As for the cause - given that three batteries swelled together I can only presume they overheated either when discharging or due to the heat in the room they were stored. Batteries can last for years.
2019-6-14
Use props
Dronin
lvl.4
Mexico

AJC-W Posted at 6-14 09:59
Sorry to read that - yes, they are bad - you should never fly with swollen batteries. The cells are now decimated. As for the cause - given that three batteries swelled together I can only presume they overheated either when discharging or due to the heat in the room they were stored. Batteries can last for years.

thank you.    Maybe they were discharging in the case...    oh well....   thanks for your time.
2019-6-24
Use props
AJC-W
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dronin Posted at 6-24 13:06
thank you.    Maybe they were discharging in the case...    oh well....   thanks for your time.

You’re welcome
2019-6-25
Use props
jajarmy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 162536 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

any good tips to take care of the batteries?
2019-6-25
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

There is a reason for 200 charges or max 6 month warranty!  
Very few pilots  reach 200 flights on one battery in 6 month, so 6 month is far earlier, before they can get bad.
Aside that heavy using (down to 1 digit percentage) can stress 'em more, sport, high winds, whatever may need high/long high amps, is rubbing down lifetime.
I have for my Spark a couple of pregnant bats, starting (to notice) at around 90-100 flights.
I still use em, mostly on the ground, calibration, editing, but sometimes even for short testflights

It is unlucky, but aging is also a factor!
2019-6-29
Use props
Dronin
lvl.4
Mexico

S-e-ven Posted at 6-29 05:19
There is a reason for 200 charges or max 6 month warranty!  
Very few pilots  reach 200 flights on one battery in 6 month, so 6 month is far earlier, before they can get bad.
Aside that heavy using (down to 1 digit percentage) can stress 'em more, sport, high winds, whatever may need high/long high amps, is rubbing down lifetime.

interesting,   I did not know there was a warranty.  So a 6 month warranty is a good hint.  I got more than a year out of them so I guess I need to budget that cost into flying.  $90 for 60 full charges... $1.50 a flight..   that is a pretty economical hobby..

and maybe you know.....   when you charge a battery from 50%-100% is it true that only registers as 1/2 charge??

another interesting thing is that the batteries indicate they are good on the app.
2019-7-9
Use props
V炫云、
lvl.1

China

My suggestion is that if you have an authorized store nearby, you can go and have the technicians check it.
2019-7-9
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5910961 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Dronin Posted at 7-9 13:32
interesting,   I did not know there was a warranty.  So a 6 month warranty is a good hint.  I got more than a year out of them so I guess I need to budget that cost into flying.  $90 for 60 full charges... $1.50 a flight..   that is a pretty economical hobby..

and maybe you know.....   when you charge a battery from 50%-100% is it true that only registers as 1/2 charge??

It seems like the batts adding together several semi charges to one full charges.
You can check on that in the app yourself, I mark it //// for every charge I do, and despite that I fly mostly to almost empty, every now and then, when checking the cycles in the app, I have a lesser count.
And that the app tells "good": The app doesnt see the belly. It looks like, you still can get the power out. Perhaps a minute or two less and not flying them that much down and not in sport all the flight any longer. Just the belly will once eject the batt midair , without a batt safety , eventually! (I got some, the pregnant batts are the one with the short locks, till now.)
But I mostly use the old batteries now for data transfer on trips or for calibration and stuff like that, only. Because I like my Sparks a lot! ;-)
2019-7-9
Use props
Dronin
lvl.4
Mexico

S-e-ven Posted at 7-9 17:03
It seems like the batts adding together several semi charges to one full charges.
You can check on that in the app yourself, I mark it //// for every charge I do, and despite that I fly mostly to almost empty, every now and then, when checking the cycles in the app, I have a lesser count.
And that the app tells "good": The app doesnt see the belly. It looks like, you still can get the power out. Perhaps a minute or two less and not flying them that much down and not in sport all the flight any longer. Just the belly will once eject the batt midair , without a batt safety , eventually! (I got some, the pregnant batts are the one with the short locks, till now.)

very helpful..   thanks
2019-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules